Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for BC areas to look at

Suggestions for BC areas to look at

Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:02 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suggestions for BC areas to look at

Victoria may be known for its retiree population, but it's received an increasing number of middle-class housing refugees from Vancouver of all ages. Even the start-up scene run by people in their 20s is growing quickly in Victoria (as it is Kelowna).

Vancouver is on its way to becoming a resort city for Chinese zillionaires. I wouldn't waste your money there.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 5:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

When selecting somewhere to live it is always useful to listen to the informed opinions of locals.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Biased but I also think the Okanagan fits most of your needs but it is a bit conservative. Prices here are also rising especially in Kelowna but plenty of cheaper areas.
I wouldn't dismiss Victoria- its a great small city. Our son, age 22, has lived there 4 years- he loves it. Prices rising rapidly though.
If it floats your boat- Saanich ( outskirts of Victoria) has the only Green MP in Canada so they must be pretty "liberal" I would think. That is where lots of students live though and the riding covers the Gulf islands which have a bit of a "hippy" vibe.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beckie and Morgan UK
Kelowna is further but well worth it in my opinion! Come visit on your recce trip.

GL
We would agree with this. We've been here for three years now and it was the best move we ever made.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Fomerly of Leicester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Parksville can be considered a bit retiree....We're about 40 minutes north of Victoria in rural/semi rural setting. We can be in the capital for shopping without too much hassle, but the beach is at the end of our road. Mt Washington and skiing is probably 3 or 4 hours drive. Just for perspective, our school has just increased headcount this week by 15%. By no means just old people on the Island. It's certainly a retirement honey spot as the climate is so nice (imagine Devon, Dorset). Yet we have mountains, lakes, beaches. The downside is the necessity of a ferry or plane to get to the mainland. But for us, the need to travel to the mainland is not frequent. We could go over every weekend if we wished, but see no real advantage from doing so.
Thanks. I think we need to put Victoria back on the list as a possibility, think we dismissed it too quickly.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Fomerly of Leicester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
We would agree with this. We've been here for three years now and it was the best move we ever made.
Thanks, a few people have mentioned it. We'll take a look.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:17 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fomerly of Leicester
Thanks. I think we need to put Victoria back on the list as a possibility, think we dismissed it too quickly.
Think of Vancouver Island as a little country. We have the capital of the province. We have probably the best climate in Canada. Yes it rains in the winter, but I think I'm right in saying Victoria has half the rain of Vancouver (not sure if that's accurate). We don't get very much snow on the southern half of the Island. We're a bit isolated from the rest of the world, but then, working with Americans in a US company, I think that's true of much of Canada. It's a bit hippy if you let it be. Personally, I have my feet planted firmly in the 21st Century - no rope soled sandals for me!

Think of PEI but with less snow and more jobs.