Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Tax-smart" UK investing from Canada

"Tax-smart" UK investing from Canada

Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Tax-smart" UK investing from Canada

Originally Posted by Hobbess
It was a deliberate decision at 1.79 when I needed to last bring money over to instead get my CAD$ from a relativley low interest rate credit line. I thought at the time it was a 6-month plan to wait till about now and would see the rate back over 1.8 and closer to 1.9. However it's since dropped like a stone and I now think realistically a UK recovery may take a few years.

The good news is I've almost been able to pay off the credit line through tax returns and other CAD$ received so I get to reset my plans a little.

Question that is somewhat linked to my shares post earlier. If you receive UK£ after becoming resident, say from a house sale, is it valued on the day you recieve it? This was my point on the shares, you would see a capital gain/loss on shares changing value while FX changes, and also on cash that bought those shares, unless the cash is revalued from an FX viewpoint after selling.
If you receive GBP on disposal of an asset, there several valuations for tax purposes. The difference between the value of the asset at the time you became a tax resident and the value at the time of disposal, both converted to CDN$ on the transaction date (original valuation in day of landing and the prevailing rate on completion of sale). If you then hold the funds and there is a loss or gain (in CDN$) when you transfer them from GBP to CDN$ then there may be a currency gain/loss. Any earnings in between are also reportable.

If you hold foreign assets valued at over $100k these have to be reported on your tax return. Failure to do so can trigger a hefty fine.

All figures for tax purposes are at the prevailing BOC FX rate on the day of the transaction or deemed disposal.

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 20th 2010 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:24 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Tax-smart" UK investing from Canada

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If you receive GBP on disposal of an asset, there several valuations for tax purposes. The difference between the value of the asset at the time you became a tax resident and the value at the time of disposal, both converted to CDN$ on the transaction date (original valuation in day of landing and the prevailing rate on completion of sale). If you then hold the funds and there is a loss or gain (in CDN$) when you transfer them from GBP to CDN$ then there may be a currency gain/loss. Any earnings in between are also reportable.

If you hold foreign assets valued at over $100k these have to be reported on your tax return. Failure to do so can trigger a hefty fine.

All figures for tax purposes are at the prevailing BOC FX rate on the day of the transaction or deemed disposal.
Yup got all of those calculations covered, though did get an accountant and went back to re-do my 06 to 08 ones. I'd mainly missed on all the capital loss calcs from my cash getting devalued so was worth it.

So how does it work when you buy an asset, say shares in the UK£ after landing. Do you declare the change in your cash value from the day recieved to the day you then buy the asset. eg. my cash is valued at $1.8, if I buy shares in the UK now with my £ do I declare that as a capital loss from $1.8 to $1.5? Since I will then be in theory declaring a gain if the FX then increases like in my original example?