Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Sutherlands Landing

The Sutherlands Landing

Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:26 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Sutherlands Landing

Originally Posted by Dive06
Congratulations on your happy arrival, it sounds like you have it all covered.
Are you thinking of living in the Whitby area? We just moved to Whitby in December and love it.

Matt
Cool what area are you in>?
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:42 pm
Who? Me?

Tam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really nice

Thats great I am so glad for you. You make it sound al oh so easy!! I too am flying from Glasgow to Toronto and your posting has really cheered me up!!

Any quick tips for me and the family that wi make the passage easier/ BTW I've ptinted off your posting to take with me on the plane, I'll read it again before I disembark, that way I wil know what to expect.
Well done and good luck to you.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 3:31 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

No real tips, As I have covered everything..

But, if the kids have DS head phones they fit and it saves you $1 in buying a set on the plane ..

And the best of luck and safe journey
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:11 pm
Ontario

PART 2

Well the house hunting went well, looked over a nice town house to rent but it was in the lower part of Whitby and the family advised us to look else where, 2nd one we looked at was just dirty and not maintained 3rd was in the grounds of a bakers that owned the house and so to close as far as we felt to the owners of the property.
The last one we looked at was in Ajax, Nice 3 bedroom townhouse, right amount of $ with in walking distance for both the kids to go to school, 15 mins walk to the Lake. We took it and signed the agreement only yesterday, signed the kids into the local school to the new house using a letter that the landlord printed out for us proving our address (even though we don’t move into till the 1st of March which was good of them) They go to school on Monday thank god.

The kids schooling can be a bit different the youngest has gone from a grade 6 in the UK to a Grade 5 here, but our oldest has the most change as her school year is split into 2 semesters, For example in her last school she done all her subjects all year round and then got tested at the end of the year, at the school she is now going to attend they split the school year into 2 and also your subjects, meaning that she will only do 4 subjects this semester every day of the week, week in week out till the end then get tested on those four. Also told she will do summer school to get her maths up to their grade before going into grade 10. She will also be given points towards the half year of work she has done in the UK…will keep you all updated on how she copes with this new way of schooling.

Also bought a people carrier today, that was the easy part getting insurance nearly sent us into a spin, as you can not pick the car up till you show proof you have it, also it allows you to get the (reg) plate. Hubby had gone online and seen we could pick it up for $1800 which from what I have read is very good, till he phoned to get it set up he was told 15 days it would take. Omg we have just bought the car it’s still sitting on the lot and we can’t move it. Remembered state farm being mentioned on the site so looked up the yellow pages and gave them a phone, they hum and huffed but if we went in to the office and paid the amount they would set it up there and then, thus allowing hubby to go back to the garage and show proof of the insurance, we even got the house insurance set up starting on the 1st giving 15% saving on the car insurance total for both for the year $2000.

So in less than a week and 2 days we have now only to find jobs, and wait for the shipping to arrive Canada’s great eh!!!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the momentum going, jobs will come by at the rate you guys are going.
Thanks for the post, I enjoy reading them.
Yoong
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

rich1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

blimey your doing great hope it goes that smooth for us when we its our turn
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:15 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Great news bud, really hope everything else works out for you as smoothly Weve just made the craziest decision or the best, time will tell which way it turns out But beats sat here quietly going crazy .
Old Feb 10th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
After having a quick 10 hour flight from Glasgow/Manchester to Toronto, we arrived on Canadian soil, the walk down to immigration helped some what, for the stiff limbs and sore backsides that we where all nursing at that stage.

With all documentation at hand we arrived at the port of entry and passed over our visa cards that you are asked to fill out on the plane, once we had done that, he then welcomed us to Canada and told the kids they will in around 6 months be adding eh!! To the end of each sentence that they spoke. We where then directed to the immigration section, at this stage all paper work regarding your application is asked for, we where asked one or two straight forward questions and then asked to sign the forms that we had handed over, once this was done we where then directed to the Lady in the red jacket to get our welcome to Canada pack that has paper work for, OHIP, SIN, CCTB, and other information (not read it all yet).

We then went to get our luggage, next step was to declare ours goods to follow; at this point we had to show our shipping inventory, and to prove our funds coming into the country, once this had been stamped we where done.

Canada had welcomed us with a sugar coating of snow, -6 really is not cold at all unless your hit by the wind chill factor, it is meant to be dropping to -20 over the weekend with snow forecasted.

The next day we had planned what to do and in what order, First was to Hire a car so we could get about, one week rental for the two of us in a small 5 door car was $440 fully insured, did get 10% knocked off as the hire company up the road was charging 10 dollars less but could not give us the car until 5pm. So when told if they couldn’t match it, I would wait till 5pm for the other company. Hubby thought I was mad but it worked hehehe.

Next was our car licences, we had all ready looked up the yellow/white pages and had found the address of all the places we needed to get too, arrived explained what we needed and was sent over to another counter clerk, $150.00 later and 2 pictures and eye tests done we where proud owners of temporary Ontario Licences, (cards due in 3 weeks).

SIN cards next, yes we could have posted them but when you go in person you will, there and then get your numbers, cards will arrive in around 5 weeks, the kids didn’t need these but you can get them, they are only needed when the kids reach 16years old.

