Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax return software for Canada

Tax return software for Canada

Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return software for Canada

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I assume that's supposed to be amusing? If not it's the most irresponsible post I've read in some time.
When you have figured it out let me know although judging by some of your replies in various threads I could be asking the same.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
When you have figured it out let me know although judging by some of your replies in various threads I could be asking the same.
Please point to an irresponsible post I've made.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Please point to an irresponsible post I've made.
It may take some time to look through the 15,435 posts you have made although other BE posters might be able to help me out.

Well dependent on your definition of irresponsible then this could be construed as irresponsible

b : said or done with no sense of responsibility <irresponsible accusations>

Post 2587 The Toon Army Thread in the Maple Leaf section
I don't want to get cocky, but I think Andre Villas-Boas will be next out.

Perhaps on Saturday afternoon?
If I was a Chelsea fan Id consider that irresponsible and seeing AVB is still at the club.
Or how about post 41 in the Cities of Saskatchewan thread.
Did you find and post about the 5 murders that weekend although I realise that your son gave you the info. Did those 5 murders happen and if they didnt isnt that irresponsible to be posting such information?

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jan 12th 2012 at 12:22 am. Reason: Updated info
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
I use Ufile. Keeps the stuff from year to year, web based, and I think it costs me about $25 a year for two returns. Piece of cake to use (I did the first one manually and although it's simple enough there is a ton of faffing about with extra forms, so I'm never doing that again).
+1
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:00 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I think we saw Turbotax in Walmart for about $38.00. Are there any pitfalls with it that anyone is aware of?
The price will probably drop about $10 in February. I use this software.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

but this is our first tax year in Canada.
Do it manually. Especially if it's only a partial year. It may take longer but if you're new to the country you should take the time to learn how the system works, if your wife is a CPA I can't believe it would be tough for you to figure out.

Read the general guide for the T1, it's not hard.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think we saw Turbotax in Walmart for about $38.00. Are there any pitfalls with it that anyone is aware of?
Well when I phoned up the CRA about something once, the dipshit on the other end of the line asked what piece of software I was using, and it took me several attempts to explain to him that "pen and paper" is not a brand of software. I was so peeved I filed a complaint with the CRA which had them in stitches.

But anyway, yes there are pitfalls in TurboTax, I won't bore you with them, because you wouldn't understand them anyway if you don't understand the tax system.

But as posted above - as an immigrant you should learn how the tax system works in Canada. Using a piece of software won't teach you that.

I also have a major aversion to paying for something I can do for free (although there are a couple of free T1 preps that are okay). Also I think using software makes the job of the CRA too easy, which makes them lazy and also means it stops the Govt. from simplifying the tax system. I've spoken to too many people at the CRA who are wizards at which button to press but lack basic knowledge of accounting.

You should also watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnb7R79QPWA

Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I also have a major aversion to paying for something I can do for free (although there are a couple of free T1 preps that are okay). Also I think using software makes the job of the CRA too easy, which makes them lazy and also means it stops the Govt. from simplifying the tax system. I've spoken to too many people at the CRA who are wizards at which button to press but lack basic knowledge of accounting.

You should also watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnb7R79QPWA

While I agree about paying for something I can do for free, paper returns actually cost more to process, so adds a burden to the tax payer rather than encouraging a simpler cheaper system. Besides, I want my money back ASAP, which efile makes happen, and thats only an option with software. (albeit no use to a first time filer)

The fast turnarounf is why I use the cheapest software I can find that does the job accurately.

I cant say I found out anything doing it with pen and paper that the software I didnt lead my to anyway via its interview format.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by iaink
paper returns actually cost more to process, so adds a burden to the tax payer
Yes they do, which is why I do it. If it costs too much, it encourages simplification of the tax code. I will never file one electronically ever.

Also I'm not convinced over the years it is actually true, because there was that big scandal about people claiming the medical costs exemption without being qualified for it - because if you file electronically you keep the receipts, so that makes fraud easier. Look at that massive scandal they've had in Florida with people filing fake returns using identities from ancestor.com

Besides, I want my money back ASAP, which efile makes happen, and thats only an option with software.
Nope, that's a myth that you get your money back faster. Speak from experience as I've mentioned on here before. It has to be said though that it might depend on where you file, I think efile is all in one place through Ottawa so if you file in Ontario it might be faster, definitely isn't if you file with the Winnipeg tax office though. In fact that might be the reason, because certain tax centres only do paper returns, they process them faster. And they keep getting faster as more people file electronically.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its never taken me more than 10 days to get a refund via efile, but never less than 3 months with a paper return.

They still audit efiled returns, you need to keep your receipts. In fact, if there is a downside to efile its that it allegedly increases your odds of an audit for the reason you stated.

I suspect you are pissing against the wind if you think paper returns will cause a change in Government taxation and CRA policies.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

I've used Ufile online for the last few years, after my regular accountant retired. Wished I used it before, it was fairly straightforward.

I have also used a free program to check how next years funds might be doing, and it seems pretty good as well.....the price is hard to beat

Anyway, here's the link, they already have the 2011 version available for download but it's a pre-certified one for use before the start of filing season-
http://www.studiotax.com/
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But as posted above - as an immigrant you should learn how the tax system works in Canada. Using a piece of software won't teach you that.
I'm not sure that's something people necessarily want to know. But there are questions as you go through the process that I would expect would arouse interest in people who would want to know why it was being asked and that would prompt them to check what it was about.

I also have a major aversion to paying for something I can do for free
That's why I've been using Turbotax (originally QuickTax). Free every time so far. Copes with foreign income as well as rental income.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's why I've been using Turbotax (originally QuickTax). Free every time so far. Copes with foreign income as well as rental income.
Is it free for normal people as well as those in Moncton?

Not that doing it yourself counts as free in my book. It takes time - I value my time a lot more than the cost of the tax software.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not that doing it yourself counts as free in my book. It takes time - I value my time a lot more than the cost of the tax software.
Have you tried billing CRA?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is it free for normal people as well as those in Moncton?

Many software packages are free if your total income is below a certain threshold ($20k or so?)

Generally if you pay someone else to do your taxes you are still going to burn up your time getting all the documentation, receipts, T4s, investment income slips etc etc etc together anyway, much like hiring an immigration consultant I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.