Table Lamps

Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice
Default Table Lamps

Hi - will my table lamps work in Canada?

Cheers,

Stuart.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Table Lamps

Originally Posted by stokesey
Hi - will my table lamps work in Canada?

Cheers,

Stuart.
Unlikely but bring them anyway if you're thinking that way.

It's not that hard to re-wire them with Canadian lamp holders and plugs.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stuart,

We know someone who had that done here (ie: re-wiring of UK lamps). Seemed to work out OK for them. We can find out who did the work if you're interested.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby rewired our table lamps and they work fine.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Unlikely but bring them anyway if you're thinking that way.

It's not that hard to re-wire them with Canadian lamp holders and plugs.
I brought two sets of table lamps that had been gifts so I wanted to keep them - got them converted here. It works well - wasn't cheap but I suspect I could have got it done much cheaper if I had shopped around.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I brought two sets of table lamps that had been gifts so I wanted to keep them - got them converted here. It works well - wasn't cheap but I suspect I could have got it done much cheaper if I had shopped around.
If by "shopped around" you include popping into your nearest Home Depot, then you could have done it for very little! Five bucks a pop for a lampholder, plus as much cable as you need. It's important to change out the cable as well as the lampholder, because e.g. a 60W bulb at 110V will draw twice as much current as a 60W/240V bulb.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If by "shopped around" you include popping into your nearest Home Depot, then you could have done it for very little! Five bucks a pop for a lampholder, plus as much cable as you need. It's important to change out the cable as well as the lampholder, because e.g. a 60W bulb at 110V will draw twice as much current as a 60W/240V bulb.

Absolutely would have been the way to do it - I took mine to a lamp shop in down town Oakville, hence the cost. But they do work and it was worth it to me. Now we have been here a while the Home Depot is where I would go too.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

yes they will work, if u don't want to go to the bother of re-wiring them, just bring lots of English bulbs with ya (bayonet) of the highest wattage, they will shine half the brightness, and just change the plug!!!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
yes they will work, if u don't want to go to the bother of re-wiring them, just bring lots of English bulbs with ya (bayonet) of the highest wattage, they will shine half the brightness, and just change the plug!!!
Actually, they'd shine at one quarter the brightness, since the light output is proportional to the square of the current though the filament, which would be about half of the design current.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:40 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Are these those special gold and diamond encrusted lamps????? If not can I state the obvious and say maybe buy some new ones here?

If they are sentimental heirlooms then apologies and carry on as you were.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:51 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Are these those special gold and diamond encrusted lamps????? If not can I state the obvious and say maybe buy some new ones here?

sentimental heirlooms here (that's hard to type after a bottle or two of finest plonk from LCBO...). Not sentinental enough to pay someone else to do the work though - the sentimentality was OH's, so I reckoned I could get away with a DIY job. Seems to have worked- lights still work, she's still here
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:38 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
sentimental heirlooms here (that's hard to type after a bottle or two of finest plonk from LCBO...). Not sentinental enough to pay someone else to do the work though - the sentimentality was OH's, so I reckoned I could get away with a DIY job. Seems to have worked- lights still work, she's still here
I bet you had shaky hands though
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

No not sentimental at all, but I like them and I'm starting to think if I can save a few quid be converting what I have then why not.

Looked on the Home Depot website and it looks like it'll only cost a few $ per lamp.

Cheers for the replies.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:56 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't everyone use [explosive, mercury containing] CFL's nowadays?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Actually, they'd shine at one quarter the brightness, since the light output is proportional to the square of the current though the filament, which would be about half of the design current.
Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
No not sentimental at all, but I like them and I'm starting to think if I can save a few quid be converting what I have then why not.

Looked on the Home Depot website and it looks like it'll only cost a few $ per lamp.

Cheers for the replies.
Can you post a link to the item(s) ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.