Tax Advice

Old Feb 17th 2022, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

whuirons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Advice

Can anyone give me some advice, I just received my T4 from my employer, I am a permanent resident and been living in Canada since October 2021.

This will be my first tax year, I probably have not paid enough tax as I have only been here 5 Months - Am I going to owe tax or will it likely be fine?

I have been employed since end of October.

This is all very strange, as the UK does this all for you.

Thanks.
COYI

Old Feb 17th 2022, 3:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Advice

Have a look at one of the on-line tax sites...turbotax, wealthsimple, studiotax, ufile etc

Free or minimal charge. Quite easy to do. Register an account with them. Most of them just ask you what you're reporting - a couple are like being interviewed.
I can't remember if it's still the case that the first return cannot be filed online but it's easy enough to print the result if filing on line isn't available to you. It's also a good idea to register an account with Canada Revenue.

Unless you have something really complicated the free or basic options should be good enough, even if part way through they "recommend" upgrading.

They will all tell you at the end whether you owe anything or that you are owed. It's actually quite fun

Anything you're not happy about as you go through them, they can give advice. If payment is needed - there's even one you can pay what you think it was worth - it's only due when you reach the end and complete it.

If it makes you more comfortable, try more than one and only complete the one you like. It'll make it easier next time as they retain much of the information.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be living in a country for 183 days to be considered tax resident.
Tax resident rules in Canada

Last edited by glendem4; Feb 17th 2022 at 3:57 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 5:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
You need to be living in a country for 183 days to be considered tax resident.
Tax resident rules in Canada
Does that not apply to someone who was only in Canada temporarily?
Permanent Residents seem to be covered by this bit.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Does that not apply to someone who was only in Canada temporarily?
Permanent Residents seem to be covered by this bit.
Only if you owe tax in Canada or wish to claim benefits or tax back.
CRA are only interested if you owe them money.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by glendem4
Only if you owe tax in Canada or wish to claim benefits or tax back.
CRA are only interested if you owe them money.
Well that's standard regardless of time in Canada I believe.

GST/HST credits are not just for low income folk. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...st-credit.html

A number of us have had problems with CRA for a variety of reasons, following CRA advice and for that reason, even if there was no requirement to make a return for the first year, I would personally make a first return to get "in the system" when there was little or nothing at stake. So much easier thereafter.

Particularly in times of Covid where a tax return maybe necessary to qualify for something to cover loss of earnings.