Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking Guitar over

Taking Guitar over

Old May 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Guitar over - to YOU HATERS

I already stated I posted the picture, because, I was not sure wether make/model made a differance. I know that my one is...

1> a semi-hollow body

2> an epiphone/gibson is bigger than your standard electric or acoustic, airlines (british airways) say a musical instrument of guitar size is ok IN the cabin, again I didnt know if people have taken all sizes on board a plane

3> and the buis cabin was just I get more luggage allowance, I prefer to fly buisness, I saved my money up and dont wanna fly cattle class, and hoping people may know wether I would have a better chance doing it that way.

3> I did also post a picture of the case, well one of the net,so that means what, exaclty?

What GIVES for pity's sake, just asked a simple question,
what's the best way to get MY GUITAR over to the other side of the lake.

I was hoping that people who know guitars and have travelled with them (as I havent) can put me in the right direction, or people whos OH's have done the same..

Luckily I've had some good feedback just as in life there always has to be one or two who want to rain on your parade

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Ooooooh, get 'er!
I know nothing about electric guitars, being a lowly trumpeter, but it strikes me that if the make or model was unimportant there was no need for you to have posted a picture; if it was important you can't then take exception when others (and there are some serious musicians on here, so be careful with your "wannabe haters" comments) poke a bit of gentle fun at you.
Old May 14th 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaye944
I didnt say anything ian, about comparison, I just stated some facts about epiphone, as has another poster already said that where too many snobs.
Oh no, you werent a little sensitive about it at all Either that or your recent humour bypass operation appears to have been a total success...

Lighten up eh
Old May 14th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

awww OK,,,,

and only because you asked so nicely

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh no, you werent a little sensitive about it at all Either that or your recent humour bypass operation appears to have been a total success...

Lighten up eh
Old May 14th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Taking Guitar over

ok,
I can get a hiscock's from my guitar shop for £95 quid, and toying with in order of preferance

1> Taking it in the cabin, in the padded case I already have (free)

2> Taking it in the hold. (free)
in the hiscock (except paid £95) for a case I'll only ever use once)

3> putting it in the frieght.
(but as I'm going LCL) I'll get charged for everythign on a cubic capacity.

If I know for sure, I can take it in the cabin then I'd prefer than option, but also nice not to trapse all over the place with a bag and a guitar.
Old May 14th 2010, 4:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

ok,
I can get a hiscock's from my guitar shop for £95 quid, and toying with in order of preferance

If I know for sure, I can take it in the cabin then I'd prefer than option, but also nice not to trapse all over the place with a bag and a guitar.
There is a good chance you can resell the Hiscock over here for most of what you paid for it. They have a reputation as the best. Even if I was going for the cabin option there is still something to be said for having a robust case.

Mind you, Im not a fan of gig bags...many an instrument technicians kids have been put through college thanks to the protection (not) offered by gig bags.... for the sake of a few lbs its just not worth it IMO.

Id say get the good case, if it can go in the cabin it will be in a good case, if it has to go in the hold either checked or at boarding then you can be pretty sure it will survive, and once you get here you can resell the case or else keep it on the off chance you want to go jam somewhere outside your basement...

Last edited by iaink; May 14th 2010 at 5:57 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Both my strat and my Aria acoustic, along with my other 3 cheaper guitars went in their respective gig bags, were then Boxed with bubble wrap and styro beads, then shipped in our 20 ft ISO along with all of our other house hold possesions. And they all went un insured. They all arrived safe and sound and continue to sound great (in my opinion) to this day.

But if your worried bring it with you as cabin baggage. Our most important items (DVD of all of the family photos) travelled with us as they are irreplaceable.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:34 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

ok,

You can drive a truck over a Hiscox case. I definitely wouldn't bother taking a Hiscox in the cabin. It's not particularly heavy - I use mine all the time because I don't trust gig bags.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Brundlefly is an unknown quantity at this point

ok,

Hi jaye944,

I have travelled with a guitar a couple of times. I think the only way you will get the guitar in the passenger area is if it is in the gig bag (not hard case). If you are flying business class, there are a few large cupboards where they can put items such as these. For instance upstairs on a 747, just next to the stairs there is a large area which people use for suit hangers and the like.

