Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Supporting a child back home

Supporting a child back home

Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting a child back home

Originally Posted by DandNHill
22???? In the UK even with further education I'm sure the upper limit is 19! What if you get one of these kids that studies until he's 30 because he keeps changing careers? That's taking the p***!!!!
"and I'll still be less than 30" my daughter gushed at Christmas, speaking of this year's graduation. She thinks it usual to be in school in one's late twenties because it's common here. I wonder if the need for two degrees to do any job in Canada will eventually result in a decline in population, women leaving school educated for a career will then have to choose between starting on it or having a child before being too old.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There was an extended wrangle over income, assets and so on, the fees for that argument became a financial black hole. In the end we settled, still two years from a court date, by my turning over all visible assets and agreeing to pay a third of my then income in spousal support so long as my ex lives. I knew then that I should have settled the matter of what happens if I die first and my estate cannot maintain the payments as agreed but, shit, after three years and a hundred grand in fees; I'd had enough.
That sounds a little skewed!

The advice was clear and that wasn't the only lawyer who represented me who cautioned that a settlement should be viewed as temporary, I should be aware that a material change in my circumstances might trigger a new round of litigation. I was left wondering how former spouses know enough about each other's lives to be able to usefully trigger a renegotiation. I didn't ask for fear that the explanation would drag on for an hour and another day's pay.
Most Orders will have a provision written into them that the parties are to disclose certain financial information each year (tax returns, accounts, etc.), in Alberta it is by June 30 of each year, so that a recalculation can be done which takes effect, supposedly, on July 1 of each year. If the parties are friendly, this never happens, if they aren't, this causes new litigation each year.

Fortunately the ex left the country greatly reducing that risk and doing so in a manner less drastic than using the "two guys from Detroit" suggested by a lawyer I had earlier asked to represent me. He declined the opportunity one the grounds that a) I couldn't afford him and b) I was going to get ****ed in court. "Men", he said "always do".
I wonder if they teach that on the Bar Course in Ontario
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

22???? In the UK even with further education I'm sure the upper limit is 19! What if you get one of these kids that studies until he's 30 because he keeps changing careers? That's taking the p***!!!!
That's my understanding of the UK law too. The obligation to pay support only extends to 6th form college education up to the age of 19 not University education.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, this was a point of contention after I stopped paying for my son when he went to University. My Ex tried to claim I should continue paying until he was 19 - Despite the fact he wasn't even living at home anymore. After a curt response of 'go away' & educating her with the legal facts, the subject wasn't raised again

I'm not too up on Canadian Family law but "Souvvy" sounds as though he/she is being taken for a ride. My ex tried to have a clause written into our agreement regarding the sale of the house & the kids finishing all education. I was strongly advised not to agree to this for the reasons mentioned - You could have an offspring whose an eternal student.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Oh the absent parent should want to be a part of the kids life as much as possible, in my opinion. Not just financially. And yes they should contribute to the well being and future of the kid as much as possible.

If a person is married again, surely the new spouse takes on family obligations whether they're their children or not? I doubt very much that a decent step parent will refuse to contribute financially to the step kids lives. My comment on this scenario is that i think an option should be available (after means testing) where the absent parent can choose to pay into a higher education fund, or account that isn't accessible until the child reaches a certain age. Maybe this exists?
No. Child support is child support. If it is possible from a financial perspective, the Court may Order payment into a RESP but this very much depends upon the circumstances. What usually happens is that the non payor will argue that this was always the intention of the parties, whereas the payor will argue that "I made my way in life, the child can do likewise, this was always our intention."

It must be terrible for the absent parent to have to support two families (ish) while the custodian has to support half a family (ish). That would put the children in one family at a huge disadvantage Especially if the latter decided to move the children to another country and more so if they still demanded payment to keep the kids in hockey skates and cheese.
This is, IMVHO, why access is always such an issue. The parties will always state that it is about the children, in my experience, in the vast majority of such cases, it is about money. Under the Guidelines, if one party spends less than 40% of the time with the child, base child support is payable by them to the other irrespective of the income of the other. So, for example, a mother, with whom the child resides, earns $200,000 a year. The father, with whom the child spends every other weekend, earns $30,000. The father will pay base child support to the mother based purely on his income. The mother may have paid for her property outright with the result that there will be no mortgage.

If the parties spend at least 40% of the time with the child, one would work out how much child support the mother would pay to the father if the child was with the father 100% of the time. One would then perform the reverse for the father, deduct the lower figure from the larger and this is how much the mother would have to pay to the father.

Quite clearly, in the above scenario, it pays for the father to argue for more time with the child and the mother to argue for less time with the father.

The Divorce Act specifically states that, when making access Orders, the Court should grant both parents the maximum amount of time with the child as is consistent with the best interests of the child. Seems quite simple on the basis of the legislation: unless there is a good reason why one shouldn't, give equal time to both parties. In reality, as soon as a father attempts to argue for time even approaching 40%, the Judge will look down upon the lawyer and will ask if the only reason this is being sought is to reduce child support. This happens so often you wouldn't believe it, even when both parents work full time, the child is in day care full time, and the parties live close to one another (negating any argument that a week on week off parenting schedule wouldn't work due to logistics). Sad, but true.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 12th 2012 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In most cases, the upper limit in Canada is 22. However, once the child reaches 18, the Court will take into account the child's ability to contribute towards its own expenses when deciding how much child support must be paid. If the child lives on campus, the child support can be paid directly to the child. Quite clearly, it pays for the recipient parent to persuade the child to continue to live with them
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Most Orders will have a provision written into them that the parties are to disclose certain financial information each year (tax returns, accounts, etc.), in Alberta it is by June 30 of each year, so that a recalculation can be done which takes effect, supposedly, on July 1 of each year. If the parties are friendly, this never happens, if they aren't, this causes new litigation each year.

