Reload this Page >

IT Support Technician - Job hunting in Toronto

Wikiposts

IT Support Technician - Job hunting in Toronto

Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:07 am
Just Joined

embracetheworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Support Technician - Job hunting in Toronto

My husband landed in Toronto a few days ago and will be getting his social insurance card tomorrow.
What's the best way to look for work in the IT field? Newspapers? Staffing agencies? Online?

Just a quick summary of his skills:

Troubleshooting hardware and software problems.
Installing/configuring new computers/laptops.
Repairing/Upgrading hardware and software.
Troubleshoot and support hardware peripherals: network printers, scanners, copiers etc.
Configuring, installing and troubleshooting LAN/WAN Networks.
TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, HTTP, DSL, SNMP etc.

Does anyone know of any companies that might be hiring? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:10 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Support Technician - Job hunting in Toronto

I would also be grateful for this information if anybody has it.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:45 am
Just Joined

He is looking for something in the GTA or downtown. Pickering would be a bonus, as that is where he is lodging now. Thank you
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:01 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

www.linkedin.com - add as many people as you can from previous jobs in the UK, or acquaintances elsewhere. Then search for people in the GTA that you might be able to get an angle with via one of the contacts you previously added.

If that fails then use the normal job sites. www.monster.com, www.workopolis.ca etc - but for this kind of role I'd expect there will be stiff competition...
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:58 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I've never really looked into Linkedin, although I have been told to by a few agents before today, how does adding people from your former roles in the UK help with finding work in Canada though? or is that just something which you learn about Linkedin along the way?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

I'm working on his resume right now. He knows someone who might be able to help him and they want his resume today.
Would really appreciate it if someone in the IT field could have a quick look at it. Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I could for you but I'm not sure if they use a generally different formula over in Canada, it might be something that I need to look at for myself at some point actually.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by embracetheworld
I'm working on his resume right now. He knows someone who might be able to help him and they want his resume today.
Would really appreciate it if someone in the IT field could have a quick look at it. Thanks
Send it to i2c, she knows people who knows people.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:25 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I've never really looked into Linkedin, although I have been told to by a few agents before today, how does adding people from your former roles in the UK help with finding work in Canada though? or is that just something which you learn about Linkedin along the way?
Once you have a network of people, when you find someone interesting i.e. Someone in Toronto, it will tell you how you are related to them in terms of connections - might help with getting that foot wedged in the door....
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I could for you but I'm not sure if they use a generally different formula over in Canada, it might be something that I need to look at for myself at some point actually.
Thank you so much, I will send you a pm when I have finished tweaking his resume.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

I'll have a look into that then thanks.

Even if it doesn't help me in Canada then it could be useful elsewhere I suppose.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Send it to i2c, she knows people who knows people.
Thank you so much dbd, I will search for that user and contact her.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:28 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by embracetheworld
Thank you so much, I will send you a pm when I have finished tweaking his resume.
No worries, as I've said though the job market over there is very different to the UK one and I'm not sure if Canadian employers expect the same sort of protocols so to speak, there's a very big chance that they don't.

In many ways, IT CV's are a bit of an art unto themselves anyway from my experience, some employers and agents want pages and pages of in depth information on what you've done and others will insist on a maximum of two pages.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 11th 2010 at 2:31 am.