Swapping driver's licence

Wikiposts

Swapping driver's licence

Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

jorja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swapping driver's licence

Hi ksct97,

Where in Montreal do I need to go to change over my UK license? I was hesitating as I didn't want to have to hand over my UK license.

Thanx
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
In any province you can aquire insurance for various periods at various expense and drive on an ordinary UK (cars) licence for six months max. Ontario & New Brunswick will swap if one wants to. If you go back to UK, if you swap back you will only get an AUTOMATIC gearbox licence. You can use a Canadian licence to a maximum of one year in the UK.

Wouldn't the DVLA know from their records that you had previously held an unrestricted GB licence?

Jeremy
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jorja
Hi ksct97,

Where in Montreal do I need to go to change over my UK license? I was hesitating as I didn't want to have to hand over my UK license.

Thanx
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/

By all accounts Quebec does not require you to surrender your UK licence. But get a copy in advance just in case.

Jeremy
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

wellington is an unknown quantity at this point

Daft idea - what's to stop you from getting a duplicate of your UK licience " I washed it in my jeans pocket....." and going over with 2. One for exchange and one to keep in the biscuit tin with passport ready for the 1000 dollar reminder trips to Blighty.

Just a thought.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

The DVLA computer will stop you - the one you washed in your jeans will have an earlier issue date than your replacement and if you are ever asked by the UK Police for your licence and show anything but the 'last issue' dated one you will be in trouble.
If you hand in the 'original' UK one in Canada the info will be fed back to DVLA so questioning your claim to have washed it in your jeans - if, in Canada, you hand in the 'replacement' UK one then when you return to the UK and don't replace your Canadian license but instead drive on your 'original' UK one then go back to the top of his reply.
Originally Posted by wellington
Daft idea - what's to stop you from getting a duplicate of your UK licience " I washed it in my jeans pocket....." and going over with 2. One for exchange and one to keep in the biscuit tin with passport ready for the 1000 dollar reminder trips to Blighty.
Just a thought.
This is incorrect. When you apply for an exchange licence on return to the UK you fill in your original license number and date of issue (only if you originally had one of course) on the aplication form. DVLA then re-issue you your 'original license' classification entitlement (assuming no vehicle specific time limits apply that require a retest) complete with any penalties.
....... If you go back to UK, if you swap back you will only get an AUTOMATIC gearbox licence. You can use a Canadian licence to a maximum of one year in the UK
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

At present on the UK DVLA site it clearly states, handing in a Canadian license will only get you a UK auto-licence !!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:15 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you go back to UK, if you swap back you will only get an AUTOMATIC gearbox licence.
Bob said in another thread that he had been looking into this and had found that if you can prove you took the test in a standard you can get a standard replacement. Presumably if you tell the DVLC your old license number (take a copy for the biscuit tin before swapping licenses) and that you swapped for a canadian one and are swapped back, they would be satisfied from their own records that you once had a standard license?

What's the big deal with taking a test again anyway, and shouldnt you lot all be blindly optimistic about happily spending the rest of your days in canada anyway, so who cares what sort of UK license you get if and when you go back
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

I agree, wy help those who run back to the UK ?

For those brave enough to stay, John Walker Insurance, St John, NB.
Can arrange auto ins. on UK or a Canadian license.
The cost in cash terms is the same as UK costs.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

I think this topic is running twice in a funny kind of way, but here is a link for people going to UK if it helps.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvin...er%20countries

Section 7 for Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

You are saying to DVLA - had enough of this country give me my UK license back. The application form for a 'replacement' license covers several contingencies including the simple exchanging of a 'foreign' license into a UK one - if you never held an 'original' UK license then the 'exchange' one you get will be whatever the rules say. BUT there is a section on form D1 for you to fill in your original UK license number and if you do so you will get your 'original' UK license back in 'exchange' for your Canadian one. DVLA records will show the 'state' your licence was last at and you will be issued a 'replacemnt' one to the same standard (assuming HGV's, or whatever, are still time covered without a retest).
At present on the UK DVLA site it clearly states, handing in a Canadian license will only get you a UK auto-licence !!!