Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Switching drivers license UK to Canadian?

Switching drivers license UK to Canadian?

Old May 3rd 2019, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Switching drivers license UK to Canadian?

I went to change my UK license yesterday and was told to wait until I had a permanent residence - makes sense. Does the 90 day period to continue using UK license start on the activation date of my PR or the date when I landed to settle? My activation date was last Sept. I am assuming it's when I landed to settle but just want to make sure I will not be driving illegally. Thanks for clarifying if anyone has been in a similar situation.
Old May 3rd 2019, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching drivers license UK to Canadian?

The rules depend on where you are - there isn't a "Canadian" licence, it's a Provincial competence (so there's a BC licence, an AB licence, an ON licence, a QC licence, etc etc). As an example, in BC you don't need a "permanent" residence, you must swap within 90 days of moving to BC ("becoming ordinarily resident"), and they want your accurate address, which you can update online whenever it changes (so a landing trip wouldn't establish ordinary residency, but if you have moved there then just not yet having bought or rented a house you're staying in long-term isn't a reason not to swap). The rules for the other Provinces and Territories will depend on local law.
Old May 3rd 2019, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I am in BC and tried to exchange yesterday but got told I needed a permanent residence first. Thanks for clarifying on the 90 day validity.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
Thanks, I am in BC and tried to exchange yesterday but got told I needed a permanent residence first. Thanks for clarifying on the 90 day validity.
I suspect you need to go back and politely tell the ICBC drones they're talking out of their arses. And ask to speak to a supervisor if they try to brush you off again.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:30 pm
D23
Just Joined

D23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 26th 2019, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I suspect you need to go back and politely tell the ICBC drones they're talking out of their arses. And ask to speak to a supervisor if they try to brush you off again.
they need to see proof of residency I.e. that you live here. I swooped mine with work permit
Old Jun 26th 2019, 1:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

they need to see proof of residency I.e. that you live here. I swooped mine with work permit
In Ontario we needed to provide proof of residency, which was difficult because we had a Super Visa which no one knew anything about, therefore it wasn’t accepted. In the end we went to the border and obtained a Visitor’s Record. This was accepted and we exchanged our New Jersey licenses for Ontario licenses.

Do you have a visa? Ask what is acceptable to provide proof of residency. Note...you do not have to provide proof of permanent residency...just proof of residency.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 5:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I went to change my UK license yesterday and was told to wait until I had a permanent residence - makes sense. Does the 90 day period to continue using UK license start on the activation date of my PR or the date when I landed to settle? My activation date was last Sept. I am assuming it's when I landed to settle but just want to make sure I will not be driving illegally. Thanks for clarifying if anyone has been in a similar situation.
Do you have your PR Card? BC appears to require one for exchange of licenses instead of your record of landing (COPR) as a Primary ID
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...cepted-ID.aspx - see also our Wiki (COPR is not enough) https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...itish_Columbia
Permanent resident card (previously Canadian record of landing)

Not accepted if expired.
Confirmation of permanent resident IMM5292 or IMM5688 are not accepted as primary ID.
Must show your full legal name and date of birth.
Do use this time to get the proof of driving experience for Insurance - https://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving...residents.aspx
Old Jun 26th 2019, 6:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do you have your PR Card? BC appears to require one for exchange of licenses instead of your record of landing (COPR) as a Primary ID
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...cepted-ID.aspx - see also our Wiki (COPR is not enough) https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...itish_Columbia
Permanent resident card (previously Canadian record of landing)

Not accepted if expired.
Confirmation of permanent resident IMM5292 or IMM5688 are not accepted as primary ID.
Must show your full legal name and date of birth.
Do use this time to get the proof of driving experience for Insurance - https://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving...residents.aspx
But see also (from your first source)
Student, work, visitor, or temporary-resident permit (IMM1442)
  • If any of these documents expire within six months, you'll only be able to apply for an interim driver's licence (paper) and not a photo licence. If you brought these in the last time you visited our office you must also bring in your most current immigration document.
  • Must show your full legal name and date of birth
  • ​If you used an immigration form (IMM1442) the last time you got your B.C. licence or BCID, you must bring it with you when renewing or replacing your licence or BCID, and when taking a knowledge or road test.​
  • Not accepted for a photo or combined BC Services Card application or renewal.
If the OP does not have a PR card, but is here on a work permit (which is the impression I got from the initial post) then that work permit is an acceptable primary identity document.

/edited to add:
but I see the original post was from several weeks ago: hopefully the OP's all fixed up by now.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 6:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
But see also (from your first source)
Student, work, visitor, or temporary-resident permit (IMM1442)
  • If any of these documents expire within six months, you'll only be able to apply for an interim driver's licence (paper) and not a photo licence. If you brought these in the last time you visited our office you must also bring in your most current immigration document.
  • Must show your full legal name and date of birth
  • ​If you used an immigration form (IMM1442) the last time you got your B.C. licence or BCID, you must bring it with you when renewing or replacing your licence or BCID, and when taking a knowledge or road test.​
  • Not accepted for a photo or combined BC Services Card application or renewal.
If the OP does not have a PR card, but is here on a work permit (which is the impression I got from the initial post) then that work permit is an acceptable primary identity document.

/edited to add:
but I see the original post was from several weeks ago: hopefully the OP's all fixed up by now.

Good point, I had assumed that the OP had done a 'soft landing' in September and had now moved over... but you may well be right -
Old Jun 26th 2019, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OP mentions activated in Sept last year which I am assuming was the landing but not establishing a residence. When he did the landing he became a PR but if not providing a Canadian address wouldn't have been sent a PR card. He cannot be a student, worker or visitor. So looks like he will have to wait until he gets the PR card as they won't accept the COPR form even though it would be dated Sept 2018.

One of the pitfalls of doing the landing without establishing a residence and not having a PR card.