British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Tax. Federal + Provincial (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/tax-federal-provincial-309394/)

SANDRAPAUL Jun 19th 2005 10:23 am

Tax. Federal + Provincial

There was a discussion about taxation levels a couple of weeks back and there was a thread put forward by Mr iaink which some disagreed with.

I found this link...

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...axrates-e.html

and then I got out my calculator and according to my workings a person earning up to $71,990 will indeed pay back 26% of personal income. And this being a fairly decent salary level to my thinking would make at the moment taxation levels some 5% lower than the UK.....and I bet it will be 6% very soon!

The one thing which is not in the equation is PST/GST. If one spent $7,800 on food this would add another $1,000 or so.

One off items and cars etc all have VAT or some form of built-in taxation anyway so Mr Iaink it seem was right :rolleyes: ?

Souvenir Jun 19th 2005 12:31 pm

Re: Tax. Federal + Provincial

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
There was a discussion about taxation levels a couple of weeks back and there was a thread put forward by Mr iaink which some disagreed with.

I found this link...

and then I got out my calculator and according to my workings a person earning up to $71,990 will indeed pay back 26% of personal income. And this being a fairly decent salary level to my thinking would make at the moment taxation levels some 5% lower than the UK.....and I bet it will be 6% very soon!

The one thing which is not in the equation is PST/GST. If one spent $7,800 on food this would add another $1,000 or so.

One off items and cars etc all have VAT or some form of built-in taxation anyway so Mr Iaink it seem was right :rolleyes: ?

I wouldn't mind paying 26%. I will have an unusually good year this year. My accountant has warned me that I can kiss goodbye to about 50% of most of it.

ontres Jun 19th 2005 12:47 pm

I found this link...

For the time being there is no PST/GST on 'necessities' in the food department, only on non-necessities such as potato chips, sweets etc. And as far as ITax is concerned, the 26% is a baseline for the base amount listed. The closer your income creeps up to the next tax bracket, the less the compensatory factors apply, and hence the closer you get to the next [35%] bracket. It more or less works out to something like a straight line graph.

ontres Jun 19th 2005 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by ontres
For the time being there is no PST/GST on 'necessities' in the food department, only on non-necessities such as potato chips, sweets etc. And as far as ITax is concerned, the 26% is a baseline for the base amount listed. The closer your income creeps up to the next tax bracket, the less the compensatory factors apply, and hence the closer you get to the next [35%] bracket. It more or less works out to something like a straight line graph.

And don't forget that you also have to fork out to the Province, at the same time you pay the feds. That ain't hay.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 19th 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by ontres
And don't forget that you also have to fork out to the Province, at the same time you pay the feds. That ain't hay.

The chart and workings was for both Federal and Provincial combined. It was just a comparison to base levels to two countries - the UK and Canada, which is where it all started.

I read in numerous places what a taxed lot the Canadians are - and to a degree it seems not. Must say the breaks between levels seems a bit odd though.

If I ever get above the $70,000 .....ever....I will be amazed and delighted. If I get above $0 I will be happy.

Hey - I read about your good fortune Mr/Mrs Souvenir. It must be nice to be rich (ish) :)

sysclp Jun 19th 2005 5:32 pm

There is a day, usually in June, that is called Tax Day. This is the day that the average Canadian will have finally earned enough to pay their taxes for the year. That means between PST, GST, Federal and Provencial income tax, property tax, etc. almost half of what you earn will go to taxes. I haven't seen that mentioned yet on the news, but it will be coming up soon.

dingbat Jun 19th 2005 6:12 pm

I have never paid 26% and earn a lot less than $70k and have daycare deductions. My combined tax load is closer to 35% combined. There are lots of other hidden extras - like tax on books, and fees for just about everything official. It is not quite as good as it seems. I paid less tax in the UK on a muchhigher salary. I am in BC though.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 19th 2005 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by dingbat
I have never paid 26% and earn a lot less than $70k and have daycare deductions. My combined tax load is closer to 35% combined. There are lots of other hidden extras - like tax on books, and fees for just about everything official. It is not quite as good as it seems. I paid less tax in the UK on a muchhigher salary. I am in BC though.

I guess its about time I stopped doing this as it seems to not be of any interest.

UK. Basic rate is 31% once NI is taken into concern. But the average burden is 41% and is likely to reach 44% as an average.

But.... that was not the purpose of the thread.

We can all say we pay this or that and it costs much more or much less from a personal perspective but that proves little.

We are all different, have different lifestyles, spend our monies on different things and therefore will pay a different amount.

Sorry if I am being negative.

But in the main it was for those thinking about going to Canada and that Canada has much higher tax burden than it does.

We probably all pay too much perhaps due to the waste on both sides of the pond?

dingbat Jun 19th 2005 8:52 pm

I guess its about time I stopped doing this as it seems to not be of any interest.

UK. Basic rate is 31% once NI is taken into concern. But the average burden is 41% and is likely to reach 44% as an average.

We can all say we pay this or that and it costs much more or much less from a personal perspective but that proves little.

We are all different, have different lifestyles, spend our monies on different things and therefore will pay a different amount.

But in the main it was for those thinking about going to Canada and that Canada has much higher tax burden than it does.

We probably all pay too much perhaps due to the waste on both sides of the pond?

It is of interest. I always factor in the cost of kids though - and as a result family based taxation is perhaps very different depending on which province you live in, the ages of the kids etc. etc. You get child benefit in the UK regardless of income. In Canada, it's means tested. Daycare deductions through income tax decrease as the child gets older, but still represent a disproportionate cost against the lower wages that are paid here and so on. It's all relative, but it does make a huge difference when you have emigrated, are depleting savings and are working minimum wage jobs. It is good to compare....there will be people reading who will have similar circumstances to you, to me, to others. :cool:

Smokey Jun 21st 2005 12:03 am

Personally I always like to read such posts, even if it DOES depress the hell out of me. It's nice to see that the qualified well paid chaps get a UK comparason (ish) and can make their decisions accordingly. It's good too for the folks who haven't yet made it here to get some ideas.

For those of us that don't have a degree its a bit sad...I'd LOVE to be able to consider wages of $20,000 even as I'll make $11,000 in a year :scared: . Pay tax???? I'd love to! (should get a good refund next year :D )