Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax-pensions-lump sum-residency-stuck!!!

Tax-pensions-lump sum-residency-stuck!!!

Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

MandyStock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax-pensions-lump sum-residency-stuck!!!

Originally Posted by mardyarse
ok I used to be "fedupwithwaiting" and you'll see from my previous threads we went through this in 2007. My hubby was a Squadron Leader in the RAF for 20 years. We got our PR in the May 07 and we were activating it July 07.

We had our flights, hotel, car hire, rental, goodbye parties done and were supposed to fly out 6th July. OH spoke (as much as you can) to the dept that does the final pay out pay roll. They assured him 100% we would be getting that money paid in on the 5th in which case after numerous letters, phone calls, and at the time I worked for one of the top International Tax Lawyers in the Country. We were told time and time again this money is a tax free lump sum as long as you are resident of the UK when you receive it. Obviously even if you are on a trans atlantic flight you are not a resident of the UK.

Needless to say the money didn't come in. So we sat in a hotel room in London with 8 suitcases around us and every day for a week my hubby checked his online bank to see the payment. Eventually on July 13th 07 he woke me at 11am to say the money had been paid in. We woke the kids, got dressed, he re booked the flights and we raced like hell to get to Heathrow for the 2.30pm flight! We made it and know now it was the best thing to do. It is not worth losing 40% of your hard earned lump sum to the Canadian Tax Man. Whatever you do I urge you to take heed and learn from us.

I haven't read through all the other posts but just had to send you this quickly before I ran out the door this morning. Best of luck with everything
I shall take everything you say on board. We certainly don't want to get stung for tax. We will have to arrange flights for after payment is made. According to the literature supplied to us so far, final payment can be made "up to" 30 days after final day of work, but on most occasions it is paid within 7 days. Whether this is working days it does not say. We were planning on purchasing flights early, so that we knew that was something else crossed off our list - however, it is probably more financially viable to pay more for air tickets + not get taxed, rather than cheaper air tickets + tax on lump sum. Thank you for letting me know how it worked out for you - it certainly makes me more wary about the 7 day window, which we were working on.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good idea because he will pay tax when he withdraws the money if he's earning that could be at the higher rate of 40% and you can only make withdrawals once its been in the account untouched for 3 years. His lump sum is tax free completely as long as he is resident in the UK at the time of receiving it.
If it is paid into a QROPS the funds will have to remain there for 5 years from that date one first becomes a tax resident in Canada to avoid having to pay tax upon it in the UK. I am not sure where you are getting 3 years from.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby was a Squadron Leader in the RAF for 20 years.

I take it he wasn't a very good one if he didn't obtain a promotion in 20 years
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Might be worth purchasing flights through a scheduled airline they can be changed much easier than a charter airline. We booked with air Canada as they allowed for a free change of days if necessary. Check them out as you might be able to book early and still have option to change days if necessary.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Might be worth purchasing flights through a scheduled airline they can be changed much easier than a charter airline. We booked with air Canada as they allowed for a free change of days if necessary. Check them out as you might be able to book early and still have option to change days if necessary.
Thanks. Good advice. We will explore all avenues & see how it goes. Cheers Mandy
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Can I just clarify one more thought that I have had. If we ensure that the lump sum is received into our UK bank account before becoming tax residents in Canada, so that it remains tax free. Would there then be no issue on transferring the money to a Canadian account? I would imagine that it wouldn't matter whether this arrives a few days or months after us?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

That is correct. You would have to tell bank or exchange facility where you got money but that is just for UK money laundering purposes. CRA have no interest as long as it can trace it when it arrives in Canada
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyStock
Can I just clarify one more thought that I have had. If we ensure that the lump sum is received into our UK bank account before becoming tax residents in Canada, so that it remains tax free. Would there then be no issue on transferring the money to a Canadian account? I would imagine that it wouldn't matter whether this arrives a few days or months after us?
not a problem, in fact we booked our rate in advance and paid a deposit. So we knew the money was coming in July and actually exchanged in the April time.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If it is paid into a QROPS the funds will have to remain there for 5 years from that date one first becomes a tax resident in Canada to avoid having to pay tax upon it in the UK. I am not sure where you are getting 3 years from.
3 years we were told by our Canadian FA. However if you say it is 5 years then so be it. But my point here was not the length of time it is tied up but the fact that it will be taxed on withdrawal. Quite frankly I was just trying to help out another military family on my way rushing out the door!!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if you chose to have the lump sum paid in to a Locked in Retirement account, would it still be taxed?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Don't worry the CRA has a few critera for being a tax resident. Opening a bank account does not automatically count you as tax residents. When you file your first tax return just state the day you arrived to stay in Canada. That will then become the date you become tax resident. If you are still in UK and that is where your primary residence is then that is basically the country you are tax resident in. Pm me if you want more info or answers to any OTher questions. I think I have just been chatting to your oh on be ns website.
If the above were the case, do you think it would be ok to begin transferring savings across to our Canadian account getting ready for our move and before becoming "tax residents" or do you think having more than a couple of thousand in a Canadian account would be a problem?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 4:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyStock
If the above were the case, do you think it would be ok to begin transferring savings across to our Canadian account getting ready for our move and before becoming "tax residents" or do you think having more than a couple of thousand in a Canadian account would be a problem?
If you are just accumulating funds in the Canadian account it should not be a problem.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you are just accumulating funds in the Canadian account it should not be a problem.
JonBoyE, Thanks for that. We were thinking of maybe sending a bit across, as the exchange rate is a bit better than it has been for a while. Always a risk that it might improve even more - but you have to move it some stage don't you? Spreading the risk might be preferable to leaving it all to the last minute. Thanks again.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin
Ok, as the title says a plea for anybody wh would be knid enough to offer some real advice.

