Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Swapping driver's licence

Wikiposts

Swapping driver's licence

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping driver's licence

Originally Posted by ksct97
here in quebec, when you exchange your UK license, you get to keep it still!... so i have possession of both my UK and Quebec driving license
Before I requested a replacement UK licence from DVLA on my return to the UK from Cyprus I contacted them to ask if I could keep my Cypriot licence for when/if I went back. I was told that only the last licence issued, irrespective of country of issue, was the valid one and that I must surrender my Cypriot one before I could hold a valid UK one. So if you visit the UK and hire a car I suggest you use your Canadian licence, if you use your ‘old’ UK one and for whatever reason a check is carried out you may find yourself with a problem.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ksct97
here in quebec, when you exchange your UK license, you get to keep it still!... so i have possession of both my UK and Quebec driving license
And what do you do when your british license is expiring?
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
You retake the test because it expires when you are 75 years old.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macmike41
You retake the test because it expires when you are 75 years old.
70 in the UK. My 70yr old Dad recently had to sign something to say he was fit and they reissued him with one, no questions asked, no retest. I say "retest", he never actually took a driving test in the first place but that's another story.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
70 in the UK. My 70yr old Dad recently had to sign something to say he was fit and they reissued him with one, no questions asked, no retest. I say "retest", he never actually took a driving test in the first place but that's another story.
Yea 70 it is, I was going from memory and at my age I forget things ... ermmm sorry what were we talking about again.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 3:58 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
that's gonna happen when i hit 70!... quite far off for now...
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone!!

My canadian husband (who is here with me in the UK) wonders...

Once he has his Class 1 UK license and we eventually do move back to Ontario, will he have to again take another driving test? (previously held a class 1 Ontario license before coming to the UK). poor guy, having to take so many driving tests he never gets to pick up any bad driving habits lol).
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macmike41
Before I requested a replacement UK licence from DVLA on my return to the UK from Cyprus I contacted them to ask if I could keep my Cypriot licence for when/if I went back. I was told that only the last licence issued, irrespective of country of issue, was the valid one and that I must surrender my Cypriot one before I could hold a valid UK one.
It would be interesting to know what specific UK law (if such a law exists - it may not) invalidates your British driving licence just because you obtain an overseas one.

Jeremy
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
It would be interesting to know what specific UK law (if such a law exists - it may not) invalidates your British driving licence just because you obtain an overseas one.
Jeremy
If you simply take a new test in Canada and retain your UK license the only catch will be - and this is required ‘by law’, don’t know what law but it says that on the DVLA website - your having to notify DVLA of your change of address and as your new address will be in Canada (or wherever) it may well wave a flag for your licence details to be put under ‘review/investigation’. As your license is a 'record' of your driving performance it would seem illogical for 'official' bodies to ignore the possibility that with 2 licences you can effectively have 2 records, one unblemished with the other full of penalty points, with you retaining the option as to which license to give to the police for checks to be carried out. So although I don’t know all the inns and outs I feel sure, as DVLA told me, there must be a catch somewhere that limits you to one ‘valid’ license.
Alternatively if you ‘exchange’ your licence in a recognised country then by definition you no longer hold a valid UK one and so the last one issued is the only valid one. On return to the UK If you apply for anything other than an exchange licence, e.g. if you apply for a replacement license and say you lost your original one, you will be entering false information onto an ‘official’ application form and signing to say that it is accurate – I don’t know what law this breaks but I’m sure it breaks at least one. And although this false claim may not be picked up it may, for whatever reason, turn up and bite you at some future date.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:10 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

You do not have to give up licence and never see it again. if youreturn to the Uk you can ask for it back. Id it is a case that you just like to look at it!
In theory you can also apply to DVLA for a replacement licence, claiming that it was lost. Pay the money and receive a new licence ( need an address in UK though)

You are not meant to hold two licences as you are now a Canadian resident
not British.

Originally Posted by jihix
So I am living in Ontario now after somehow getting away with driving with just an international licence in B.C. for ages.

I am halfway through this graduated licence system and I've just found out from my friend that instead of taking the final test I can just swap my UK licence for an Ontario one.

Turns out they've (Government types) just updated the international agreement. Didn't seem fair the way it was before because you could just just swap your licence over if you were from Japan or Korea or Germany (car producing nation anyone?) Now the UK is in the mix too.

But I'm strangely reluctant to part with my DVLC. Not just becuase the picture is fantastic but because it was so hard to get.

It took me three goes before a nice examiner in Putney finally passed me.

What have you all done?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Spook is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new to the forum.

Reading this thread I don't see an answer to this question.

If I swapped my UK licence for a Canadian one would it have the same categories on it. I have an LGV C+E licence (HGV Class1) and a PSV D+E licence (Coaches). Or would that depend which province?

I have also heard that Canada is looking to recruit Truck drivers from the UK and would fast track the immegration for them. Any truth in that????

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Spook,
Welcome to the forum -
Re Q1 - you could try searching through http://canadaonline.about.com/od/driverslicence/ it covers all provinces and you would know best exactly what the equiv Canadian is to your UK.
Re Q2 - sorry hope someone else can help you on that one.
Mike

Originally Posted by Spook
Hi, I am new to the forum.

Reading this thread I don't see an answer to this question.

If I swapped my UK licence for a Canadian one would it have the same categories on it. I have an LGV C+E licence (HGV Class1) and a PSV D+E licence (Coaches). Or would that depend which province?

I have also heard that Canada is looking to recruit Truck drivers from the UK and would fast track the immegration for them. Any truth in that????

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

I am a Trucker emmigrating to Canada, see my signature for my timeline, NO it does not fast track you to canada,and YES you DO have to retake your HGV Class1 or C+E as it is now called.
The reason you have to retake it in Canada is it is called a A+Z catogory, A is the Class of vehicle you drive,,,,,,the Z means you have completed an air brake course, ...why?.... if you were to be stopped by the police or customs at the border and they do what we call here a Ministry inspection ,, if the brakes are found to be failing in any way, YOU are responsible for the repair or adjustment. afterall to send a mechanic thousands of kms to adjust a brake actuator would be costly.

Last edited by George-Ang; Feb 4th 2005 at 7:16 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

In any province you can aquire insurance for various periods at various expense and drive on an ordinary UK (cars) licence for six months max. Ontario & New Brunswick will swap if one wants to. If you go back to UK, if you swap back you will only get an AUTOMATIC gearbox licence. You can use a Canadian licence to a maximum of one year in the UK.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:11 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
In any province you can aquire insurance for various periods at various expense and drive on an ordinary UK (cars) licence for six months max. Ontario & New Brunswick will swap if one wants to. If you go back to UK, if you swap back you will only get an AUTOMATIC gearbox licence. You can use a Canadian licence to a maximum of one year in the UK.
did you not get to keep your UK license?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.