Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SUV into Canada. Experts please...

SUV into Canada. Experts please...

Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

njdude26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SUV into Canada. Experts please...

I landed in Canada in May 2004. I got my PR Card then. At landing I had declared that I had a Toyota Camry. Then in late 2005 I bought a new SUV costing 45k here in the USA. So now as my 3 years will run out I have decided to move to Canada in Oct.

Now what happens to the new car. I assume I can take the old Camry which I had declared before without incurring any taxes. What is the procedure. Originally I landed in Canada in Montreal. Now I will be driving into Toronto. How do I then get a new plate for the cars and is there something I need to do at the entry point to make sure I dont incur any taxes ??

but what about the new one ? How much do I pay ? Is it worth even taking the car or selling it ?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SUV into Canada. Experts please...

You will have to pay the duties on it if you want to bring it. As far as the canadian government goes they made the mistake of taking you seriously when you said you were landing, and assumed that meant that you were actually coming to live in Canada at that point.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Any idea what the duties are and how much it will cost me ?

Originally Posted by iaink
You will have to pay the duties on it if you want to bring it. As far as the canadian government goes they made the mistake of taking you seriously when you said you were landing, and assumed that meant that you were actually coming to live in Canada at that point.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njdude26
Any idea what the duties are and how much it will cost me ?
No, but try this
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

Last edited by iaink; Jul 24th 2006 at 7:36 am.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:42 am
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: SUV into Canada. Experts please...

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
Old Jul 31st 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

This is interesting. I called up the border, customs whatever phone no. the border agent i spoke to told me this
If I can prove to the border officers that the car I bought is 6+ months old then it is duty free. as a returning resident they will make me do a new list of goods to follow and at that time it seems i can include this new car as well. then no duty. however i may still end up paying the 8% tax on the car...
Anyone has had similiar experience