Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax return needed, when no income in 2009?!

Tax return needed, when no income in 2009?!

Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:48 pm
and the cat too

JulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud of
Default Tax return needed, when no income in 2009?!

Hi, I need a bit of tax help as I'm going round in circles

We landed in Sept 2009, we only started working this month. So we haven't earned any money in canada during 2009.

We haven't had any income from the uk since we left, we have some savings there though, we sold our house 2 years before we left the uk, so no capital gains there.

I'm thinking we don't need to do a tax return as there is no canadian income to declare for 2009. But then I keep thinking maybe we should, simply to get on the system.

Is it ok to do a nothing to declare tax return! Or am missing something all together?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Julie
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return needed, when no income in 2009?!

You dont have too, but its a good idea to as it allows access to future tax benefits, RRSP allowances etc etc.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You are not required to file a return if you have no tax to pay.

As iaink says, it best to file a return this year. You will probably have some interest to declare on your sayings but as long as this is less than $10,000 each you will not have any tax to pay. However, it will give you access to means tested benefits. If you file a return this year then next year you will be able to Netfile and get any refund in a matter of days instead of waiting several months.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:16 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Its definitely worth doing this year as the Ontario Sales Tax Transition Benefit cheques (to offset HST) will be based on your filing. If you don't file you won't get
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:10 pm
and the cat too

JulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies everyone, it has reassured me to file one for this year, for the reasons you have said. I just kept questioning myself and needed confirmation

Julie
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

When you file, you can claim numerous tax credits, and get few hundred dollars from government for those three months you've been here in 2009. This includes sales tax credit, property tax credit (includes rent if you rent), child fitness credit and maybe more. Get a guide and forms in a post office or library and do it - it's easy.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Just been to see the Tax people- I was in the same boat. Arrived Nov 08wasn't earning until Feb 2009 so didn't file.

However for me to claim child tax credit/benefit - the tax/benefits office need to be able to see when and what I earned since I arrived. So the lady stated I must file a zero return to prove it.

So I shall be doing mine, retrospectively, soon enough

Cheers
N
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:01 pm
and the cat too

Thanks again for the info. Will do it this weekend