I cannot tell you how glad I am not to have to go through that every year. I am 50% owner of a corporation. The owner of the other 50% would fight the disclosure every year on the grounds that, a) my ex has no legitimate interest in knowing and b) the contracts with the clients forbide the disclosure of such information. Given that such litigation takes years to come to court we'd still be squabbling over whether or not to hand over the data from five and four and three years ago.

I wonder if they teach that on the Bar Course in Ontario
Probably not on the bar course but it does seem to be the accepted wisdom. It was very difficult to find a lawyer who would pursue the divorce. All advised that men should not divorce in Ontario. Somewhat ironically, in the mid 80s I was represented over the initial separation by a prominent feminist, now a judge, who's been a driving force in shifting the legal climate to one in which women are seen less as partners and more as dependents.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I cannot tell you how glad I am not to have to go through that every year. I am 50% owner of a corporation. The owner of the other 50% would fight the disclosure every year on the grounds that, a) my ex has no legitimate interest in knowing and b) the contracts with the clients forbide the disclosure of such information. Given that such litigation takes years to come to court we'd still be squabbling over whether or not to hand over the data from five and four and three years ago.
It happens. As I am sure you are aware, the types of accounts we are talking about are, for the most part, the accounts that corporation would have to file with CRA each year, I appreciate that actual accounts may not have to be provided to CRA each year, but the accounts that would support the corporate tax returns filed if requested by CRA.

Probably not on the bar course but it does seem to be the accepted wisdom. It was very difficult to find a lawyer who would pursue the divorce. All advised that men should not divorce in Ontario. Somewhat ironically, in the mid 80s I was represented over the initial separation by a prominent feminist, now a judge, who's been a driving force in shifting the legal climate to one in which women are seen less as partners and more as dependents.
There are a number of females judges in Calgary that don't like awarding spousal support to women and, if a client draws them, one gets a sinking feeling. They seem to hold a view that, they were able to secure a well paid position, therefore, all women should be able to. It is very funny when men appear before them seeking spousal support. I am sure you can imagine how long those hearings last.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 12th 2012 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It happens. As I am sure you are aware, the types of accounts we are talking about are, for the most part, the accounts that corporation would have to file with CRA each year (I appreciate that actual accounts may not have to be provided to CRA each year, but the accounts that would support the corporate tax returns filed if requested by CRA.
Indeed. But the court is not the CRA and an obligation to file with one does not create a willingness to disclose to the other.

There are a number of females judges in Calgary that don't like awarding spousal support to women and, if a client draws them, one gets a sinking feeling. They seem to hold a view that, they were able to secure a well paid position, therefore, all women should be able to. It is very funny when men appear before them seeking spousal support. I am sure you can imagine how long those hearings last.
Well, I have some sympathy for the view that a woman chooses career vs. children and a choice for the latter damages the prospects for the former. Whether or not having children necessarily reduces a woman to unemployability is another matter.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the absent parent should want to be a part of the kids life as much as possible, in my opinion. Not just financially. And yes they should contribute to the well being and future of the kid as much as possible.

If a person is married again, surely the new spouse takes on family obligations whether they're their children or not? I doubt very much that a decent step parent will refuse to contribute financially to the step kids lives. My comment on this scenario is that i think an option should be available (after means testing) where the absent parent can choose to pay into a higher education fund, or account that isn't accessible until the child reaches a certain age. Maybe this exists?

It must be terrible for the absent parent to have to support two families (ish) while the custodian has to support half a family (ish). That would put the children in one family at a huge disadvantage Especially if the latter decided to move the children to another country and more so if they still demanded payment to keep the kids in hockey skates and cheese.

But like i said, i don't have experience or knowledge so just commenting out of curiosity and guess work. Obviously each situation can be very different.
I would have been quite happy for my ex to pay into any kind of fund for my kid, general savings, higher education, anything, as it was he just skipped all that and entered A**hole category.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by castra
That's my understanding of the UK law too. The obligation to pay support only extends to 6th form college education up to the age of 19 not University education.
Jees, my husband has an agreement with his ex that he would pay for his children up until they finish full time education. It's not through the CSA, although it would've been cheaper going through them. One of his children at the age of 21 has now finished uni so he stopped the payment for this child (amazingly his ex threw a wobbler as she didn't expect him to cut it by so much, it's two children so he cut it in half, what else did she expect?!). The other child is 19, will be at uni until 2015! And will be 23 when they leave uni! Even though they had this agreement between them, surely we could contest this if there is a law in the uk that says you have to pay support up to 19?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Same here.

One question i do have though out of curiosity since i've no experience or knowledge in this:
  • If the custodian of the child/children marries again, is the ex still obliged to pay child support?

In Canada they are, as they are his/her children and as long as they remain "a child of the marriage"
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BC-Roo
Jees, my husband has an agreement with his ex that he would pay for his children up until they finish full time education. It's not through the CSA, although it would've been cheaper going through them. One of his children at the age of 21 has now finished uni so he stopped the payment for this child (amazingly his ex threw a wobbler as she didn't expect him to cut it by so much, it's two children so he cut it in half, what else did she expect?!). The other child is 19, will be at uni until 2015! And will be 23 when they leave uni! Even though they had this agreement between them, surely we could contest this if there is a law in the uk that says you have to pay support up to 19?
Probably but then the reverse is that it's not 50% per child.

It is 25% of take home income, after pension contributions, 20% for 2 and 15% for one.. Don't know how that works for you? But yes, up to the age of 19.