Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A taste of the true vancouver

A taste of the true vancouver

Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:16 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice
Default Re: A taste of the true vancouver

Originally Posted by live to ski
There hasn't been a Vancouver BE meet-up since I've been on here (or that I've been invited to!).

But Granville Island brewary, sometime between Oct 16-21 sounds like a good plan.

nursemakeyouwell, I'm making you responsible of reviving this thread nearer the time to remind us all!!
oh my! DON'T KNOW IF i CAN HANDLE THIS KIND OF RESPOnSIBILITY!!!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nursemakeyouwell
oh my! DON'T KNOW IF i CAN HANDLE THIS KIND OF RESPOnSIBILITY!!!
Hey, 21 October would be a fab day - it's my Birthday - of course I won't be in Vancouver.....
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:41 am
Just Joined

GreenFields4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We have had our meds done and are hoping and praying for PPR soon.

We would like to live in Pemberton BC and are planning a recce trip early next year.

I would also be very interested to hear what it's like there from anyone living there or knowing more about it.

Thanks

Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Mayfly is an unknown quantity at this point

We hope to move to the North Shore on the 11th of October so if you would like to meet up with the kids to play in the snow (we have a 5 & 7 year old)or just have a coffee send me a PM.

We visited last year for 2 weeks and arranged for the kids to go to Dinosaur Daycare for a while so we could meet with banks (and open accounts), a realtor (Sue Gerryts), go skiing. They loved it. Any of the travel books will show you the touristy places to visit. http://www.lynnvalleycentre.ca/Recreation.htm shows a few local clubs that might be of interest.

We also arranged to visit schools and sports clubs that might be close to where we would be living.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:07 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mayfly
We hope to move to the North Shore on the 11th of October so if you would like to meet up with the kids to play in the snow (we have a 5 & 7 year old)or just have a coffee send me a PM.

We visited last year for 2 weeks and arranged for the kids to go to Dinosaur Daycare for a while so we could meet with banks (and open accounts), a realtor (Sue Gerryts), go skiing. They loved it. Any of the travel books will show you the touristy places to visit. http://www.lynnvalleycentre.ca/Recreation.htm shows a few local clubs that might be of interest.

We also arranged to visit schools and sports clubs that might be close to where we would be living.

Hope this helps.
Thanks this is great info! Yes would love to meet up with as many people as poss, will PM you! I have also made a few contacts through the Brits2vancouver forum, it's a yahoo group, can't remember the exact web address, but I am sure someone will post it again! So hopefully meeting poeple who are liveing there and have done what we are about to do will be a great eye opener!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:42 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

Well, presuming we get there in spite of recent hospital traumas (see "broken arm blues" thread), we are due to be in Vancouver in about 21/2 weeks. I am doing as I was told and resurrecting this thread so that if anyone in Vancouver fancies meeting up the we will make a date. Live to Ski and JonboyE, you suggested Granville island brewery. How about Friday 19th 7.30ish? Is it kid friendly though, as we will have our little monsters with us? Quite well behaved monsters I might add, but monsters neverthless!!

I'll keep you posted as to whether the broken arms prevents us from coming or forces change of dates etc. By all means don't let that stop you all from meeting up anyway!!

Jo
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I am doing as I was told and resurrecting this thread
Mr Live to Ski would be shocked if I ever did what I was told!

Anyway, I'm not too sure if GIB is very kid friendly - anyone else know? But Friday 19th 7.30pm-ish (arm depending) is penciled in the diary. Will try and think of a better location.

JonboyE, Mayfly et al - any ideas?

Maybe PM where you are staying and we can try and find somewhere convenient for you. WhiteSpot is always a good default, very BC and kid friendly. http://www.whitespot.com/

PS - Mr L2S is pretty good at entertaining little monsters (something about similar mental ages) although he is rather partial to Lego if they have any they can bring along!

Last edited by live to ski; Sep 28th 2007 at 11:04 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:29 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The Granville Island Brewery is not child friendly unfortunately. Children are not allowed in pubs anywhere in BC.

I guess that means a restaurant. White Spot is a good idea - it is a BC style burger place but has lots of other dishes so there will be something for everyone. They also sell GIB beer at $13.99 a pitcher so us old lushes are catered for. If not White Spot there are one or two or several thousand restaurants to chose from.

If nursemakesyouwell is staying in a hotel they may have a lounge where we can meet. We'll surely find somewhere because at 7.30 we'll definitely be hungry.

