Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking a Whisky Collection

Wikiposts

Taking a Whisky Collection

Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

uknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the rough
Default Taking a Whisky Collection

Hi, we are off to BC and i cant really see anything about Whisky Collections or alcohol in general on the wiki or the canadian site.

My O/H has a collection (30ish bottles)of very nice whiskys that he has been collecting for about 25 years normally we buy 2 he drinks one and the other goes in the collection for when he retires. We brought them over to NZ ok and declared them, customs were fine we imported them from the UK.

So question is best way to get them in to Canada and is it going to cost a bomb?

Many thanks in advance
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a Whisky Collection

Originally Posted by uknzbc
Hi, we are off to BC and i cant really see anything about Whisky Collections or alcohol in general on the wiki or the canadian site.

My O/H has a collection (30ish bottles)of very nice whiskys that he has been collecting for about 25 years normally we buy 2 he drinks one and the other goes in the collection for when he retires. We brought them over to NZ ok and declared them, customs were fine we imported them from the UK.

So question is best way to get them in to Canada and is it going to cost a bomb?

Many thanks in advance
You have 3 x choices
1. Drink it all before you come to Canada
2. Without my magic machine at work look on paying about $20 a bottle minimum in duties and taxes though you will get 1.14 litres each at no charge.
3. Dont pay or try to smuggle it in and when found watch CBSA pour it down the sink.
Read these links
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html
See appendix B of this link for BC rates
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-3-6-eng.pdf
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking a Whisky Collection

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You have 3 x choices
1. Drink it all before you come to Canada
2. Without my magic machine at work look on paying about $20 a bottle minimum in duties and taxes though you will get 1.14 litres each at no charge.
3. Dont pay or try to smuggle it in and when found watch CBSA pour it down the sink.
Read these links
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html
See appendix B of this link for BC rates
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-3-6-eng.pdf
I am willing to help out the OP if they decide on suggestion #1.

Seriously though, it is a pity to think that a 30 bottle collection of malts belonging to someone relocating to the country, can't be exempt from duty.
Not a dig at Canadian customs BTW. Rules are rules.