Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Take the plunge? or sit on the beach?

Take the plunge? or sit on the beach?

Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:50 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take the plunge? or sit on the beach?

Originally Posted by jossie
The answer is simple.........Take the Plunge (to BC instead) & sit on the Beach.
So many people!!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Robopp777 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be especially careful to check how you feel about the winter weather in Ottawa. It is frequently a lot colder than Toronto for example. I mean REALLY cold if you are not used to it. Otherwise Ottawa is a lovely city, we live in Victoria, BC, but had considered Ottawa where I have a brother, but were put off by the weather. I recommend having a visit there in January which is what we did with BC as we had heard it could be gray and depressing here in Winter.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
So many people!!
I agree - I think we need to start telling people that BC isn't so beautiful and that living here sucks to prevent the numbers increasing further.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

zou_bisou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robopp777
I would be especially careful to check how you feel about the winter weather in Ottawa. It is frequently a lot colder than Toronto for example. I mean REALLY cold if you are not used to it. Otherwise Ottawa is a lovely city, we live in Victoria, BC, but had considered Ottawa where I have a brother, but were put off by the weather. I recommend having a visit there in January which is what we did with BC as we had heard it could be gray and depressing here in Winter.
no worries, I grew up in Scandanavia. I am well acquainted with cold, snow and depressing winters.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:47 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zou_bisou
no worries, I grew up in Scandanavia. I am well acquainted with cold, snow and depressing winters.
Actually, the winter isn't too depressing. Its pretty sunny and with the snow on the ground, can be very bright and beautiful.

Very cold though. Might even be colder than southern Scandinavia...
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Actually, the winter isn't too depressing. Its pretty sunny and with the snow on the ground, can be very bright and beautiful.

Very cold though. Might even be colder than southern Scandinavia...
South Okanagan Winter is pretty mild - between 0 and -5 deg C with minimal snow in the valley but still lots of snow up in the mountains to go and play. Our first year out here we couldn't believe how amazing the climate was. It is baking hot in the summer and is dry so hardly any mosquitos and you don't end up all sweaty with the humidity. I think it is one of the few places in the World where you can Ski up in the mountains on the morning and travel half an hour down into the valley and play golf and Water ski all on the same day.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:02 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zou_bisou
Good morning! I was hoping that I could get some perspective from other Canadians or expats who have been there and done that.

My husband works for a multi-national IT company and they want to transfer him to their Ottawa office (and it will likely be) permanently. It seems like a great opportunity for him and we both like Canada although we've never been to Ottawa. We also have two great kids who are 2 and 6 and I think they would cope well with it.

I worry about my opportunity and ability to settle. From what I've seen and read, I think it's very hard for expat wives to find work when they've followed their spouse. I am an 'early careers researcher' with a phd. So I teach and conduct research at a Russell Group uni. There are no universities in my field in Ottawa, which is fine. I can go into industry or government and have worked in both before. But, I won't be a citizen and worry about my ability to be competitive for jobs, particularly in government. I also have a hearing impairment which isn't obvious, but it sometimes makes things a little harder for me even with my hearing aids. I speak and write some French, but my listening skills in the language aren't very good because of my impairment.

Does anyone have any advice or perspective on this? I really don't want to say yes to it and move over there and find I cannot find work or that I have no chance. There are no guarantees in life obviously, but we do like our life here and wonder whether it's worth shaking it up. If he takes the job and I don't settle, I don't want to sour his relationship with the company by insisting on moving back. Is there anything I haven't thought of that we might face in doing this? Thanks in advance.
There are plenty of employment centers free all over Ontario and Canada where you can get assistance for free into the job market and find a job. Here they want you to work so they are great at helping you get it too.
I am waiting for my RN registration to process for Ontario having worked 4 yrs in BC and 6 years in UK before that, and still they drag it out time wise it's ridiculous when they have all they need but are just waiting for my file to come back to them that was dormant 4 years ago due to my working in BC instead of Ontario.
So I am now at an employment center getting help with a paid job placement (on job training) to update my office work skills that I did before nursing and during Nursing when the office worker would go home, but a job that is a Medical office in a clinical setting part-time so I can still go to work while I am waiting for my Nurse registration to process.

Volunteer work will also help you gain more skills and get a foot in the door with a job. I have volunteered with a local hospice (that is the area I nursed in the past 3 years and wish to remain in so it makes sense for me).

So just find work that fits in with you and volunteer work here looks good with any potential new employer, they like that more than if you haven't or don't do any and find you more desirably employable.
Hope that helps.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:06 pm
Banned

Also, a good friend of mine also from the U.K moved here with her husband and she failed her Nurse exam 3 times so far so is doing a research job instead for now before sitting her exam again. So yes you can and should find work and in research easily enough, she is in a chemistry research job and gets paid $32 an hour.

Edited to get my quote removed.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

zou_bisou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice wonderwoman. I would have replied sooner, but have been away. I didn't realise that they had employment centers of any type there. And volunteering is a good suggestion as it helps you network within a community with the added benefit that you are helpful to an organisation. Good suggestions!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:27 pm
Banned

No worries
glad to be of help. I never noticed them the whole time I was in BC, maybe as I never needed to go to one then.
But since I have been in Ontario I have come across loads of them locally, and they are also advertised in job papers that are free at most grocery stores on the way out.

As they will tell you, don't waste your money on other companies offering the same services, you can get the help you need free at most employment centres. One I am now frequenting is part of a colllege in their own sector of the college as I am wanting a paid job placement in something related while I wait for my Nurse registration to come through for Ontario.