Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Survivors pension denied

Survivors pension denied

Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Lesley7uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Survivors pension denied

i am in the process of fighting the Canadian governments decision on denying me the survivors Canada pension
my husband passed away from terminal cancer and had contributed to CPP, so this year 2018 put in the application.
yesterday I was sent a response saying that 10 yrs contributions have to be made and he made 8yrs. The last year of his life( he was diagnosed with terminal cancer) he was too sick to work and we seemed help but was not given any and then the palliative care put me onto AISH. The reason the Canadian benefits could not help was because of same reason I am being denied the survivors pension.
My husband contributed what he did and feel because he got terminal cancer and could not contribute to the rest of his working years had he survived that everything he has paid in doesn’t count for anything. I also was under the understanding that permanent residents were able to combine their contributions from the country of birth to qualify.

I am hoping there is someone out there that can give me some information that will help me get what I feel I should be entitled to. This isn’t just about me qualifying for my husbands pension, it’s about what I feel my husband worked at for us both to benefit with during our retirement years. I feel this is so unfair when we hear repeatedly how many refugees qualify to so much as soon as they arrive in our country.
All I am asking for is what I feel I am entitled to and what my husband worked for

Last edited by Lesley7uk; Sep 20th 2018 at 3:53 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 4:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survivors pension denied

Look at example 2
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...igibility.html

For 8 years of contributions, don't expect to get much.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 20th 2018 at 4:30 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley7uk
My husband contributed what he did and feel because he got terminal cancer and could not contribute to the rest of his working years had he survived that everything he has paid in doesn’t count for anything. I also was under the understanding that permanent residents were able to combine their contributions from the country of birth to qualify.
Sorry for your problems.
The example Aviator references does back up the idea of combining in some way his previous contributions with those in Canada but I don't believe it's every country. That example is Ireland and I believe the UK-Canada arrangement is more limited, but I don't know what practical difference this makes. I did read that it applies to contributions, which makes it sound like CPP conditions might be met. But presumably there were questions about possible prior contributions on the application form? There were on application forms I completed.

Did you apply for the death payment? My wife (Canadian) died 3 years ago and I always knew she hadn't paid enough CPP in her time - also (partly) due to illness - but effectively what she had paid came back as the Death Benefit. It seemed a reasonable compromise; make a refund of contributions if they were 'worthless' for CPP if you see what I mean.

I think you should make contact with the Canadian Alliance of British Pensioners. They are primarily concerned with British Pensions but I'm certain they will know about situations exactly like yours. At the very least they could probably point you to someone who could help.

You referred to 8 years of CPP and a year of not being able to make contributions. With any time in Canada prior to that 8 years beginning this must make you very close - if not there already - to having lived in Canada for 10 years. That makes Old Age Security a possibility for you under normal rules at 65 and Survivor rules from age 60. I get the latter based on my time in Canada.
Just thought I'd mention OAS in case you were unaware of it, especially the different rules for age 60-64.
I feel this is so unfair when we hear repeatedly how many refugees qualify to so much as soon as they arrive in our country.
Don't believe what you 'hear' about refugees qualifying for so much. Most of it based on falsehoods and misunderstandings.

Old Sep 20th 2018, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Lesley7uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
tjankyou so much for your response and sharing your experiences.

yes I applied for the death benefit but I was told by Canada pensions that I did not qualify because of the contribution short fall again. I got in touch with the UK and they helped with funeral costs( I can’t temember what they call it but it has some kind of title)
i will try contacting who you recommended and hopefully they can help or at least point me in the right direction.
thanks again
Lesley