Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A taste of the true vancouver

A taste of the true vancouver

Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:15 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A taste of the true vancouver

Originally Posted by nursemakeyouwell
Hi everyone! Well we have our reccie trip booked for October and we have 6 days and 7 nights to get a feel for the place and decide where we are going to live when we come next year!!

I'd love to hear your opinions, for those living in Vancouver, what things should we see and do while we are there that will give us a real flavour of living and working in Vanoucver. What will show us the real City and what it is like to be there. We will probably look at Tricities, maybe Burnaby and North Van. The latter looks nicest on photos, and is nearest to where I have a job offer (Lions gate Hospital), but is also the most expensive.

I'd value your suggestions for days out both touristy and not, places to eat, shop (for food as well as other stuff), estate agents, schools anything really

Thanks a bunch. I have another question to ask but this post is already too long so I'll do it on a seperate one!

One thing... dont get put off by the weather. The chances are you'll be rained on in October. But when you're sitting on Ambleside beach in the blazing sun next July it more than makes up for the winter monsoon.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:18 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Robski
Hi guys,

I need to make a trip down to the city soon (to do the dreaded Ikea thing), maybe i could schedule it for then and meet you all?
the more the merrier. We need to book the table in a certqin name before me and my lot leave for our trip so we know what name to ask for. It will have to be done by one of you local guys thoug. we might not have access to the internet once we leave on Satu 13th so it will need doing before then!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:20 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Londonuck
One thing... dont get put off by the weather. The chances are you'll be rained on in October. But when you're sitting on Ambleside beach in the blazing sun next July it more than makes up for the winter monsoon.
We in the UK this year, have laughed in the face of your Vancouver rainfall having suffered a summer of flood, after flood!! Our winter looks set to be a repeat of this too!!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll book a table in the name of Basil and Sybil Faulty for 12 for 6.30pm.

That is:
4 x NMYW (arm depending)
2 x Live to Ski
1 x JonBoyE
1 x RobSki
4 x Mayfly

Also, I'm going to change location to the Whitespot on W Georgia and Cardero (just over the Lions Gate Bridge on the edge of Stanley Park) as they have a nice big parking lot, whereas round Drake it can be a bit of a hassle and may require on-street parking, plus Mr Live2Ski thinks this is a nicer one as it isn't a hotel affiliated one.

Let me know by 12 noon that Friday if numbers change and I'll alter the reservation accordingly.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

You don't see many people with Crystal Palace shirts in Vancouver!
Having grown up near Croydon, I would be horrified to see even one Crystal Palace shirt in Vancouver!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:52 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

Originally Posted by live to ski
Having grown up near Croydon, I would be horrified to see even one Crystal Palace shirt in Vancouver!
We were brought up in the Croydon area. My OH was from New Addington, and I lived in Shirely. My brother is the biggest die hard Eagles fan, and when we were kids I used to regularly get dragged up to Selhurst Park to watch them play!

My OH is a big West Ham fan, and for the last 10 years or more has become an american football fan, and is a die hard San Diego Chargers fan. In fact, right after we finish our research trip in Vancouver we will be catching a plane down to SD to visit some friend, and watch game at qualcom stadium before flying home!!

Small world eh? OH has volunteered to commit West Ham sacrilege on your behalf and, as he is working right near croyden centre on Friday, do you want anything from the palace shop?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:40 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I'll book a table in the name of Basil and Sybil Faulty for 12 for 6.30pm.
?any chance you want to mention it on Brits2Vancouver in case others can join you?.

I'd love to meet up - but in Blighty same week...(well, arrival of Canadian passports permitting that is)

Also, you might want to check out this handydandy site www.findfamilyfun.com

Money Saving Tip for Grouse Mountain: it is a tad pricey, but if one of you gets an annual membership (suggested youngest kidlet) then s/he can get up to four people up to Grouse for 1/2 price per visit

Have a FAB trip

Clare
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

TooseyP is on a distinguished road

Yep bring your raincoats its been absolutely pouring for the last 24 hours or so
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:00 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I'd watch out for out for a couple wearing Crystal Palace strip (me) and Celtic (him) in Vancouver on occasion then....
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:33 am
trust me - I'm a nurse

Originally Posted by dingbat
I'd watch out for out for a couple wearing Crystal Palace strip (me) and Celtic (him) in Vancouver on occasion then....
Blimey is there something about being brought up in croydone and/or supporting the eagles that makes people want to move to Vancouver!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Mayfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Clare for that idea. If it is ok I will put a notice with a link on the Brits2vancouver group.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:25 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We in the UK this year, have laughed in the face of your Vancouver rainfall having suffered a summer of flood, after flood!! Our winter looks set to be a repeat of this too!!
Believe me our summer is nothing compared to a Van winter. You'll develop webbing eventually
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:17 am
trust me - I'm a nurse

Believe me our summer is nothing compared to a Van winter. You'll develop webbing eventually
I might start a new thread comparing daily rainfall between our two great countries to see who is the wettest!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:20 pm
Éireann go Brách

I might start a new thread comparing daily rainfall between our two great countries to see who is the wettest!
They filmed the man from atlantis in North Van.

I believe the first winter we had in Vancouver (98) it rained for something like 80 days on the trot.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:20 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

They filmed the man from atlantis in North Van.

I believe the first winter we had in Vancouver (98) it rained for something like 80 days on the trot.
ok,ok I get your point, it's wet in Vancouver, we'll bring our flippers!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.