Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking pets to Canada

Taking pets to Canada

Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Taking pets to Canada

We've had few quotes now for our Cat. These agencies are taking the mickey. Quoted from £550 to over £1,000.

I contacted Air Canada who will fly him over for £270 if i can drop him at Heathrow a few hours before the flight. If you can do it yourself, you'll save a lot.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RayS
I think you're missing the point here!
Your dog/cat has the rabies vaccine to STOP IT CATCHING RABIES.
Unlike in the UK, Rabies is present in Canada in wolves, foxes, skunks, bats, raccoons, livestock & PETS (try Googling Rabies in Canada!)
So unless you have the blood test done you don't know whether your pet is protected or not. If I was paying X hundreds ot thousands of pounds to ship my pets over to Canada I would be quite happy to pay the £50 for the blood test too! Dont you agree?
Ray
Of course i agree! i am only stating the choices the VET said were available, i am infact well aware of rabies and i myself chose to have the FULL passport for my dog......keep your hair on RayS i was merely quoting the vet!

Last edited by Julie_p; Sep 19th 2008 at 1:47 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:01 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie_p
Of course i agree! i am only stating the choices the VET said were available, i am infact well aware of rabies and i myself chose to have the FULL passport for my dog......keep your hair on RayS i was merely quoting the vet!
But - you dont have to have them rabies jabbed at all in UK to get INTo Canada - you can get it all done in Canada once arrived.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

we were told by airpets we needed rabies jabs and flu jabs to be done before they left for NS .
sometimes i recon some of this is just money for old rope if you know what i mean
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:10 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding to the whole rabies shot\blood test debate here. You WILL need to have the rabies vacination cert if you decide to take the animal to the States and back. US doesnt seem concerned one way or t'other, Canada border guards do however!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:10 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Just adding to the whole rabies shot\blood test debate here. You WILL need to have the rabies vacination cert if you decide to take the animal to the States and back. US doesnt seem concerned one way or t'other, Canada border guards do however!!
hmm - but we dont need the rabies jab to get them into Canada to start with - suppose that cos Canada accepts that UK is a rabies free area . .. . hmm -will double double check afor we leave!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:29 pm
half a century

hmm so:
EITHER

Domestic or pet dogs may enter Canada if accompanied by an export certificate issued in either English or French, and signed by an official government veterinarian(1) of the exporting country. The certificate must clearly identify the animals and state that:
1.1 rabies has not existed in the exporting country for the six (6) month period immediately preceding the shipment of the animals; and,
1.2 the animals have been in the exporting country for the six (6) month period immediately preceding their shipment, or since birth.

hmm - who do I get that from then . . . . . ??
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
But - you dont have to have them rabies jabbed at all in UK to get INTo Canada - you can get it all done in Canada once arrived.
I actually never said that you did! i was simply replying to a question regarding the rabies injection, its obviously the pet owners choice, i only got my dog a pet passport for travelling purposes ie; the states or if by some faint chance we did decide to back to the uk. i stated the procedure should you choose to have it done and the options thats all.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:53 pm
half a century

I actually never said that you did! i was simply replying to a question regarding the rabies injection, its obviously the pet owners choice, i only got my dog a pet passport for travelling purposes ie; the states or if by some faint chance we did decide to back to the uk. i stated the procedure should you choose to have it done and the options thats all.
Hi - Julie - yup I reaslied that - jst a bit confused now about the "Government" Vet!! hmm - bet thats gonna be expensive!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:55 pm
half a century

sorry - being blonde . . . have you just had the 1st jab? will they have had the second and blood test before you leave? My vet said thejabs had to be within 14 days of each other.. will waiti til I get a def moving date then go and start the rabies thing - knowing my luck they will meet a rabid something on our first trip to the beach!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

sorry - being blonde . . . have you just had the 1st jab? will they have had the second and blood test before you leave? My vet said thejabs had to be within 14 days of each other.. will waiti til I get a def moving date then go and start the rabies thing - knowing my luck they will meet a rabid something on our first trip to the beach!
As far as i know its the one rabies jab then a bloodtest 30days after followed by a 2 week wait for results, i know you have to have boosters, the jab my dog sam had lasts for 2 years but will have to check on what vet says in canada as they can have different time limits etc.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:50 pm
half a century

As far as i know its the one rabies jab then a bloodtest 30days after followed by a 2 week wait for results, i know you have to have boosters, the jab my dog sam had lasts for 2 years but will have to check on what vet says in canada as they can have different time limits etc.
doh - its so bloody confusing - my vets siad 2 jabs - one two to a monthe after the other then 6 months wait and then the blood test!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:17 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Does Bazzz frequent the beach then?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:01 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

doh - its so bloody confusing - my vets siad 2 jabs - one two to a monthe after the other then 6 months wait and then the blood test!
Hi Bells. Ive had my 3 cats and 2 dogs done all have pet passports.

The idea being they have the rabies injection - ( 1 or 2 ill get to that in a mo) then a blood test a few weeks later - 6 months after the blood test they are allowed to return to the UK. So basically if you have your pet blood tested 2 weeks before yoou leave for canada you still have to wait 6 months before they can come home ( if they need to)
the passport is for return to the Uk only - you can have the pet vaccinated in canada on arrival but this isnt looked on favourably and will probably cost more.
Government approved vet - contact DEFRA - they will give you a list - you may find that your own vet is gov approved. (probably to do with registration and qualification etc )

Our vet recommended 2 jabs - 2 weeks apart, when i questioned why he said it was because sometimes they didnt take and if the blood test came back neg it would cost again for another jab and another blood test - the blood test is the expensive bit) - when i asked him what percentage didnt take he said it was only a small percent - i cant remember exactly but it was low enough for us to risk just one jab - all five pets took with one jab no probs - saved myself well over £100.

Got passports purely for peace of mind - 1) so i know rabies vaccine worked and 2) incase anything goes wrong and we need to come home quick I dont wanna leave my pets behind

Last edited by Tanah; Sep 19th 2008 at 7:04 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:38 pm
half a century

aha = thanks fpr that -so vet making a bit on the side then!!

bit like worming tabs - scobby's cost £16 a pop from my vet, but only £5 off the internet!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.