Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

taking dog on airtransat flight advice needed

taking dog on airtransat flight advice needed

Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

citicat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the rough
Default taking dog on airtransat flight advice needed

As above we fly wed 3rd oct gatwick to edmonton with are flying with airtransat,

Do we just take dog in airport with us in the airline approved pet cage and hand in with suit cases or do we need to go to cargo area

Or do we have to hand dog into oversize baggage area, do we put water in and food or do they do that when dogs settled on board the plane or something,,,,,,,,,

And at edmonton does dog come off plane and go with everyones golf clubs and pushchairs in to luggage collection area or do we have to go to vets building in edmonton

Any help appreciated

cath
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: taking dog on airtransat flight advice needed

Originally Posted by citicat
As above we fly wed 3rd oct gatwick to edmonton with are flying with airtransat,

Do we just take dog in airport with us in the airline approved pet cage and hand in with suit cases or do we need to go to cargo area

Or do we have to hand dog into oversize baggage area, do we put water in and food or do they do that when dogs settled on board the plane or something,,,,,,,,,

And at edmonton does dog come off plane and go with everyones golf clubs and pushchairs in to luggage collection area or do we have to go to vets building in edmonton

Any help appreciated

cath

best ask your airline what their procedure is at gatwick and your final destination.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Any help appreciated

cath
Hi
Flew dog with Air Transat a year ago and I just took him with me to normal luggage check in. A representative met me, let me walk the dog outside, then put him back in his crate and took him away to board on the plane.
Not sure about at Edmonton airport but at Halifax, my dog was waiting by the luggage carousel for me.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

citicat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TruBrit
best ask your airline what their procedure is at gatwick and your final destination.
Easy saying that, We have tryed that but try talking to someone at airport no one knows anything and pass you pillar to post,

so i am trying to find info on here from peeps who flew with airtransat with pets,,,,

mick
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:41 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew 2 dogs out in May (Gatwick to Vancouver). Took dogs to normal check in and Air Transat did the rest - they were very helpful. At Vancouver dogs were waiting in luggage area.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I have the cutest immages in my mind of dogs in cages going round the luggage carosel!

(sorry, no help to OP, but just thought I would share that with you)
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

landy_andy has a spectacular aura aboutlandy_andy has a spectacular aura aboutlandy_andy has a spectacular aura about

Any help appreciated

cath
Hi Citicat,

We took our dog Airtransat in July Gatwick to Calgary. I was under the impresion that Airtransat no longer take pets as "luggage" as we had to book our dog as cargo, or maybe that was just because of her size. Also Airtransat will only take 4 dogs per flight so I would make sure tou have a slot reserved.
Did you book your dog a while ago and how big is the dog ?

The air transat site is http://www.airtransat.ca/en/6_1.asp.

We dropped her off at cargo depot at Gatwick and collected her from cargo at Calgary, so she was in her box for 15 hours total. We were only allowed water in her box as Canada customs will not allow you to bring any dog food.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by landy_andy
Hi Citicat,

We took our dog Airtransat in July Gatwick to Calgary. I was under the impresion that Airtransat no longer take pets as "luggage" as we had to book our dog as cargo, or maybe that was just because of her size. Also Airtransat will only take 4 dogs per flight so I would make sure tou have a slot reserved.
Did you book your dog a while ago and how big is the dog ?

The air transat site is http://www.airtransat.ca/en/6_1.asp.

We dropped her off at cargo depot at Gatwick and collected her from cargo at Calgary, so she was in her box for 15 hours total. We were only allowed water in her box as Canada customs will not allow you to bring any dog food.

Booked dog 6 weeks ago and they said dog is excess baggage cost us $250 cad, £115,,,,,

I found that each air transat rep you speak to gives advice like we no longer take pets then another says ow yes we take pets but it ends on 1st november 07,,,,,

Only my dog on flight when i booked 6 weeks ago they said 5 pets per flight to me,,,,

Air transat said to me any size pet its all the same price $250cad
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Booked dog 6 weeks ago and they said dog is excess baggage cost us $250 cad, £115,,,,,

I found that each air transat rep you speak to gives advice like we no longer take pets then another says ow yes we take pets but it ends on 1st november 07,,,,,

Only my dog on flight when i booked 6 weeks ago they said 5 pets per flight to me,,,,

Air transat said to me any size pet its all the same price $250cad
I called and was told they don't take pets, so I will keep trying until I get someone who says yes, so thanks for that.

When first I read the title for this thread I thought it said "talking dog on airtransat flight advice needed" and had a wonderful image in my mind.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
I called and was told they don't take pets, so I will keep trying until I get someone who says yes, so thanks for that.

When first I read the title for this thread I thought it said "talking dog on airtransat flight advice needed" and had a wonderful image in my mind.

No dog doesnt talk,,,,,,lol

Just keep ringing them up each rep at airtransat tells you something different, what i was told is they are using thomas cook and my travel more for there flights in november onwards and they dont take pets on there planes,,

cath
Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:42 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

No dog doesnt talk,,,,,,lol

Just keep ringing them up each rep at airtransat tells you something different, what i was told is they are using thomas cook and my travel more for there flights in november onwards and they dont take pets on there planes,,

cath
Air Transit stop flying in the winter mths. Check-in will sort you out with your dog, my experience when i came out in April was really good with air transit but i flew Man/Van with 3 cats.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:23 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

If your dog is indeed travelling as X's baggage, (and there are conflicting reports whether they have discontinued this service!!!!) and Air Transat have confirmed that with you, then our experience landing at Calgary was that the dogs were checked in at the usual check-in desk, and then we could keep them with us until nearer boarding time or leave them (in their crate) with a baggage handler if that's what you opt to do.

Then you don't see them until you go to collect your bags, and in Calgary they were put on one side (not going around on the carousel!!) Then you take them to the animal import desk and they check their vaccinations and condition and you pay a small fee ($35 in 2005?don't know if it's gone up since).

However, if they are travelling cargo, the process seems much more involved and stressful!