Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sustainable living in Nova Scotia,advice please.

Sustainable living in Nova Scotia,advice please.

Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sustainable living in Nova Scotia,advice please.

There used to be someone else that posted here who had a sustainable living type blog and an internet following of sorts....I just cant remember who it was...:curse:
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
How have you been able to stay a year with visitor status?
Illegally?

The 6 month thing is a very grey area...technically you can leave for an hour and come back and in all likelyhood be granted another 6 months, its all at the Immigratio officers descression... I get the impression its not well defined in the regs and as long as you dont look like a potential drain on resources its easier to give you another 6 months... School age kids probably complicates this simple life enormously.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There used to be someone else that posted here who had a sustainable living type blog and an internet following of sorts....I just cant remember who it was...:curse:
That blog seems to be more around 'how to break your unlikely-vehicle-for-a-country-dweller VW beetle convertable in the most entertaining fashion' of late.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That blog seems to be more around 'how to break your unlikely-vehicle-for-a-country-dweller VW beetle convertable in the most entertaining fashion' of late.
No, not dbds, it was a real NS off the grid (well, not quite) type thing. I dont recall them posting recently...maybe they didnt survive the winter...
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No, not dbds, it was a real NS off the grid (well, not quite) type thing. I dont recall them posting recently...maybe they didnt survive the winter...
That's the one I mentioned in the "excrement" thread header. She moved to a smaller place, presumably as the money ran out, and then disappeared. Same with the heritage sheep guy.

Here are a couple of potentially useful links for people considering setting up with 40 acres and a mule:

http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 13th 2009 at 6:05 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's the one I mentioned in the "excrement" thread header. She moved to a smaller place, presumably as the money ran out, and then disappeared.
Yup, I think so...cant remember the name though now for the life of me....
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
How have you been able to stay a year with visitor status?

easy peasey in fact ive got 18 months just applied to extend husbands for a second year aswell

i did send plenty of evidence re proof of funds 3 times the landing funds requirement minimum plus fully comprehensive med insurance and property ownership

did a very comprehensive application and rambled on forever how we are not and never would be burden to canada blah blah I beleive so long as you convince them you wont be a drain and have plenty of funds to negate the need to work illegally all will be ok

I have done extension applications for two other familes and both were successful for a full year
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Illegally?

The 6 month thing is a very grey area...technically you can leave for an hour and come back and in all likelyhood be granted another 6 months, its all at the Immigratio officers descression... I get the impression its not well defined in the regs and as long as you dont look like a potential drain on resources its easier to give you another 6 months... School age kids probably complicates this simple life enormously.

Im here quite legally just about into my second year as a visitor got extension no bother
I asked for a year and got a year
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

markw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant future

Wow talk about getting jumped on and getting a virtual kicking poor poster maybe she wont come back.
OK ill dare to risk a drubbing by exclaiming that in some way we (family of 4)live the lifestyle you describe and have been in NS for 2 years +. Whilst complete self sufficiency is difficult, Leading a more self sufficient lifestyle is very achievable on the income you describe. I disagree with Christine moopa and others that it cant be achieved in Nova Scotia and i base my view on fact rather than opinion.
We manage to produce all our own meat. We keep pigs/cows/chickens/sheep and home slaughter. Grow veggies which can be kept in a root cellar . I hand milk a cow daily which produces enough milk for butter,cheese and yoghurt making we also play with various country pursuits such as wine making/cider making/maple sugaring etc.

So yep no problem many a homesteader has existed in canada and as a lifestyle it is still very much in evidence in rural Nova Scotia. Good luck to ya.
Mark
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markw97
Wow talk about getting jumped on and getting a virtual kicking poor poster maybe she wont come back.
Nobody 'jumped on' the OP in the slightest?? I think you've misread the replies. There was a bit of gentle 'piss taking' (in the British tradition!) of another member, but not the OP.

I disagree with Christine moopa and others that it cant be achieved in Nova Scotia and i base my view on fact rather than opinion.
Firstly, it's not 'Christine' - you've misread that too. And secondly, nobody said it couldn't be achieved? If you'll re-read my reply (seeing as you've singled me out), you'll see I said "I don't know if that would happen" in reference to the self sufficiency idea.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 13th 2009 at 8:59 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

From shows like "Pioneer Quest" etc vegies were either pickled or put in the cold cellar for storage, so although there would not be a fresh harvest, at least there was a solution to the problem in the years before refridgeration and imported stuff...

FWIW I didnt see anyone jumped on either...
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

markw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant future

K Jumped on maybe incorrect however there was a lot of negative language around in reply to a first ever poster, just trying to give the poster a little encouragement. Well done Chumley!!!
and Christmas....you did actually say "you'd have no choice but to buy veg then!"
I equate this to you will have to buy veg/cant grow it.
Which of course is not true as with a combination of drying, canning, root cellaring and running a winter greenhouse veg can be available all year round.

Anyway if poster wants anymore info let me know.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

All I saw was a dose of realism about the relative cost of living and the nature of the immigration laws here...
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

K Jumped on maybe incorrect however there was a lot of negative language around in reply to a first ever poster, just trying to give the poster a little encouragement. Well done Chumley!!!
and Christmas....you did actually say "you'd have no choice but to buy veg then!"
I equate this to you will have to buy veg/cant grow it.
Which of course is not true as with a combination of drying, canning, root cellaring and running a winter greenhouse veg can be available all year round.

Anyway if poster wants anymore info let me know.
thanks mark

yes its always so interesting how folk who have not done it don't live it and some who are even still living in the uk
seem to put the carbosh on other folks dreams ideas and requests for info from those who have exerience and have gone though what they are proposing to do

all part of the rich tapestry that is BE
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We manage to produce all our own meat. We keep pigs/cows/chickens/sheep and home slaughter.
Is that lawful in NS? I don't think you can home slaughter in Ontario even if it's for your own consumption, it's certainly not legal to sell home slaughtered meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.