Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Old Oct 14th 2016, 3:11 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Scilly, sorry, you may have lived on this earth for a little longer than the rest of us but you don't know it all- this seems to be a bit of a recurrent theme of yours. The great thing about this forum is that we have contributors who live all over the country. I really value their comments and input, as the Howefamily say , they have lived there for nigh on 6 years and I have to say they know a damn sight more about the weather, their home turf way more than you.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Stinky ............

You don't actually know how much time I have spent over there, do you?

I suppose you will say next that what my family tell me that they experience day to day in the Halifax region, and that they have experienced since 1999. is all lies?

or that I shouldn't believe the older generations of the s-i-l's family when they say what it used to be like??

OR are you accusing me of untruths?
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:51 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Stinky ............

You don't actually know how much time I have spent over there, do you?

I suppose you will say next that what my family tell me that they experience day to day in the Halifax region, and that they have experienced since 1999. is all lies?

or that I shouldn't believe the older generations of the s-i-l's family when they say what it used to be like??

OR are you accusing me of untruths?
I think, at a push and if I could be bothered, given the long rundowns that you give us all, that we could actually fairly accurately document your life since the post war period, including at least first degree relatives. We all know that your family members have moved out east and virtually know your timetable of visiting them , both too and from.

You clearly disregard the Howefamily comments despite them PERSONALLY living there. That is I feel a tad ill-advised and rude. I have previously had this "discussion " with you on more than one occasion. Age on this earth does not mean that you automatically know better/ more than everyone else.
Jeez.... This is just like an episode of Groundhog Day but there again I find Bill Murray quite amusing. Please consider that other people on this forum actually sometimes know more than you. You live in Vancouver, a long long long way away from the place which is being discussed.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 14th 2016 at 6:15 am. Reason: Save me please- alarm will go off daily and we will have to relive it again and again
Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:37 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Hanzo
I think there are pros and cons in all cities! Let's be honest, no one move over to Canada for the nicer weather?!

Weather in the West coast is less harsh in comparison which I'd prefer but I can't afford to have the space I like so I'll just put on my layers and wrap up warm! A sauna and jacuzzi is on my wish list already, I can just hibernate when it gets bad!
Hi Hanzo
We certainly did- love the weather where we are
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Hi Hanzo
We certainly did- love the weather where we are
How cold does it get in winter?
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:20 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
How cold does it get in winter?
I reckon that when winter hits then typical days are between -5c and 0c we have had it colder, less usual though. Worst was -25c . We don't get loads of wind and windchill unless you are up on the mountains skiing is minimal. That temp was the only time it got that low. The snow falls as fluffy powder and is great to ski on and usually great to move. We had a couple of big dumps(big on our scale, not Eastern scale) of snow, one on the first day back in New Year. Chaos!
The valleys are usually main fairly clear of snow but there is usually plenty up the ski- hills. Scilly might correct me on this though
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon that when winter hits then typical days are between -5c and 0c we have had it colder, less usual though. Worst was -25c . We don't get loads of wind and windchill unless you are up on the mountains skiing is minimal. That temp was the only time it got that low. The snow falls as fluffy powder and is great to ski on and usually great to move. We had a couple of big dumps(big on our scale, not Eastern scale) of snow, one on the first day back in New Year. Chaos!
The valleys are usually main fairly clear of snow but there is usually plenty up the ski- hills. Scilly might correct me on this though
Not bad. I've never been to that area in winter, just full on summer, so wasn't sure how winter was like.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:31 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not bad. I've never been to that area in winter, just full on summer, so wasn't sure how winter was like.
I genuinely would say perfect- it was more cloudy last year but head up the mountains and you get your sun .
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Getting back to the subject of dogs.
We flew out golden retriever to NS in 2011 with Thomas Cook. Do they still exist because we did it directly with them. No messing around with third parties. I even saw the poor girl lifted on to a pallet and taken away on a fork lift 😢
Thanks for that, just checked and they don't have this route anymore! Looks like either pay £2k+ with AC via pet agent or Air Transat to Montreal and drive. That's $500 or so...I even look at cruise or cargo ship options but won't work either!
Old Oct 14th 2016, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've heard your region does have better weather but not been yet! I think as Brits we just get on with it regardless! Weather isn't my main concern, hopefully I'll get to work in travel again (currently work for tour operator in the U.K.) so I can fly to more exotic places for holidays.

Anyone here work from home? I'm looking into baking as a part time hobby/business but unsure what regulations require when using home kitchen. I know it differs from provinces but can't seem to get much clear info yet.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

everyone has their own thoughts on NS. We moved here in 2008 and love it. We live relatively rural just outside Amherst which is on the border to NB. Every winter has been different some with more snow that others. Saying that I have not yet missed a days work due to the snow and I have had to stay and do 24 hour shifts because someone couldn't get in but that is part and parcel on my job unfortunately and not one where I can leave and go home if no-one comes in. We used airpets and bought 3 dogs with us and they was great and for us well worth the money as the dogs followed us ot 5 days after we arrived and had taken possession of our house
Old Oct 14th 2016, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
everyone has their own thoughts on NS. We moved here in 2008 and love it. We live relatively rural just outside Amherst which is on the border to NB. Every winter has been different some with more snow that others. Saying that I have not yet missed a days work due to the snow and I have had to stay and do 24 hour shifts because someone couldn't get in but that is part and parcel on my job unfortunately and not one where I can leave and go home if no-one comes in. We used airpets and bought 3 dogs with us and they was great and for us well worth the money as the dogs followed us ot 5 days after we arrived and had taken possession of our house
We've enquired with air pets too and they've been helpful so far and quotes comparable with others. We also like to live in more remote settings but decided on areas around 30mins drive to Halifax as it'll give us more job opportunities.

Also, we noticed there aware so much properties for sale in the surburbs. It's everywhere and they're all lovely areas and well kept with reasonable prices. Realtor said a lot of older generations is downsizing and moving closer to cities or community where perhaps care and medical will be easily accessible. So, condos I n town are more sought after which means most accept lower offers asking it a buyers' market for now.

The worrying thing is most towns we visited are pretty deserted, we got a feeling that it's a very aging population with young people moving away for jobs etc. It's sad to see shops empty on the high streets.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 12:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
That's pretty weak and insulting resorting to the lies comment. There are people on this forum who are not all complimentary about Vancouver and Via Rail. Using your logic they must be liars too.

You remind me of my mum. What she 'knows' and what her friends tell her is real and other people's experiences are not.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
everyone has their own thoughts on NS.
My experience of the weather in Halifax NS is that approximately 5% of the time, that I've been there, the prevailing condition has been hurricane with trees hurtling horizontally. This makes Halifax statistically more hospitable to me than Galveston TX where approximately 33% of the time hurricane was the prevailing condition.

I hope this helps (at least as much as other peoples' observations of the weather).
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:20 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.