Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

taking car from uk to canada

taking car from uk to canada

Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

zerocool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking car from uk to canada

has anyone here done this read up on a few things regarding this. i have a nissan 300zx iv spent about 20k on it and would really want to take it asi know i wouldnt get much for it if i sold it here. how hard is it to do are the very strict on what cars they allow? mine is on there aloowed list but i understand they are not very keen on right hand drives. would be hrder to leave it behind than saying good bye to everyone lol
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking car from uk to canada

why bother?

who would want a motor car with the steering wheel on the wrong side?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

car is my pride and joy spent alot of time and money on it just want to wiegh up the pros and cons of taking it. however im thinking of just starting againon one when i get over
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:03 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by montreal mike
why bother?

who would want a motor car with the steering wheel on the wrong side?
Well, I quite enjoy my 41 year old MG with "the steering wheel on the wrong side" and my neighbours quite like driving it too. But that's by the by...

In a nutshell, if your car is more than 15 years old you should be able to import it without too much trouble.

If it's "younger, then there are a myriad of tests to go through.... If you car is obviously "younger" I apologise, not being car-ish and all...

;-)
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerocool
has anyone here done this read up on a few things regarding this. i have a nissan 300zx iv spent about 20k on it and would really want to take it asi know i wouldnt get much for it if i sold it here. how hard is it to do are the very strict on what cars they allow? mine is on there aloowed list but i understand they are not very keen on right hand drives. would be hrder to leave it behind than saying good bye to everyone lol
Yes, they are very strict. "They" being the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Unless that car is over 15 years old it cannot be imported to Canada, end of story. Read the rules here. Even if it is old enough to be imported it hardly seems worth the trouble. As Mike noted, with RHD you will be on the "wrong" side for toll booths, parking ramps, drive-through services, speeding tickets, etc.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

the car is 14 years old the now so by the time i moved it would be over 15got plentytime to decide just trying to do as much research on everthing i can
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped my '93 Golf Cabrio over last year. It was just on 15 years old, but a USA model originally from Atlanta. No problems from the RIV, passed the inspection and have happily been driving it here for the last year.

The shipping on the other hand was a nightmare! All in all cost me about £2500 with shipping costs and a whole load of hidden costs like rip off cleaning and transportation charges by customs inspectors.

I love my car, but had I known what extras and hassles I was in for, I could have saved myself a few more grey hairs and saved the money and added it to what I could sell it for in the UK and buy something here.

I suggest you start trying to sell your car for the best price you can and take a look at Autotrader Canada to start dreaming about what you'll buy here.

Rob.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Germany and there is no problem here with the wrong side steering wheel!
Any way where can I find out details about getting my friends car over. His wife is in Lethbridge, he is on operational tour in Iraq. He has a German made BMW, which he wants to take out there next year can anyone let me know how to go about it?
Thank you
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
I live in Germany and there is no problem here with the wrong side steering wheel!
Any way where can I find out details about getting my friends car over. His wife is in Lethbridge, he is on operational tour in Iraq. He has a German made BMW, which he wants to take out there next year can anyone let me know how to go about it?
Thank you
It's not likely that he can bring it. Check the list of acceptable vehicles here:

http://www.riv.ca/
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dinger24
Thank you
Vehicle must be 15 years old or older.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impxus_e.htm
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Ha ha ha
Gents bang on the button with the info! I will forward those links to him, it will break his heart.
Personally I am chuffed it is a black M sport BMW with tan colored leather it is horrible, but he likes it
Again thank you very much for the speedy and useful information.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerocool
Ooh, I feel for you. I had to leave my 2 beloved 300ZX twin turbos behind when we came here. Even more pissed because we're going back. I should have stored them instead of selling them

Once it is 15 years old you won't have any problems. I don't think that the RHD will be much of an issue, apart from higher insurance. I've seen a a few Japanese imports being driven around Calgary
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Even more pissed because we're going back.
How come? Has something gone wrong?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:22 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Even if it is old enough to be imported it hardly seems worth the trouble. As Mike noted, with RHD you will be on the "wrong" side for toll booths, parking ramps, drive-through services, speeding tickets, etc.
What trouble exactly?

Mine went in the container with all my other stuff. All the other things you mention are minor apart from speeding tickets where the policeman gets to stand in a safer position on the shoulder.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:36 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Even more pissed because we're going back.
Originally Posted by dbd33
How come? Has something gone wrong?
I missed this too, but here it is .... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550560

So sorry to hear this Posidrive!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.