I hope the medical issues work out OK. However, I do have to warn you that detailed discussion is probably not a great idea when I am around. I am every nurse's favorite patient - likely to end up horizontal at the mere mention of blood and gore.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GreenFields4Ever
Hi,

We have had our meds done and are hoping and praying for PPR soon.

We would like to live in Pemberton BC and are planning a recce trip early next year.

I would also be very interested to hear what it's like there from anyone living there or knowing more about it.

Thanks

Hello *waving*

I'm in Pemby, moved here in July, and into my own home 5 weeks later.

All good so far, come on the winter...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

TooseyP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The Granville Island Brewery is not child friendly unfortunately. Children are not allowed in pubs anywhere in BC.
Opps we went in there for a swift one with our toddler, was that naughty?
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:55 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TooseyP
Opps we went in there for a swift one with our toddler, was that naughty?
Usually - they may have a limited license to allow children, or they simply turned a blind eye. This province is horrible for restrictions on everything. Proper family friendly pubs are one thing I do miss - sitting in a beer garden watching the kids play while the adults have a pint!

Liquor Control and Licensing Act

Minors on licensed premises
35 A person who holds a licence under this Act or who sells liquor under the Liquor Distribution Act, or the person's employee, must not authorize or permit a minor to enter on or to be on premises where liquor is sold or kept for sale except

(a) if the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian on premises where liquor is sold exclusively for consumption off the premises,

(b) with lawful excuse, or

(c) in prescribed circumstances.

Last edited by dingbat; Sep 29th 2007 at 2:58 am. Reason: Knew I'd seen the draconian legislation somewhere
Old Sep 29th 2007, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

TooseyP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dingbat
Usually - they may have a limited license to allow children, or they simply turned a blind eye. This province is horrible for restrictions on everything. Proper family friendly pubs are one thing I do miss - sitting in a beer garden watching the kids play while the adults have a pint!

Liquor Control and Licensing Act

Minors on licensed premises
35 A person who holds a licence under this Act or who sells liquor under the Liquor Distribution Act, or the person's employee, must not authorize or permit a minor to enter on or to be on premises where liquor is sold or kept for sale except

(a) if the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian on premises where liquor is sold exclusively for consumption off the premises,

(b) with lawful excuse, or

(c) in prescribed circumstances.

Woops - no one told us, not even Lou Diamond Philips (he of La Bamba, Young Guns) who was sitting at the bar at the time.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:43 am
trust me - I'm a nurse

Originally Posted by live to ski
Mr Live to Ski would be shocked if I ever did what I was told!

Anyway, I'm not too sure if GIB is very kid friendly - anyone else know? But Friday 19th 7.30pm-ish (arm depending) is penciled in the diary. Will try and think of a better location.

JonboyE, Mayfly et al - any ideas?

Maybe PM where you are staying and we can try and find somewhere convenient for you. WhiteSpot is always a good default, very BC and kid friendly. http://www.whitespot.com/

PS - Mr L2S is pretty good at entertaining little monsters (something about similar mental ages) although he is rather partial to Lego if they have any they can bring along!
Well we will have to be guided by you guys. somewhere where kids are legal is obviously a must - don't want to get arrested before our visas are processed! Or saturday lunch would work, but I figured people would be busy on the weekend! You suggest date/time venues and we'll have a consensus decision! I have a feeling mayfly will have just arrived the week before so will either be too busy trying to sort things out or desperate to get out and enjoy a beverage or two!!

Keep the suggestions coming in, and we'll see what gets the vote.
We'll be staying at the Meridian suites, which is near granville I think, but we'll have a car, so anywhere is fine with us. don't think they have a restaurant there.

Look forward to hearing more suggestions!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Mayfly is an unknown quantity at this point

We'd be on for Friday the 19th. You can all help us celebrate landing and we'll drink to anything you want to celebrate ! Our temporary accomodation is in Horseshoe Bay which is a bit far out but we'll have a car.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:50 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

Originally Posted by Mayfly
We'd be on for Friday the 19th. You can all help us celebrate landing and we'll drink to anything you want to celebrate ! Our temporary accomodation is in Horseshoe Bay which is a bit far out but we'll have a car.
wishing you all the best for your journey - hope it all goes smoothly for you and hope to see you all at the venue we come up with, possibly whitespot on the friday - everyone keeps saying how good it is!

where's horseshoe bay?
Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.