British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Taking dog with us (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/taking-dog-us-835102/)

Young163 May 28th 2014 10:39 pm

Taking dog with us

Anyone taken their dog with them from Heathrow to St Johns with Air Canada. I was going to use airpets or similar but just wondered if easier to do on our own.

DandNHill May 29th 2014 10:47 am

Re: Taking dog with us

I didn't think Air Canada allowed you to do it yourself. I might be confusing the airlines, it's 3 years since we did it. But if it is allowed, it was very easy. Just very weird to see your dog, in her crate, strapped to a pallet and on the front of a forklift heading to the warehouse... :unsure:

Jimbo2012 May 29th 2014 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Young163 (Post 11279725)
Anyone taken their dog with them from Heathrow to St Johns with Air Canada. I was going to use airpets or similar but just wondered if easier to do on our own.

When we moved over here we used Airpets UK and they took care of everything i.e. vaccinations, documentation etc..
They even picked our dog up from our home 2 days before we flew (Heathrow - Toronto).
It wasn't cheap but it was one less big stress at a very stressful time and the dog arrived in Canada healthy and happy (and didn't even soil his crate!)

Tootlepootle May 29th 2014 6:04 pm

We did it ourselves with Air Canada from Heathrow to Vancouver. It was relatively straight forward. Air Canada website does have a section on travelling with animals. They don't take them as excess baggage from mid June to mid September.

MrFloyd May 29th 2014 10:18 pm

Sorry, I keep seeing this thinking it says "Talking dog with us" and wondering why there aren't more replies...

Young163 May 29th 2014 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 11280886)
We did it ourselves with Air Canada from Heathrow to Vancouver. It was relatively straight forward. Air Canada website does have a section on travelling with animals. They don't take them as excess baggage from mid June to mid September.

That's good to know, will have to give AC call tomorrow as we were hoping to take him in July

Young163 May 29th 2014 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by MrFloyd (Post 11281233)
Sorry, I keep seeing this thinking it says "Talking dog with us" and wondering why there aren't more replies...

If only Charlie could talk. :D Then he could let me know what he thinks of the idea of being in crate for over 5 hours!

Former Lancastrian May 29th 2014 10:40 pm

Will the dog be applying for an LMO thereby becoming a Temporary Foreign Woofer?

Oink May 29th 2014 11:05 pm

I think most people give theirs away and get another one here. Much kinder to the animal than flying it out and making it endure the bitter winters and humid summers, when its not used to them.

MillieF May 29th 2014 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11281285)
I think most people give theirs away and get another one here. Much kinder to the animal than flying it out and making it endure the bitter winters and humid summers, when its not used to them.

The same could of course be said about kids....and they are generally less likely to bite the neighbours! The dogs that is!

Me...I'd bring the dog (I brought a dog and three cats) ...they don't know humidity or cold, just love and affection...they adapt far better than the rest of us. Best of luck:)

Mikeypm May 30th 2014 3:19 am

We sorted out everything ourselves so vet trip, crates and booking our cat and dog on the flight. We used airtransat and both pets have settled well and are none the worse for having been on a nine hour flight over here.

Siouxie May 30th 2014 5:00 am

Air Transat will allow you to take the dog as excess baggage for around £200.

:)

Young163 May 30th 2014 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11281285)

Just couldn't leave him behind. You have however given me an excellent idea!
Joining my husband in St Johns after 3 years, might suggest that instead of me finally joining him out there permanently that he trades me in for newer model, I'm not too keen on the bitter winters or humid summers either.:)

Howefamily May 30th 2014 4:27 pm

We brought our cat and did it ourselves, followed the directions on the Air Canada website and the vet was helpful so all our paperwork was in order.
We got our crate from ebay, it was a varicrate and we measured the cat, who wasn't that helpful in all honesty, at the time.
We booked him on the flight with us, it was GBP100 at the time (3 years ago). He came to the airport and a nice AC employee took him from us at the check in desk.
It was all straight forward and he was fine at the other end.

Good luck with your dog.

DandNHill May 30th 2014 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11281479)
Air Transat will allow you to take the dog as excess baggage for around £200.

:)

I think it depends on the weight of the dog. We brought over our Golden Retriever and she was too heavy for excess baggage. That was the same for both AC and Air Transat