Swap UK driving licence in Quebec

Swap UK driving licence in Quebec

Old Mar 11th 2023, 7:11 pm
HTS
Just Joined

HTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swap UK driving licence in Quebec

Hi,
I will move from the UK to the province of Quebec soon and I would like to know if it is possible to simply swap my UK driving licence with the Quebec licence without having to do any test?

Apart from this my plan is:
- get an international driving licence at the UK post office 1 week before leaving
- use my UK driving licence with the paired international licence in Quebec for up to 1 year (go from visitor status to PR status in the meantime)
- convert the licence before the 1 year ends

Is this process correct, in particular about using the UK driving licence with the paired international licence for 1 year even if I don't have a residential address in UK anymore.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swap UK driving licence in Quebec

What’s the logic of getting an international driving licence? I’m in Ontario, not Quebec, so it was a straight swap as long as you’ve had your UK licence a certain amount of time - I think I got an interim paper one until the proper one arrived. Is there a reason in Quebec not to swap straight away?
Old Mar 12th 2023, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need the IDL, but what will your status be when you arrive in Canada? I'm confused as you mention moving but then say visitor to PR? Have you applied for spousal sponsorship?
Old Mar 12th 2023, 8:24 am
HTS
Just Joined

christmasoompa Twitcher1958

I will be (hopefully) entering as visitor and then apply for inland spousal sponsorship. And that is the logic why I need an IDL, because after 6 months of staying in Quebec I can't use my UKDL, do correct me if I am wrong.
saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/drivers-licences/international-driving-permit
"An international driving permit is mandatory if… You are staying in Québec for more than 6 months and intend on driving on public roads." It could take me more than 6 months to get PR + the time to swap the UKDL with QCDL.

I know they may not let me in as visitor with dual intent, if that happens so be it, I will go somewhere else while I get PR via outland spousal sponsorship.

Re swapping without test, I have read conflicting information but generally Quebec is simply more difficult to deal with than Ontario. This website seems to give very similar directions also for licences issued in a country with agreement..
saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/drivers-licences/canadian-foreign-drivers-licence

Could I start the swapping process once I get the open work permit?

Last edited by HTS; Mar 12th 2023 at 8:37 am.
Old Mar 12th 2023, 8:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, ok. You seem to be aware of the risks, as you mention not having a UK address that may be particularly pertinent, if you won't have a job/home to go back to in the UK. Trying to enter as a visitor and then apply inland is a bit of a risky strategy anyway, even for those with ties to the UK. The usual advice is to apply outland before you go and wait until you have sponsor approval to enter, if you can rethink your strategy that may be best (the Wiki has lots more info on this). You're not by any chance young enough for an IEC are you?

You're not likely to have PR within a year just FYI, unless processing times speed up considerably.
Old Mar 12th 2023, 10:57 am
HTS
Just Joined

yeah, I am aware of the risks of inland application.

Initially, you said I didn't need a IDL, but based on my latest message, do you agree with me that I do need one?

Also, do I need to inform UK DVLA that I live in Canada/that I don't have a UK address anymore as soon as I enter Canada? Would this 'invalidate' my UK DL and therefore need the IDL?

Could I start the driving licence swapping process as soon as I get the open work permit?