Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Swapping UK licence for Ontario - how long does it take?

Swapping UK licence for Ontario - how long does it take?

Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

ConstructionGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swapping UK licence for Ontario - how long does it take?

Evening all,

I've just moved over and need to change my licence. I've done some research on here and on the Drivetest website which indicates I just turn up to my nearest Drivetest centre and exchange it - but what I can't work out is when I get the Ontario licence - is it there and then? Or do they send a personalised version (meaning I am without a licence until it turns up in the post?)

I can't find any info about costs either - and is it just me, or do all the Drivetest centres seem quite hard to get to without a car?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
ConstructionGuy
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:30 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Swapping UK licence for Ontario - how long does it take?

Originally Posted by ConstructionGuy
Evening all,

I've just moved over and need to change my licence. I've done some research on here and on the Drivetest website which indicates I just turn up to my nearest Drivetest centre and exchange it - but what I can't work out is when I get the Ontario licence - is it there and then? Or do they send a personalised version (meaning I am without a licence until it turns up in the post?)

I can't find any info about costs either - and is it just me, or do all the Drivetest centres seem quite hard to get to without a car?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
ConstructionGuy
you get a paper confirmation right there and then with your #...the plastic card took 2-4 weeks to arrive
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Fantastic, cheers sheadboy. Apologies for an extremely dull first post but I knew someone on here would know the answer...
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:56 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I think the cost was around $75....also double check the location you are going to does licences (I found in Ottawa not all do the exchange).
Old Dec 18th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JB0591
I think the cost was around $75....also double check the location you are going to does licences (I found in Ottawa not all do the exchange).
The one on Walkley Road gives you the paper one straight away.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:32 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rich07
The one on Walkley Road gives you the paper one straight away.
I think that is where we ended up, only 2nd day in city so did not have bearings...our friends took us to a Service Ontario place first but we were directed to Walkley road. It was quick and easy to change over licence.....god that feels like ages ago but only just over a year
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies!

ConstructionGuy
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:04 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I changed mine last week. It was $75 and I got a temporary paper license and they said the 'real' one would be around 4 weeks.

They wanted both sections of the UK licence (card & Paper) and took them off me.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:22 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

where are you settling constructionguy?
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Toronto - got a job that starts after Christmas so just trying to tie up some loose ends before I start (swapping drivers licence, finding somewhere more permanent to live, sorting out some proper winter gear etc) Enjoying it so far although it's much more similar to home than I remembered from holidays...possibly a good thing for avoiding long term culture shock.

Starting to think this whole 'Canada is freezing' thing is a conspiracy though...where is the snow!? It was warmer than the UK last week! Everyone keeps reassuring me that it will come to Ontario - but it's late December and I've only seen a flurry or two....where are the 10 foot sidewalk piles?
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:14 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

congrats mate, all the best...I keep getting told I haven't had a cold winter yet. had the odd day when it was cold enough to make my chubby beardy face nearly weep, but it never lasted more than a few days....the cold, not the weeping.....that lasted WAY longer
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Jon_b is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone tried exchanging an expired UK licence? Sounds a stupid question, but teh photo on mine has just expired, the license itself is in date. Is a major pain to apply for a new UK license from abroad, only to immediately exchange a new one for an Ontario license.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 10:02 am
Just Joined

nouveau-canadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jon_b
Has anyone tried exchanging an expired UK licence? Sounds a stupid question, but teh photo on mine has just expired, the license itself is in date. Is a major pain to apply for a new UK license from abroad, only to immediately exchange a new one for an Ontario license.
Hi Jon,

Sorry to state the obvious here - but if the photo has expired then that in effect means the whole license has expired therefore logic would suggest that you'll need a valid UK license to exchange for a Canadian one; but I'm happy to be proven wrong.