Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

T1135 Foreign Income Verificiation (New Form)

T1135 Foreign Income Verificiation (New Form)

Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: T1135 Foreign Income Verificiation (New Form)

We feel the same as you! Would rather get it sorted now rather than the problem rearing it's head in the future. Our slight dilemma is that there will be a certain fee associated with getting that retrospect valuation done and we are trying to get a feel for whether it's actually needed to justify that cost, also with the complication that we became tax resident here in Canada on different dates.
You certainly don't realise the full implications of these things when you decide to up sticks and move!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Hi, just wanted to clarify whether I have to send a hard copy of my T1135 to the CRA as well as my netfile version as Ufile tells me to send it to them but I file electronically? It probably doesn't hurt to do both but wonder if this is really necessary (I can't find anything about this on the CRA website!) Any thoughts?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you can file the T1135 electronically - you have to post to an address in Ottawa given on the website
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Don't think you can file the T1135 electronically - you have to post to an address in Ottawa given on the website
My accountant filed mine electronically (a scanned document). I've already had my refund from the Feds.

I wish Revenu Quebec were as fast. We are both expecting a bundle from them and we could do with it to cover closing costs that we have coming. Soon.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

DougC is an unknown quantity at this point

So.... any more answers to my question about reporting house values on my T1135 & how that will affect capital gains?

Two days to go until I have to file........

Thanks,

DougC
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DougC
So.... any more answers to my question about reporting house values on my T1135 & how that will affect capital gains?

Two days to go until I have to file........

Thanks,

DougC
I don't think anyone actually knows - this is the first year you have to declare. I listed my house as the value I can justify when I moved over, in CAD at the time I moved over. The solicitors are currently busy doing the paperwork for the sale of my house, so next year I will have to deal with the capital gains.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Doug - please note that for this year only, the T1135 filing deadline has been extended as per the CRA website
'Note that for the 2013 tax year, the CRA has extended the filing deadline to July 31, 2014 for all taxpayers. The CRA will not apply the late filing penalty where the form has been submitted on or before this extended filing deadline.'
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Doug - please note that for this year only, the T1135 filing deadline has been extended as per the CRA website
'Note that for the 2013 tax year, the CRA has extended the filing deadline to July 31, 2014 for all taxpayers. The CRA will not apply the late filing penalty where the form has been submitted on or before this extended filing deadline.'
Well spotted, Thanks!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're welcome :-) Seems like we're in a similar position to you and it gives a little more time to sort things out.

Last edited by Twitcher1958; Apr 29th 2014 at 5:14 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DougC
Me neither. I can only guess that if they really started looking, they could use online searches for how much neighbouring properties sold for around the same time.

Maybe I'm being paranoid now but I want to get this right from the start so I don't have a huge headache further down the line.....
They can also use the Land Registry index of house prices, which is available to search online.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Just wading through this now, had same comment on the return from the tax I filed electronically saying I needed to enter the T1135.

Last year they simplified it by allowing us to enter foreign property income on form T776, which I did again this year, so when I send the T1135 I need to ensure I put a cover note telling them I already gave them this income, so I don't get double dipped.

Still confused by maximum cost amount during the year and end of year, as some are mentioning when they came to Canada, I presume both figures refer to 2013 only.
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

sgbolt is an unknown quantity at this point

i called CRA and they mentioned to me the cost is the cost i paid for the property - not what it was worth when i arrived in Canada. I bought it ten years ago, surely they can't claim the capital from before i even lived here. I asked all my friends too who are in similar situation and they had their taxes filed by accountants and they all put the value of the house THIS tax year (2013). Confusing or what?

Last edited by sgbolt; May 3rd 2014 at 5:15 pm.
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sgbolt
i called CRA and they mentioned to me the cost is the cost i paid for the property - not what it was worth when i arrived in Canada. I bought it ten years ago, surely they can't claim the capital from before i even lived here. I asked all my friends too who are in similar situation and they had their taxes filed by accountants and they all put the value of the house THIS tax year (2013). Confusing or what?
The valuation is in CAD using the BOC rate on the day you became a tax resident. This is your base cost. You need a formal valuation though, not your best guess. It would only be the price you paid for it if you were a tax resident when you purchased the property.

It is a very straightforward form with clear and easy to follow instructions attached. See page three of the form 'Instructions, Cost Amount'

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1...135-11-13e.pdf

"If you immigrate to Canada, the cost amount is the fair market value of the property at the time of immigration."

Last edited by Aviator; May 3rd 2014 at 7:57 pm.
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Aviator,

I agree that the form itself is very clear.

The problem I have (& I appear to not be alone), is the figures which I enter in the boxes will have a huge implication on future Capital Gains (even if I don't make any!) & I don't think CRA have thought this through.

What's your take on the question/ scenario I put forward in Post #43?
Old May 5th 2014, 11:15 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone noticed that the UK tax form has become a lot more demanding this year regarding "foreign" stuff?

It took me 10 minutes to file my return last year. This year I will have to hire an accountant in the UK. I can't make head nor tail of the form.

The US is also cracking down on this kind of thing, so I'm guessing other countries are too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.