Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by dbd33
My experience of the weather in Halifax NS is that approximately 5% of the time, that I've been there, the prevailing condition has been hurricane with trees hurtling horizontally. This makes Halifax statistically more hospitable to me than Galveston TX where approximately 33% of the time hurricane was the prevailing condition.

I hope this helps (at least as much as other peoples' observations of the weather).
really? You haven't been here this year then. I am one of those that loves weather so get mildly excited at the idea of a hurricane visiting, sadly there was nothing really last year and nothing so far this year.
(Unless you live in Cape Breton of course who are still flooded from Matthew )
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:25 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I reckon that when winter hits then typical days are between -5c and 0c we have had it colder, less usual though. Worst was -25c . We don't get loads of wind and windchill unless you are up on the mountains skiing is minimal. That temp was the only time it got that low. The snow falls as fluffy powder and is great to ski on and usually great to move. We had a couple of big dumps(big on our scale, not Eastern scale) of snow, one on the first day back in New Year. Chaos!
The valleys are usually main fairly clear of snow but there is usually plenty up the ski- hills. Scilly might correct me on this though
This sounds great. We considered this region and I really wish we had visited it. We are so settled here now that it would be a push to up sticks for another adventure but I would like to somedays
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
really? You haven't been here this year then. I am one of those that loves weather so get mildly excited at the idea of a hurricane visiting, sadly there was nothing really last year and nothing so far this year.
(Unless you live in Cape Breton of course who are still flooded from Matthew )
I think the hurricane that tousled my hair was called Juan, it was a big deal and demolished the trees all around the Citadel. That was a while back. I haven't been in NS for a year, at that time it was attractively autumnal, a light jacket or sweater being appropriate for the evening (if one were sober in the evening when visiting).

I like NS and would happily move there. I am markedly less keen on the parts of BC I've seen (just Vancouver and Vancouver Island). I think that's influenced by having lived semi-rurally for a while. NS, outside of Halifax, looks a lot like here but with ocean, not wild (like Newfoundland) but uncrowded. Those parts of BC look like Connecticut, very tidy and respectable, fine if you want a basketball net on your driveway but not near anywhere exciting in the way Connecticut is near NYC.

Horses for courses though, my original reason for visiting Halifax was a daughter going to school there. She's since chosen to live in Kits.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

March and April 2015 ........ total of 278 cm snow fell on Halifax. Depth of snow around 4' in many places. Snow and freezing rain, with occasional thaws most days of the 2 months.

More total snow than White Juan

Halifax City snow clearing budget went $9 million over budget, Province went approximately $17 million over its budget of $75 million

Ferries worked, many buses could not

Last comment from me.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:08 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by scilly
March and April 2015 ........ total of 278 cm snow fell on Halifax. Depth of snow around 4' in many places. Snow and freezing rain, with occasional thaws most days of the 2 months.

More total snow than White Juan

Halifax City snow clearing budget went $9 million over budget, Province went approximately $17 million over its budget of $75 million

Ferries worked, many buses could not

Last comment from me.

Yes, it was bad and it was commented on that it was worse than White Juan. My deck, like many others collapsed. But, although I know you love to be the voice of doom, that was worse than White Juan. White Juan was unusual, this, being worse, was even more so.

Yes, we get winter. Yes, we get snow. Yes, we live in Canada. I still would not stereotype all the winters here as "brutal"
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the intention for starting this thread is somewhat missed. I just want to share my positive experience for my landing trip in NS, how we decided this will be where we'll settle. I've researched weather in a lot provinces and fully prepare and will brace myself for bad ones and did mention how lucky we that we had nice ones during our stay.

I'm unsure why it turned to a comparison of weather, though it has been useful.

My intention is hopefully get to know a few friendly people settle in NS, find out good area for house hunting, work from home business and issues now facing when bringing dog over.

I hope it doesn't caused anyone too much upset!
Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanzo
My intention is hopefully get to know a few friendly people settle in NS, find out good area for house hunting, work from home business and issues now facing when bringing dog over.

I'm not friendly and not in NS but I do work from home quite a lot and suggest that, in choosing a house, you investigate the available internet options thoroughly. Generally, if you're in an urban location (say one with sewers and mains water) there will be good cable options. As soon as you get slightly rural it's another matter.

Of course, if your home based business is farm gate sales of eggs, the internet may not be important.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not friendly and not in NS but I do work from home quite a lot and suggest that, in choosing a house, you investigate the available internet options thoroughly. Generally, if you're in an urban location (say one with sewers and mains water) there will be good cable options. As soon as you get slightly rural it's another matter.

Of course, if your home based business is farm gate sales of eggs, the internet may not be important.
Thanks so much! I'll definitely bear this in mind as I can't live without fast connections!! I've an online crafty shop business so rely heavily on internet access. Although you got me thinking with farm eggs now....
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Lufthanzer fly direct from LHR to Halifax, might be worth checking them out - Transporting animals - Lufthansa ® Canada and http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...1384042428.pdf and Lufthansa Cargo : Live - from what I could see, it's $400 to fly a large pet in the cargo hold.

Old Oct 14th 2016, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Lufthanzer fly direct from LHR to Halifax, might be worth checking them out - Transporting animals - Lufthansa ® Canada and http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...1384042428.pdf and Lufthansa Cargo : Live - from what I could see, it's $400 to fly a large pet in the cargo hold.

Thanks so much! I think that's actually a codeshare flight with Air Canada so it'll be pet policy as per AC's...pet agent it has to be...
Old Oct 14th 2016, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I genuinely would say perfect- it was more cloudy last year but head up the mountains and you get your sun .
I don't mind the cold in winter, and actually prefer colder weather over the gloom and wetness although warmer temps we get here.

It's just the summers, I think you see a bit more over 30C days then we do....
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:00 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't mind the cold in winter, and actually prefer colder weather over the gloom and wetness although warmer temps we get here.

It's just the summers, I think you see a bit more over 30C days then we do....

Yes, it does get hot here in the summer, But where we are, there a beautiful breezes that blow down the Valley And the lakes cool you down nicely.It's a nice dry heat, not humid, also we get very few insects bugging you because of the lack of humidity. Aircon is more or less universal. I wouldnt classify Okanagan winters as cold- really tolerable, rarely the windchill and you can go out in the nice crisp cool air.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it does get hot here in the summer, But where we are, there a beautiful breezes that blow down the Valley And the lakes cool you down nicely.It's a nice dry heat, not humid, also we get very few insects bugging you because of the lack of humidity. Aircon is more or less universal. I wouldnt classify Okanagan winters as cold- really tolerable, rarely the windchill and you can go out in the nice crisp cool air.
I should say heat is just something I don't enjoy, I can deal with it and over time one adapts to it, both warm and cold and its not a big deal.

I used to think 50F was cold, now I don't even wear jacket at 50F as I no longer find it cold.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 11:37 am
Happy

Thread drift is typical. Someone always gets sidetracked in some detail or passionately debates some element they feel may be inaccurate. For the most part it's respectful debate. I wouldn't worry about it Hanzo
Old Oct 15th 2016, 5:53 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Thread drift is typical. Someone always gets sidetracked in some detail or passionately debates some element they feel may be inaccurate. For the most part it's respectful debate. I wouldn't worry about it Hanzo
Yes, I quite agree, I am as guilty as the next pup! I humbly apologise! We brought old Stinky over around seven years ago when he was about five. He cost us a fortune but what else can you do?

It seems that smaller is better in the dog shipping business, you can ship them a lot more cheaply than the big ones but I have to say perhaps foolishly I do have a liking for big dogs!
Snoop does too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.