Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Old Oct 10th 2016, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Hi all,
Just return from our short landing trip to Nova Scotia, such a relief that the important part is completed and all went smoothly!

Our initial plan is to see the place and decide between Vancouver and NS..though I know I prefer Vancouver more, realistically we won't have the same quality of life there with crazy housing costs etc. NS took me by surprise! It's so much better than expect and we were so lucky with weather too! We tour around many places, though the remote parts are lovely, it's also very quiet and with a large aging population. We've decided on moving to areas around 20-30 mins drive to Halifax due to more job opportunities and ease to travel abroad.

We've viewed houses and particular like the houses in Beaver Bank, Hammond Plains, Fall River areas as well as Lawerence town and Porters lake area. It's just 2 of us and 2 dogs so really happy with the space we can get compare to UK prices!

It'll be lovely to get to know anyone in the area, everyone we come across are super friendly...it's a bit sad now after returning to the UK..hit with the stress with traffic almost straight away but we can count down now and look forward to our move.

Wondering anyone there work from home? I'm trying to find out rules for baking from home but found it difficult to get exact info. Appreciate any info on this!

Also, I can see Westjet don't transport pets to and from UK, has anyone did this all yourself? Or did most of you use an agent to get dogs across? Just trying to keep costs down as much as possible!

Any tips or advice about moving to NS will be much appreciated!!
Old Oct 10th 2016, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Hanzo
Also, I can see Westjet don't transport pets to and from UK, has anyone did this all yourself? Or did most of you use an agent to get dogs across? Just trying to keep costs down as much as possible!

BE wiki is your friend

Transporting Pets-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:07 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Our initial plan is to see the place and decide between Vancouver and NS..though I know I prefer Vancouver more,
Really?

After visiting NS two weeks ago, I know what I prefer
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I did actually read this up but just thought if anyone has experience to share on bringing to Halifax specifically as flights there from UK is limited and sometimes seasonal. I think only Air Canada and BA fly direct there but both may have to be booked via agent which means higher costs?!

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Don't get me wrong...if I win the lottery now, I'll move to Vancouver without doubt but comparing cost of living, friendliness, space and less traffic, NS seems to be the winner..to us anyway!

As it's our 2nd career with husband semi retiring, we just don't want to work non stop paying for a small place out in Vancouver when we can live cheaply in NS and take more holidays instead.

We also think there are lots of room for business opportunities in NS with lower competition in niche products than a big city...it's an ideal place to try out ideas as start up costs are low, won't hurt so bad it all fails!

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Really?

Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

(don't forget the snow and the tail ends of hurricanes)
Did I miss the pics you were going to post?
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:41 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I did actually read this up but just thought if anyone has experience to share on bringing to Halifax specifically as flights there from UK is limited and sometimes seasonal. I think only Air Canada and BA fly direct there but both may have to be booked via agent which means higher costs?!
BA does not serve Halifax. Only Mapleflot (AC) does on a regular basis.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:42 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong...if I win the lottery now, I'll move to Vancouver without doubt but comparing cost of living, friendliness, space and less traffic, NS seems to be the winner..to us anyway!
I agree.

However if I won the lottery I wouldn't stay in Vancouver.

I can't say for sure as I haven't lived in NS but I think you will have a better life there
Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:44 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yep the snow all the time and lack of mountains to snowboard on puts me off slightly

If there was snow and mountains then...

I haven't posted any pics up yet. I'll have to put some on the random thread at some point
Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

However if I won the lottery I wouldn't stay in Vancouver...
Somewhere around Nice, South of France would do me.

Nothing necessarily fancy, these would do

Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sadly, I don't do winter sports so no mountain no issue but will be nice to have choices I guess!

Saw your photos on your blog, looks lovely! We went to almost same places as you! There isn't many places to see and seems similar after a while..often we're the only 2 people in the high street and beaches! maybe its end of season or it's always the same?!
Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
BA does not serve Halifax. Only Mapleflot (AC) does on a regular basis.
Thanks! I just did a search on flights on BA site for May17 and it give me a price...maybe its codeshare with AC?
AC cargo only deals with agents..so I guess we'll have to start saving for our old dogs!
Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Somewhere around Nice, South of France would do me.

Nothing necessarily fancy, these would do

https://i.jamesvillas.co.uk/images/g...och_ext_12.jpg

http://www.southfrancevillas.com/ass...AM36_large.jpg
Nice one! Wouldn't that be ideal? Villa in France, penthouse in Vancouver, New York and anywhere else?! I can only dream on....

I'm quite happy house hunting in NS for now...for once we walk past the estate agents and knowing we can afford pretty much most of the listings unlike in the U.K, we may just afford a garage in London!!
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to see you had a nice experience, please keep us informed on how things go when you move over
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of photo's on Becki's blog. NS looks really nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.