British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Taxes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/taxes-853157/)

dishwashing Feb 22nd 2015 4:02 am

Taxes

Do you lot use a DIY software (any good ones) or have an accountant? Just tryin' to decide. Hate filing paperwork

scilly Feb 22nd 2015 4:05 am

Re: Taxes

We used to do our taxes ourselves, but handed it over to an accountant when we were going to spend a year in Australia in 1975/76

Have used an accountant ever since .................. it's much easier to hand everything over to someone who really knows what they are doing. I'm pretty certain that we would not have got a lot of the tax breaks that the various accountants have found for us over the years

nativenewyorker Feb 22nd 2015 5:10 am

My husband (who is an accountant) uses Ufile. It's free the first year for new immigrants and very easy to use.

orly Feb 22nd 2015 6:23 am

Used TurboTax last year and ended up with about $1,600 back between the wife and I. Cost about $40 in total to file both our returns through it. The "wizard" on the site was pretty easy to follow. Took less than an hour to do both and the CRA had no issues either which is always nice. Besides shifting some student tuition type "credits" around our income was pretty simple - just standard employment T4s (no rental income or self employment etc)

adele Feb 22nd 2015 7:18 am

For the past couple of years I've used Studio Tax. Approved for NetFile and it's free.

Aviator Feb 22nd 2015 3:26 pm

Use an accountant, he finds stuff I never would! Saves me way more than he costs.

withabix Feb 22nd 2015 3:27 pm

I will be using TurboTax, when my T4 turns up....

All my colleagues swear by it.

ann m Feb 22nd 2015 3:38 pm

I've used UFile for the past five returns, no issues really.

There is a new section this year relating to the new family tax credit, it's not that easy to understand first run through but got there, and hit submit yesterday!

BristolUK Feb 22nd 2015 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by orly (Post 11572494)
Used TurboTax last year...just standard employment T4s (no rental income or self employment etc)

Originally Posted by adele (Post 11572520)
For the past couple of years I've used Studio Tax. Approved for NetFile and it's free.

That's interesting. We used StudioTax for several years and then TurboTax took them over...or something.

Scrub that....QuickTax was what we originally used. StudioTax was one we tried that also worked well.

Anyhow, both of them and others we experimented with were all good and coped with rental income and UK income.

Free for incomes under something like $20k but not expensive anyway.

They also retain much of the info in subsequent years.

Shirtback Feb 22nd 2015 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by adele (Post 11572520)

+1 for Studio Tax. It was recommended to me here last year, & I'm now a fan.

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11572812)
Use an accountant, he finds stuff I never would! Saves me way more than he costs.

I think this depends on one's circumstances, sources of income for example (self-employed, employee, overseas income, investments, etc etc). Also ROI: it's worth my time to do it myself.

I'm not anti-accountants for tax returns per se (in spite of two horrendously awful experiences with them over the years), however if one only has employment income, DIY is pretty straight forward.

I learned to DIY when trying to understand (& ultimately fix, with the help of CRA & Revenu Quebec; and in the second incident help from this forum) horrendously awful accountant mistakes.

JB0591 Feb 22nd 2015 5:04 pm

I use Genutax, it is free. I have looked at using an accountant before because we had the house rented in UK and then we sold it. But the prices i was quoted for tax return preparation is crazy.

JonboyE Feb 22nd 2015 5:08 pm

If your income comes on T slips you can enter them into a computer program just a easily as an accountant can.

vanity Feb 22nd 2015 7:32 pm

I have some other items which I need to declare and am trying to find a good accountant - please PM is anyone knows a good one.

OP - have heard good things about Turbo and Studio.

Novocastrian Feb 22nd 2015 8:16 pm

Quicktax/Turbotax user here. Never had a problem in the several years I've used it.

Back 10+ years ago, the OH was self employed so we used an accountant for that.

BTW does anyone know if the dreaded T1135 can be done online this year?

JonboyE Feb 22nd 2015 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11573109)
BTW does anyone know if the dreaded T1135 can be done online this year?

Well, according to the instructions of the version of the form on the CRA's website individuals can electronically file the form using Netfile (available to the public) or E-file (available to professional tax preparers).

I use a program called Profile which is the market leading professional tax preparation program in Canada. It says I cannot.