Then to the bank, we have gone with the TD Canada bank, and that was so easy we walked right in spoke to the counter assistant that happened to be Scottish and she made sure we where seen right away, cards, pins done all there and then. Having the SIN number really did help in setting up the account, the bank has even waived the charges for the first couple of months and have even changed the amounts that we can take out on the cards, as in the first six months we expect large transactions. So 2 happy bunnies leaving the bank (bet that never happens again).

Ran out of time so set off early today (2nd Feb.) jumped into the bank to ask them to fax our Hifx details so we could get our money transferred (no fee), then over to get our OHIP details done, you need to show documents to prove who you are and where you are staying, (thank god) we got our driving licenses as these where needed to prove where we where staying.
All and all the past 2 days have been fun and very busy, next up is to look for a rental house and a car, Kids schools I will look into on Monday, as I wanted to give them a wee holiday before they hit the books.

Will get back to you all when I have more time..

Sutherlands
Great post, with lots of info.

Just wanted to wish you luck for the rest of your "new" life!

Many thanks & all the best.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:31 am
Ontario

Five weeks later

The last five weeks have gone by very quickly here, the kids where put into school in the first 2 weeks and they have settled down nicely, the youngest (10) more so than the 14 year old. It’s a bit hard for her as she is in different classes for each subject where as the youngest is in the same class with the same kids every day. But they are enjoying the new ways; the oldest (14) was put into the advanced classes and had a score of 77% in her course work in English her weakest subject so the schooling is working out good for them getting high test scores of 100% in some tests. This has helped them a lot getting such good grades in the first couple of weeks, The youngest has even got a French tutor after school to help her catch up as she is one and a half years behind the French. This is at no cost to us as it’s done by the High School kids after school to gain time towards their 40 hours community work that they must complete before they can graduate.
On the whole they seem to have adjusted quite well with the transaction of the move to Canada.

We just moved into our Town house on the 1st of March and are settling down nicely, it’s great to finally be settled if only for a year as we are renting for the first year here so that we can get work sorted and get to know the areas, as if hubby got a job to far out we could move and buy there. The house is one year old this week, as I have the builders in today fixing all the movement of the house like cracks and doors not closing properly. Looks like we have to touch up the painting ourselves, the owner said that we could paint any colour but I think we just will touch up and save a lot of work.

The weather every one keeps asking us about “don’t you just hate this cold” but our answer is we LOVE IT, Its might be cold but its very dry and the suns just shines every day when its not snowing, you look out your window in the morning and think it’s a bright hot sunny day until you walk out the door and freeze your (nuts) off as Hubby puts it. When it snows it doesn’t snow that much may be 6 to 12 inches then stops, you come along and move it into an even bigger pile on the front lawn or the side walk, where it now sits for the next couple of months as it never goes above 0 degrees. -20 is not that bad as long as you wrap up well, but with adding the wind chill factor it can be very cold, but for the most part people just don’t walk out in it unless your like me and have to walk the kids to school as hubby needs the RV.

Well Hubby has just scored a full time job yesterday with full benefit (meaning cost of medical care, dentist ECT) so that is an us settled, House, car (RV) and now the full time job. It is a company that works with radios under ground and will ask him to travel all over the world when he is up to speed with how they do things. I also applied to two jobs today, it will do me until I can do training for my examiner (driving) as the next courses are not till November this year, Oh well it will give me time to drive in this country and learn the rules a bit better, I always knew my skills did not transfer over here.

Two hours after writing this (for family) I have now received a phone call telling me that I have a full time position , With benefits in the local area.

So the Canadian dream can come true for some , Hubby only started to look for work 2 weeks ago and his first resume hit on the right desk and got him an interview that turned into full time employment, My first resume also turned into full time employment.

So life is good here in CANADA.. good luck too all that follow
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:54 am
Just Joined

4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future

Everything sounds fantastic - glad you have done all the hard stuff and can now concentrate on settling in and enjoying your new life!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Wow, congrats on everything and thank very much for the really good informative posts.

Good luck for the coming weeks as you both settle in to your new jobs, and i hope you all really enjoy your new lives.

Keep us updated
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Wow sounds brill, very exciting times and you have made the right move. Are they looking for apprentice plumbers?

Good idea about renting for 12 months, so you can get to know area's.

Big well done to your kids, must have been very strange for them at first

Really enjoying reading you posts, I think we will have to go back to the start, see if we can get any tips on the whole process.

Well done, good luck and enjoy
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

What an encouraging post!

Look forward to hearing all your news, and good luck!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:53 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hey bud, great to hear you've done good. We are all booked for flying out end of April Not sold house yet but 4 years is long enough to sit here waiting and rotting All the best

Sans X
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:11 pm
Ontario

Thanks all for you kind words, life just seems very good at this time, girls night out tonight with a few on this site, a baby shower tomorrow, and my new job on Monday

SANS: Best of luck in the sale of your house, Yes 4 years is a long long time to wait to move on in your life, we can now stop saying to the kids "NO you can`t get that as it wont work in Canada". Though it is now costing us a fortune. Just pm me if you need any info bud when you land..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.