Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Surrey, BC to set record on number of murders in 2013

Wikiposts

Surrey, BC to set record on number of murders in 2013

Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:30 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Surrey, BC to set record on number of murders in 2013

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Sur...055/story.html

Surrey’s record 2013 murder rate comes in part from gangsters and organized crime groups setting up shop in the booming city, RCMP Chief Supt. Bill Fordy said Wednesday.

Fordy said the majority of the 21 murders so far in Surrey this year are linked to gangs and traffickers vying for control of the local drug trade.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Sur...#ixzz2kdO7J5yI
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrey, BC to set record on number of murders in 2013

Pah! I bet the Mayor didn't murder anybody.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:33 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Horrible place IMO. I had to go to the University there Saturday mornings for awhile. The skytrain ride reminded me of all the worst of the UK.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

An English travel writer has been spending her time in Vancouver recently, and listed Surrey in one of her "top stylish places to visit" list, which is astonishing. I love how she introduced Surrey:

"As a Brit in British Columbia I soon realise that BC’s Surrey, is not to Vancouver what Surrey, England is to London. Rather, this satellite city around a 30 minute skytrain ride from downtown seems to be as under-appreciated as Essex (and the butt of a few similar jokes), while being as racially diverse as inner city London – and it has more to offer than meets the eye."

http://www.savoirthere.com/11097/5-p...-in-vancouver/
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:38 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
An English travel writer has been spending her time in Vancouver recently, and listed Surrey in one of her "top stylish places to visit" list, which is astonishing. I love how she introduced Surrey:

"As a Brit in British Columbia I soon realise that BC’s Surrey, is not to Vancouver what Surrey, England is to London. Rather, this satellite city around a 30 minute skytrain ride from downtown seems to be as under-appreciated as Essex (and the butt of a few similar jokes), while being as racially diverse as inner city London – and it has more to offer than meets the eye."

Looked at the article. The accompanying photo from the "world class" Surrey art gallery is a several meters long print of coloured pencils. Ok. Thumbtacked onto the gallery wall. World class? The only thing Surrey BC is world class in is gangsters.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Drug dealers killing other drug dealers for killing other drug dealers.

Darwinism at its best.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:05 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

However, in a recent Surrey incident a man was shot dead in his driveway as he was about to go to work. It was thought to be targeted. He was not a drug dealer and had no previous run-ins with the law.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I often frequent Surrey to go wheel and deal in the back allys to buy used car parts. Thankfully I've not been murdered yet If you want cheap car bits and part worn tires etc etc its the place to go. Maybe it because i'm from the North East but I don't think surrey is that bad, I actually though some parts were very nice

Last edited by tee1; Nov 14th 2013 at 7:51 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Just adjusting your quote a little...

Originally Posted by jandro
However, in a recent Surrey incident a man was shot dead in his driveway as he was about to go to work. It was thought to be targeted. He hadn't previously been caught doing whatever he was shot for doing...
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Surrey regularly since arriving in BC. To look at the area, it seems like people are very well off (the housing seems especially nice). But then you see some of the people and they don't look half shady. Makes you wonder where the money came from?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

There are some nice areas of Surrey to live... If you have a spare million or two.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:20 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
There are some nice areas of Surrey to live... If you have a spare million or two.
Yes, of course, there are some very nice parts too. It's a big area.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

Although the loss of any life is regrettable, in context of many other cities in the world, is 21 per year really that high? The article does go on to admit that it's a "spike" in an incredibly low homicide rate...

"Murders in the Johannesburg municipality amounted to 1,697 in 2007 according to the South African Medical Research Council, a rate of 1 per 2326 inhabitants"
which would work out to around 200 murders per year based on the Surrey population.

I believe every area has it's ups and downs, mixes of "good" and "Bad" areas on each other's door steps. You may find the rate is down next year as one of the other posters mentioned it seems to be mainly gang on gang crime.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 11:07 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here for over a decade and Surrey's crime rate is well known.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 11:15 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee

Stylish? Blimey.

I was in Ballard all last weekend. Now that's stylish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.