Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking Guitar over

Taking Guitar over

Old May 14th 2010, 1:16 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking Guitar over

Originally Posted by jaye944
any ideas,

have a EPIPHONE DOT, (hollow body electric)

options are

1> fly it over with me, padded bag, in the cabin (according to BA website) probably going buisness

2> have it freighted across. IF SO
i: Should I get a hard case, sepcficaly for this
ii: The softy padded one but, shed loads of bubble wrap

Am hoping to go LCL with my belongings.
I brought all instruments in hard shell cases in the container. When our stuff arrived, everything had been at about minus 20 for weeks, including the guitars. Not a nice thing to do to them, but they survived.

If flying, I would get a Hiscox hardshell case and check it in.

Alternatively, buy one like this. I've picked up loads of musical gear on Kijiji at bargain prices.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

My OH brought his PRS ltd Edition guitar over with him with no problems (except all the earache I got in the weeks before we flew). I would certainly recommend a hard case to prevent any damage (his is already in a hard case, but he also went to the local guitar shop and got some large guitar packaging boxes which he packed out with crumpled newspaper and put the hard case inside).
The guitar usually goes in the hold, (unless you buy a seat for it) along with buggies, skis, oversized things, etc. We flew with Air Canada and were informed that the guitar would be one of the last things on the plane and first things off which put my OH's mind at ease as he thought it would get slung on with the suitcases. They just didn't tell us that the guitar would come out on the oversized baggage carousel at the other end, and we stood like pillocks waiting ages for it to appear on the suitcase carousel
Old May 14th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Freighted both mine in hard cases, no problems whatsoever. Was an emotional reunion several months later though
Old May 14th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

The Epiphone Company is a musical instrument manufacturer founded in 1873 by Anastasios Stathopoulos. Epiphone was bought by Chicago Music Company, who also owned Gibson Guitar Corporation, in 1957.

Epiphone is now a subsidiary of Gibson, somewhat like Squier is a subsidiary of Fender (the chief difference being that the Squier line of guitars was created in-house by Fender; in other words, there is no such thing as a "pre-Fender" Squier guitar). Because of this subsidiary relationship, many of the instruments look the same as the more expensive Gibson versions. However Epiphone still maintains its own line of archtop guitars.

IF YOU AINT GOT ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY, GO WORRY ANOTHER THREAD

Originally Posted by Souvy
If you can afford to fly business class, you can afford a real Gibson.

Specifically.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I agree, thanks

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Oh, guitar snobs are just rife these days.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Taking Guitar over - to YOU HATERS

This thread ISNT about how good or bad guitars are.

It isnt about buying a new one over there, nor about what class I'm flying nor how much or little money I have. To be honest its none of anyone's buisness.

I ONLY mentioned the class as I am hoping somone can tell me if flying buis. I am more likly to get it stwoed in the cabin.

As for how expensive or how good a guitar, for you snobs.

It aint what you play but how you play and that YOU CAN play.
Some of the best black r&b players back in the day where playing on beaten up pieces of crap.

I can make a 10buck proken down piece of isht, sound better than I bet any of the wannabe's haters who've commented rubbish on my thread, even if you had a top of the range Gibson.

You dont know me, you dont know anything about why I have asked the question, so step the hell of.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi Nat's,

Thanks but no as its a semi-hollow body, the Neck can't be taken off.

There is a reason why I want to take it with me,

yes its ONLY a lowly EPIPHONE and obviosuly not worthy to some.
but this is one piece I dont want to loose or have damaged, even with insurance. Hence trying for the cabin.

Cheers for the + comments

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
If you have the option of shipping it over with other furniture/boxes - are you able to remove the neck?

My husband has a Telecaster which he did this with - he then packed each piece up tightly with bubble wrap, put the strings away etc and packed the screws etc etc.

It packed up quite small in the end........sorry if useless (or your guitar does not separate) but this is how we did it - without it costing us an arm and a leg - it went via the normal shipping company in a big cardboard box with other items.