I have my PR, got it in March 2007, married to a local. Moved to Canada Sep 2008, slight twist as I actually got posted here with the UK military on a 3 years overseas tour. I dont have a SIN card, I am paid in GBP and pay tax in the UK and I am now technically here under the Visiting Forces act. That said the days I am doing here (2.5 years) so far are being credited towards my PR.

Now the stumbling block I intend to retire from the military at the end of this tour and after 26 years I will receive a pension and a lump sum. I have acquired some considerable leave in which I wish to take here in Canada readjusting and job searching etc.

I have been told that if I remain here during this period I will pay 43% tax on my lump sum as it will be seen as worldwide earnings!!!! If i have so much as a driving license or Canadian credit card then that will prove my residency status or my intent.

I think I have to rip everything up go home at the end of my 3 year military tour, leave the military, collect my pension and come back and start again. A lot of time and effort and also time I would like to use constructively sorting out my future here In Canada.

Another slight twist is that my wife (Canadian) now works here, is set up nicely with her company and our 3 year old has finally got in to a good daycare.

Do they also have to uproot with me just to sit in the UK for a few months to avoid canadian tax only to return and start again.

Advice etc would be very much appreciated as I am under strain and in a dilemma.

Many thanks.
If anyone finds an answer let me know????? I have been pondering this one for the past 5 years. I have 1 1/2 more years until my UK company pension pays out a nice lump and hate the tought of giving 43% to the Canadian tax man. Thinking about not taking the lump sum and taking additional pension. Not sure this is a good idea in the UK ; just received a pension update from my ex UK company and the fund in 2010 was roughly 30% underfunded to meet its future liabilites and its one of the most profitable and stable businesses in the UK. God knows what the deficit is now after the latest economic turmoil Dont want to put money in RRSP's either - could end up losing the lot!!!! Cash seems a safe option nowadays.:
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
If anyone finds an answer let me know????? I have been pondering this one for the past 5 years. I have 1 1/2 more years until my UK company pension pays out a nice lump and hate the tought of giving 43% to the Canadian tax man. Thinking about not taking the lump sum and taking additional pension. Not sure this is a good idea in the UK ; just received a pension update from my ex UK company and the fund in 2010 was roughly 30% underfunded to meet its future liabilites and its one of the most profitable and stable businesses in the UK. God knows what the deficit is now after the latest economic turmoil Dont want to put money in RRSP's either - could end up losing the lot!!!! Cash seems a safe option nowadays.
You could always stand back and look at the benefits you get from being a Canadian citizen/permanent resident and living in Canada ... the flipside of this is that you get to pay Canadian taxes. The UK "tax free lump sum" is very generous, considering that the contributions made were not taxable in the first place, however it appears that Canada does not replicate this in its tax code.

Take professional tax and investment advice before making any decision, but you options appear to include:

1. Take the lump sum, pay the tax.

2. Take the lump sum, defer all or part of it into a Canadian RRSP (to the extent you're eligible to contribute). You should be able to select conservatively invested funds so you don't "lose the lot" but you will probably pay tax in future when you draw down your RRSP. But perhaps not at such a high rate.

3. Abandon your residence in Canada and return to the UK before the lump sum is paid. This would have to be a genuine severing of residential ties, not just a short term expedient.

4. Take the pension instead of the lump sum. You'll pay tax on the income but perhaps not always at such a high rate if your other income reduces. Also, if you are in good health and expect to live a reasonable lifespan, you might get more dollars in the long term that way. Of course, you are exposed to the risk of your pension fund running out of money - your employer is supposed to back this up but if they go bankrupt or something, then that layer of protection no longer exists. You're also exposed to more risk on the sterling exchange rate, long term. Another risk to consider, and you'd need professional advice to know if it's real, is that company pensions in payment may be more secure than accrued pensions not yet in payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.