Reload this Page >

Tax implications ? Selling Uk property

Wikiposts

Tax implications ? Selling Uk property

Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:08 pm
axel f

foleynumber4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax implications ? Selling Uk property

Does anyone know what the tax implications are of selling a property in the Uk when you have become a PR and are resident for tax in Canada? I've heard rumours that I will get taxed on overseas property in Canada. Having received confirmation of my PR visa I now have my house up for sale in the UK. Hopefully i will be able to clear about £120,000 profit from the sale to help me get set-up in Canada.

Anyone know about this?
Thanks guys
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:18 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Tax implications ? Selling Uk property

Originally Posted by foleynumber4
Does anyone know what the tax implications are of selling a property in the Uk when you have become a PR and are resident for tax in Canada? I've heard rumours that I will get taxed on overseas property in Canada. Having received confirmation of my PR visa I now have my house up for sale in the UK. Hopefully i will be able to clear about £120,000 profit from the sale to help me get set-up in Canada.

Anyone know about this?
Thanks guys
Is it your primary residence in the UK?

Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:04 am
axel f

foleynumber4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Is it your primary residence in the UK?
Yes, it is my only residence..although I did have it 'unofficially' rented out over the last 18 months while i was popping back and forth to stay with my partner (now husband) in vancouver. .
Old Oct 7th 2004, 3:25 am
Glaswegian

Yes, it is my only residence..although I did have it 'unofficially' rented out over the last 18 months while i was popping back and forth to stay with my partner (now husband) in vancouver. .
So if you recieved rent you should have declared it on your tax return as income. The renting out complicates things a bit.

Generally if its solely your principle residence it would not be taxed in the UK. There are rules that result in a capital gain if you have rented out a property but I think there are exemptions for people who rent out property while working on overseas assignments (I dont quite remember this nowadays).

In Canada your principle residence is also exempt - I dont think it matters that it was in another country.

Are you planning on selling before you officially land - if so the Canadian tax rules become irrelevant assuming you are still be a UK resident and taxed there.

If you have spent 18months in Canada do you know where you are supposed to be taxed? This is your first consideration really - once you know this you can work out the tax implications of the house sale.

As ever, do not interpret this as financial advice - speak to a professional.

Mrs G

Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:16 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know about this?
Thanks guys
You should seek some professional advice rather than relying on information posted on a public message board. I am not an expert and the information below does not constitute advice on which you solely should base any decisions.

Don't know about the Canadian side of things.

For UK tax implications you can check the Inland Revenue website
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/

and specifically, the capital gains information
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cgt/

The letting your home guide can also be found there and contains information about income tax exemptions for the rent a room scheme and what happens when you go abroad
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir87.htm

In general, the Inland Revenue are extremely helpful if you phone them to ask for advice. The phone number for the helpline should be in a (UK) phone book.