Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

tax evasion - would my mother be refused entry?

tax evasion - would my mother be refused entry?

Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default tax evasion - would my mother be refused entry?

would a visitor coming from Germany with a criminal record for tax evasion have trouble visiting us in Canada?

My mother in her naivety claimed child support when my brother was doing his national service and earning very very little to do it. She did tell them after the time and she was taken to court but didnt realise, shes older and unaware of some things, anyway she now has a criminal record for this which makes her feel terrible, but that aside, would it mean that she would be turned away at the border, should she come to visit us for a couple of weeks?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax evasion - would my mother be refused entry?

When did this offence happen and what was the disposition of the case i.e was she found guilty and fined, sent to jail etc.
More details needed before advice can be given.
Is this the only offence?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 1:04 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

its the only offence, she is paying back the money and has had to pay court costs. No jail involved, the offence is in German but it pretty much sounds like tax fiddling from her explanation.

Shes very law abiding, so shes horrified
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Caveat this is advice only not a decision.
Without seeing what the German statute (law) states I cannot state what the offence would equate to in Canada but it is more likely to equate to the Income Tax Act. A quick glance of section 239(1) (a to g)of this act shows
a summary conviction only.
Section 239(2) states a person can be convicted on indictment

Based on this then it is likely that she is inadmissible as you state she is still paying the fine so the sentence has not been completed and therefore not eligible under the relief provisions.

A36(2)(b) of IRPA
having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in
Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament,
or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in
Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament

She could make an application for a Temporary Resident Permit ($200) to overcome the inadmissibility but there is no guarantee one would be issued either from the Canadian Consulate or by an officer at a POE.
Applications via a consulate can take in excess of a year.
If she did travel to Canada to make the application at a POE then she could be refused entry.

Perhaps PMM may have other info or has knowledge of such situations.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:22 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

How would you know if she, or anyone in fact, who was on holiday for 2 weeks, had or have a record. Is everyone on a big world wide data base that flags up drink drivers and the like.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by magnumpi
How would you know if she, or anyone in fact, who was on holiday for 2 weeks, had or have a record. Is everyone on a big world wide data base that flags up drink drivers and the like.
Well if I disclosed what we resources we have available to check on persons entering Canada then I would have to hunt you down etc etc.
Obviously on a forum such as this I am not about to disclose what we have access to so you can draw your own assumptions as to what we have access to.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well if I disclosed what we resources we have available to check on persons entering Canada then I would have to hunt you down etc etc.
Obviously on a forum such as this I am not about to disclose what we have access to so you can draw your own assumptions as to what we have access to.
Basically, they know what we had for breakfast.... a year last Thursday
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:40 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Sorry to put you on the spot there. It would have to be a big data base and in every international airport to boot.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL. Sorry to put you on the spot there. It would have to be a big data base and in every international airport to boot.
We also have phones and fax machines

Marginal note:Obligation — answer truthfully

16. (1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:46 pm

We also have phones and fax machines

Marginal note:Obligation — answer truthfully

16. (1) A person who makes an application must answer Itruthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
Argh. So. If the IO. Dosnt ask if mum has a criminal record for fraudulent activities in Germany, then, mums the word.?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Argh. So. If the IO. Dosnt ask if mum has a criminal record for fraudulent activities in Germany, then, mums the word.?
Unfortunately Im not allowed to plead the 5th amendment as I live in Canada
or make that statement we always here I reserve the right not to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate

Being totally serious for a moment BSOs do regularly ask foreign nationals questions based on persons ever having been arrested, charged or convicted of any offence anywhere in the world or have they ever been a defendant in a court of law.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Apr 14th 2012 at 2:58 pm. Reason: Further info
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:59 pm

Unfortunately Im not allowed to plead the 5th amendment as I live in Canada
or make that statement we always here I reserve the right not to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate
Lol that's funny pal.

It is the next question though. Ok. What would happen if mum was busted at customs and taken down by a gang of IO, at the Poe? Would she be flown home. Or locked up long time with rapists and murderers. Obviously no druggies as they not "proper criminals like bad mum."
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lol that's funny pal.

It is the next question though. Ok. What would happen if mum was busted at customs and taken down by a gang of IO, at the Poe? Would she be flown home. Or locked up long time with rapists and murderers. Obviously no druggies as they not "proper criminals like bad mum."
In this case if she was to be refused then the most likely scenario would be she could voluntarily withdraw her application to come into Canada and be flown home with no consequences.
In more serious cases referred to an admissibiity hearing and having a removal order issued by the Immigration & Refugee Board member which
would be a deportation order no ifs and or buts a deportation order.
As for being put in jail if we believe they pose a danger or would not appear for a hearing then yes jail is an option.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:16 pm
Happy

Blimey this does all sound serious. I dont think she will visit now as if asked question she would be honest and therefore face refusal which would be just awful.

She did not go to court as she was unaware of the court action at the time and now is paying it all off, given her financial situation I very much doubt she will manage to pay it quickly.... what tangled webs we weave.

Thanks for your help Former Lanc
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Blimey this does all sound serious. I dont think she will visit now as if asked question she would be honest and therefore face refusal which would be just awful.

She did not go to court as she was unaware of the court action at the time and now is paying it all off, given her financial situation I very much doubt she will manage to pay it quickly.... what tangled webs we weave.

Thanks for your help Former Lanc
Maybe mum could do a few weeks training at a poker school. Get that poker face look when asked if she is a big time international crook, or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.