Arrived as we had left it

Nats
Old May 14th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

thankxs there's a guitar shop near me that can get me a case

thankxs for the + input though

Originally Posted by siouxie
You can buy a hard steel flight case for Ā£79 from here:

http://213.246.100.108/p/Stagg-Alumi...r-Flight-Case/

or a similar (economy) one for Ā£65 from: http://www.theflightcasecompany.com/...r-Economy.html

Old May 14th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

problem is the guitar is a bit bigger than a banjo,
well the hollow body is
but cheers

Originally Posted by colin29
If you can bring it on board then do so. I brought a banjo from Ireland to Vancouver through Heathrow last September and there was no problem bringing it on board, I wouldn't trust putting an instrument in the hold.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

do you know something, thats abs. true !
didnt think about that, there's no absoultes.

does it depend on the guys who you ship it over with, or the scrotes on the dockyard?

Originally Posted by Merry
Actually that's right - I remember that one now too. We must have been lucky but tbh luck plays a big part no matter which way it travels!
Old May 14th 2010, 12:39 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

This thread ISNT about how good or bad guitars are.
Sorry, but this thread is going to be about whatever the people who reply to it want to post about within reason. Dont bite the hand that feeds you, there have been many good suggestions here.

My 2c is that arguing that a modern Epiphone is any kind of equivalent to a modern Gibson in terms of quality of craftmanship (or cost) is just delusional. In Sax terms its like saying a far east built Selmer USA is any kind of equivalent of a Selmer Paris saxophone, it just aint true. However, I do agree entirely that its not the axe, its the player that counts. You were the one that felt the need to post the picture

Last edited by iaink; May 14th 2010 at 1:44 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:11 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know what sort of guitar my husband has got, all I know is that he loves it with a passion.

I put it in its hard case, and shipped it in the container with all the other stuff. It got here fine, he is still playing it and recording music with it.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:42 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I can make a 10buck proken down piece of isht, sound better than I bet any of the wannabe's haters who've commented rubbish on my thread, even if you had a top of the range Gibson.

You dont know me, you dont know anything about why I have asked the question, so step the hell of.
Ooooooh, get 'er!

I know nothing about electric guitars, being a lowly trumpeter, but it strikes me that if the make or model was unimportant there was no need for you to have posted a picture; if it was important you can't then take exception when others (and there are some serious musicians on here, so be careful with your "wannabe haters" comments) poke a bit of gentle fun at you.
Old May 14th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

understood, but I posted the picture, just in case people where not aware of what I was talking about. i.e.its a hollow body. I also posted a picture of the case, some people know nothing about guitars except playing them, some are guitar guru's and some are just plain snobs.

I didnt say anything ian, about comparison, I just stated some facts about epiphone, as has another poster already said that where too many snobs.

and yes I totally agree, there have been some very good suggestions which I thanked the posters for there positive contribution, but the comment was aimed at the individual's who didnt hence it said "to YOU HATERS" and I dont believe I bit the hand... but I certainly shook and thanked the hands that did,

and its entirly my own reason why I want to take "my epiphone" over rather than buy a "new/old gibson" when I get there.

cheers m8

Originally Posted by iaink
Sorry, but this thread is going to be about whatever the people who reply to it want to post about within reason. Dont bite the hand that feeds you, there have been many good suggestions here.

My 2c is that arguing that a modern Epiphone is any kind of equivalent to a modern Gibson in terms of quality of craftmanship (or cost) is just delusional. In Sax terms its like saying a far east built Selmer USA is any kind of equivalent of a Selmer Paris saxophone, it just aint true. However, I do agree entirely that its not the axe, its the player that counts. You were the one that felt the need to post the picture
Old May 14th 2010, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

thankxs appreciated

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I dont know what sort of guitar my husband has got, all I know is that he loves it with a passion.

I put it in its hard case, and shipped it in the container with all the other stuff. It got here fine, he is still playing it and recording music with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.