Anyway, here is what I would recommend:
1. Check the airline luggage restrictions on their site. They should make mention of travelling with instruments.
2. Call the airline customer service or frequent flyer area if you have some status and pre-warn them you will be traveling with an instrument. They should give you some advice i.e. flight is full - you have no chance etc.
3. Check in early or online - get the check in staff whilst they are fresh, not frazzled.
4. Board as soon as you can and ask to have instrument stowed - perhaps advise them where a good place would be - Make sure they aren't going to stack other bags etc on it i.e. tell them it needs to be standing upright because it has a fragile neck.

I have also put guitars in the hold - used a hard case and checked it in as fragile.

Good luck - I think you will be fine getting it on board by the way
Old May 15th 2010, 8:03 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hiscock <snigger>

Old May 15th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

As Piff Poff said, my husband did have his guitars stolen from our container. One was a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top which is replaceable. One was a flying V that he had had since he was 16 and not worth a great deal in money terms but he was sooo upset.
They were all in hard travel cases and "obviously" guitars so easy for robbers to see.
That being said I think we were extremely unlucky because I don't think containers are broken into that often.
My husband has said though that given hindsight he would have put his beloved instruments with him on the plane.
Old May 15th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

I brought my guitar over to the UK on hand luggage - that was on Air Canada, but back in 2003, so it was a different world then.

Anyways, a quick search on BA's website for "musical instruments" brings up the following information:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults

Can I take a musical instrument on board the aircraft?

Yes, you can take a musical instrument as hand baggage, checked baggage or on a seat purchased for this purpose.

Taking a musical instrument as hand baggage
You can carry a musical instrument as hand baggage if the item is guitar-sized or smaller,and providing it can be security screened.

You can carry your musical instrument as an additional free piece of hand baggage.

Taking a musical instrument as checked baggage
If your musical instrument is larger than a guitar it must be carried as checked baggage.

Buying a seat for your musical instrument
It may be possible to purchase an extra seat for your musical instrument, depending on availability.
Also, their hand luggage page says:

Musical instruments may be carried in addition to your stated hand baggage allowance, providing the dimensions do not exceed those of a guitar and providing it can be security screened.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:23 am
Just Joined

black_adder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jayee944,
I recently brought my Yamaha electro-acoustic in hold luggage on a Canadian affair Thomas cook flight. A day before my flight i bought a used protection racket guitar case from gumtree for about £30, and now i am glad i did.
These cases are a combo of soft padded + hardcase yet very sturdy and much lighter than an actual hardcase. I think this case weighed not more than 2-3 kg if i remember it right. It survived the international flight + a local West Jet flight and both times in the hold luggage.

This is their website....brand new ones i shops could cost about £60-70. http://www.protectionracket.co.uk/

Good luck
Old May 18th 2010, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

guy's,
thankxs all for your great comments, it is much appreciated.

I am kinda leaning on getting a small crate made up, rectangular in shape, filled with that styro foam, and put it in its existing padded gig bag.
The gig bag I have is actually for a "Memphis" if anyone knows that marque?.
I can probably put a few other soft bits and pieces in the same crate.

Somone mentioned a site called frets.com it shows how to pack a guitar case.

So will try for that.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

guy's,
thankxs all for your great comments, it is much appreciated.

I am kinda leaning on getting a small crate made up, rectangular in shape, filled with that styro foam, and put it in its existing padded gig bag.
The gig bag I have is actually for a "Memphis" if anyone knows that marque?.
I can probably put a few other soft bits and pieces in the same crate.

Somone mentioned a site called frets.com it shows how to pack a guitar case.

So will try for that.
One wonders what Seasick Steve would do? Duct tape it to the wing, probably.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

got a hiscox, £95, a crate would have cost the same...

no brainer, aiming to take it with me on the plane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.