Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax filing requested nearly 3 years after leaving Canada

Wikiposts

Tax filing requested nearly 3 years after leaving Canada

Old Jan 25th 2015, 1:39 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Tax filing requested nearly 3 years after leaving Canada

Hello Everyone,

I left Canada in 2012 after living and working there on a TWP. I filed a return for 2011-2012 before I left and received a refund cheque which I deposited in the UK.

That was the last communication that I had with the CRS until today. They have sent me a letter demanding a tax return for the year 2013. My work/residence status there has since expired and I have not been in the country since Easter 2012.

Can anybody offer any advice on this? It seems like a ridiculous request and I have no Canadian receipts etc to offer to them. I closed my Canadian credit card and bank accounts before I left and I have no plans to return there.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 2:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax filing requested nearly 3 years after leaving Canada

Did you complete a form NR-73 advising them you were no longer resident in Canada?

Either way, send them a fax explaining that you are no longer resident in Canada and have no Canada sourced income. As far as I understand, the CRA often send out these requests automatically to former Canadian residents.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:00 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you complete a form NR-73 advising them you were no longer resident in Canada?

Either way, send them a fax explaining that you are no longer resident in Canada and have no Canada sourced income. As far as I understand, the CRA often send out these requests automatically to former Canadian residents.
No, I've never done that. I literally just closed my bank accounts, credit card, mobile contract etc and then left. Since then both my girlfriend and I have received tax refund cheques from the CRA though that were sent to us in the UK so we just assumed that we didn't have to report anything further. Our last valid Canadian visas and SIN's expired nearly 2 years ago.

I'll contact them tomorrow though and send an NR-73 if they need it. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

On your 2012 tax return you should have put the date you ceased to be tax-resident. Then they would have known you had left Canada. As JAJ says, just send them a letter or fax explaining this and that you have no Canadian sourced income for 2013 and don't expect to have any in the future.

I would not send an NR-73 at this stage.

They may want some money back for 2012 as you probably claimed full year personal amounts.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:29 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by JonboyE
On your 2012 tax return you should have put the date you ceased to be tax-resident. Then they would have known you had left Canada. As JAJ says, just send them a letter or fax explaining this and that you have no Canadian sourced income for 2013 and don't expect to have any in the future.

I would not send an NR-73 at this stage.

They may want some money back for 2012 as you probably claimed full year personal amounts.
We filed forms for 2011 in 2012 via UFile just before we left. We didn't get much refunded anyway tbh, particularly considering how much we paid in and only one of us ever even had an OHIP card (which was never used).

IIRC we did have it logged on their system that we had left though which is why they sent the checks overseas and issued them from a British bank account. It was a bit of a hassle at the time because the cheque they sent for my partner was originally lost in the post and they had to reissue it.

I'll send them a fax from work tomorrow anyway and hopefully that should do the trick.