Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sufficient funds on first landing

Sufficient funds on first landing

Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

leep321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sufficient funds on first landing

Hi - my first post. I will be arriving in Vancouver at end of month as first arrival from UK on an immigrant (skilled worker) visa to apply for PR . This is an initial recce as the family will not move out finally till next year. According to CIC you need to have available funds of about $16k CDN (family of 3). Anyone know if it is OK to have a UK bank statement showing sufficient funds available for transfer or do you have to turn up with a pocketful of travelers cheques etc? Has anyone been processed through Vancouver recently? Any tips?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:06 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sufficient funds on first landing

Originally Posted by leep321
Hi - my first post. I will be arriving in Vancouver at end of month as first arrival from UK on an immigrant (skilled worker) visa to apply for PR . This is an initial recce as the family will not move out finally till next year. According to CIC you need to have available funds of about $16k CDN (family of 3). Anyone know if it is OK to have a UK bank statement showing sufficient funds available for transfer or do you have to turn up with a pocketful of travelers cheques etc? Has anyone been processed through Vancouver recently? Any tips?
Hi - do you mean you are going to Vancouver to activate your Work Permit, or you are just visiting?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

A printout is enough. It's unlikely they will even ask for it, but take one anyway.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

oktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant future

when i immigrated in 2001 - landing in toronto (single , skilled category), i carried the equivalent of 10k cad , but on arrival no one bothered to check if i had the funds or a statement to show - unless the procedures have changed now
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:33 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

An oversized 'charity style' cheque is a good idea - clear proof of funds, and less likely to mislay it in your luggage
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Hi - do you mean you are going to Vancouver to activate your Work Permit, or you are just visiting?
Just an initial trip at first to activate PR status. Sorry about your week but you do live in a lovely part of Canada. We had a holiday to NS a few years ago.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan2005
A printout is enough. It's unlikely they will even ask for it, but take one anyway.
Thanks Alan, LeeP
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
An oversized 'charity style' cheque is a good idea - clear proof of funds, and less likely to mislay it in your luggage
I wish I had enough to fill a a large charity style check! Thanks for the thought though. LeeP
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by oktata
when i immigrated in 2001 - landing in toronto (single , skilled category), i carried the equivalent of 10k cad , but on arrival no one bothered to check if i had the funds or a statement to show - unless the procedures have changed now
I suspected this may be the case, many thanks. LeeP
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
The best reply I have seen in ages to a post.

It is a shame that you ended it with a smiley face as 50% of the people on here would have believed you were being serious!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I suspected this may be the case, many thanks. LeeP
I don't think is right in your case - you say you don't have PR yet - so if you are coming in under a work permit you do not need proof of funds.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think is right in your case - you say you don't have PR yet - so if you are coming in under a work permit you do not need proof of funds.
I assumed the OP meant that they had the visa, but just needed to land to complete the PR process.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:33 am

I assumed the OP meant that they had the visa, but just needed to land to complete the PR process.
But OP say's "first arrival from UK on an immigrant (skilled worker) visa to apply for PR"?
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:54 am

But OP say's "first arrival from UK on an immigrant (skilled worker) visa to apply for PR"?
Isn't that normal? You have a visa and you get PR when you 'land'. Agree the OP isn't very clear, but that what's I thought they meant.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:37 am

Isn't that normal? You have a visa and you get PR when you 'land'. Agree the OP isn't very clear, but that what's I thought they meant.
You might be right. I read it that they have a work permit and will apply for PR once they get here.