Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Summer work experience in Canada, advice?

Wikiposts

Summer work experience in Canada, advice?

Old May 6th 2010, 9:49 am
Just Joined

expatwannabie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer work experience in Canada, advice?

Hi all,

I hope this isn't a long shot, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to getting myself over Canada.

Basically I'm half canadian, and I've just finished my second year of an IT/Business degree here in London UK. I'd quite like to get some sort of work experience or job this summer in Canada so I can get a feel for the place. I'm convinced there are better opportunities in Canada than the UK, especially in terms of quality of life which is number 1 for me.

I wonder if anyone can recommend places to go and the general job opportunities and work experience to expect? I hear good things about vancover but I really don't know where to start with Canada being such a big place. I really don't mind where I go, with my exception being Toronto. I have been there a few times with family and the place it isn't that great I dont think.

Why do I want to leave the UK? I could go on and on, but to sum it up the UK has pretty much zero career prospects. It has way too many people crammed on this little Island, and the population is actually INCREASING, probably thanks to baby benefits for teens!!

Then there is the horrendous cost of living. Since the economic collapse, the UK has nothing to offer except massive debt everywhere. Manufacturering sector gone, corrupt bankers everywhere and a molten financial system. No real opportunty anylonger just a haven for lots and lots of teenage mums and sponges on doll to support all my working life!! I would miss the UK though, parts of the UK are fantastic with amazing scenery.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by expatwannabie; May 6th 2010 at 9:54 am.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer work experience in Canada, advice?

Originally Posted by expatwannabie
Hi all,

I hope this isn't a long shot, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to getting myself over Canada.

Basically I'm half canadian, and I've just finished my second year of an IT/Business degree here in London UK. I'd quite like to get some sort of work experience or job this summer in Canada so I can get a feel for the place. I'm convinced there are better opportunities in Canada than the UK, especially in terms of quality of life which is number 1 for me.

I wonder if anyone can recommend places to go and the general job opportunities and work experience to expect? I hear good things about vancover but I really don't know where to start with Canada being such a big place. I really don't mind where I go, with my exception being Toronto. I have been there a few times with family and the place it isn't that great I dont think.

Why do I want to leave the UK? I could go on and on, but to sum it up the UK has pretty much zero career prospects. It has way too many people crammed on this little Island, and the population is actually INCREASING, probably thanks to baby benefits for teens!!

Then there is the horrendous cost of living. Since the economic collapse, the UK has nothing to offer except massive debt everywhere. Manufacturering sector gone, corrupt bankers everywhere and a molten financial system. No real opportunty anylonger just a haven for lots and lots of teenage mums and sponges on doll to support all my working life!! I would miss the UK though, parts of the UK are fantastic with amazing scenery.

Thoughts? Thanks!
If you are Canadian (you post doesn't make this particularly clear) get yourself over and get working. If you are not Canadian, I suggest you look at BUNAC.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:00 am
Just Joined

expatwannabie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you are Canadian (you post doesn't make this particularly clear) get yourself over and get working. If you are not Canadian, I suggest you look at BUNAC.
Yes. Just to clarify, I have yet to apply for formal citizenship and a passport however I am entitled to this due to having a Canadian parent.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:00 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by expatwannabie
Yes. Just to clarify, I have yet to apply for formal citizenship and a passport however I am entitled to this due to having a Canadian parent.
Since you don't have proof of citizenship, and it takes 13-14 months to receive, you may difficulty working in Canada this summer, as you require a SIN to work and unless you have proof, Service Canada won't issue one.