Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs with us to UK for 3 week holiday

Taking dogs with us to UK for 3 week holiday

Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to behold
Default Taking dogs with us to UK for 3 week holiday

Hi,

Has anyone taken their dogs back to the UK when they go on holiday ?

We have 2 cavalier King Charles Spaniels and it seems it would be cheaper to take the dogs with us when we visit the family in the UK ( 3 weeks) than pay $40 per night for each dog in a kennel, ($1,680 for both).

Has anyone done this with success?

Cheers
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking dogs with us to UK for 3 week holiday

I know that DEFRA have changed the rules recently but I don't think they have made them so lax as to make it worth while. I still think the animals would have to fly with an approved airline and must go cargo. I don't think you have to send a blood titre off to the States 6 months before hand anymore but you will need a rabies certificate and ISO certified microchip.

You also had to have paperwork signed by the CFIA which i think you still do.

Coming back the dogs will be able to fly as excess baggage and the documentation you used to get them in to the country will be enough to get them back into Canada.

Speak to your vet. They should be able to help you out. Be prepared to have to leave them behind as the cost, and amount of paperwork will most likely be prohibitive. Also think of the animals. It's quite stressful for them. We flew our dog to the UK and then back 18 months later and I wouldn't put her or us through it again.

It might be worth finding someone you trust to house/dog sit.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adrian12
Hi,

Has anyone taken their dogs back to the UK when they go on holiday ?

We have 2 cavalier King Charles Spaniels and it seems it would be cheaper to take the dogs with us when we visit the family in the UK ( 3 weeks) than pay $40 per night for each dog in a kennel, ($1,680 for both).

Has anyone done this with success?

Cheers

$40 per night EACH - that's some rip off kennels. How about a house sitter, my daughter gets paid $20 per night and she looks after and walks 2 dogs, used to be 3
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
$40 per night EACH - that's some rip off kennels.
That does sound a lot. I think we pay $28 and $26 for each dog per night - and that's enough.

Are there other kennels you could look at and compare costs?

Otherwise, like Piff Poff said, there are house/dog sitters out there - we have a lady at work (who works full-time at our place) but dog sits continually all over the place. She is rarely in her own home, and loves it!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:15 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We pay $30 a night for "in home" boarding ie/ no kennels, no cages, etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:45 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't care how much you pay, how in the hell can you possibly think of doing this to dogs for the fun/economic experience? Surely you can sort something better out than dragging these poor bloody animals through the hoop because YOU want to go back to the UK? Do you like steerage? Can you imagine your animals do. Bite the bullet and do the best thing, find someone who can can care for them in their own home.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:58 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Would be cheaper to give your dogs away.....you are either having a laugh with this thread or don't understand what your dogs would go through so you are not out of pocket.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Like everyone else has already stated, taking them back for such a short period is nuts. I would ask around for Kennel recommendations, or seek out a dog sitter. Most Kennels I have used offer discounts for long stays and also if the dogs all stay in1 kennel. I think we only pay $26 for A large German shepherd and a couple of bucks extra for daily exercise. $40 each is way too much.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MillieF
I really don't care how much you pay, how in the hell can you possibly think of doing this to dogs for the fun/economic experience? Surely you can sort something better out than dragging these poor bloody animals through the hoop because YOU want to go back to the UK? Do you like steerage? Can you imagine your animals do. Bite the bullet and do the best thing, find someone who can can care for them in their own home.
+1
Think of the dogs well being, all that unneeded stress on them for YOUR holiday!!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to behold

We brought the dogs from Australia originally and they were just fine after 20 hours on a plane. They shared a large kennel.

I was just toying with the idea of taking them, mainly because I think it would be enjoyable having them with us. but... on further consideration i agree that it is perhaps too much unnecessary stress for them, the flight is still 7 odd hours.

Will get a house sitter I think - will miss them though!

All those that got a little excited, don't worry, my animals are well looked after and well loved - I was just knocking an idea around.