Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Old Oct 15th 2016, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Hanzo
Thanks so much! I'll definitely bear this in mind as I can't live without fast connections!! I've an online crafty shop business so rely heavily on internet access. Although you got me thinking with farm eggs now....
One thing to keep in mind is that internet shopping is not as big as it is in the UK, I think because shipping costs & an unreliable post service make it not worth doing for most. I wanted to buy something from the other side of the country last month, the item was $5 & they wanted $40 for the shipping , needless to say I chose not to make a purchase. Even the big chain stores tend to have lousy websites, presumably because not a lot of people use them.

We moved to NS 3 months ago & are still trying to figure out what we want to do in terms of starting a business.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
We moved to NS 3 months ago & are still trying to figure out what we want to do in terms of starting a business.
A counselling service for people affected by the 'brutal' winters?
Old Oct 15th 2016, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A counselling service for people affected by the 'brutal' winters?
Haha. I've not experienced it yet though, might need my own counsellor.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The shipping charges in Canada can be insane, I live near the border and find most of the time even with the poor exchange rate with the USD, that its cheaper and faster to just order from the US and cross and pick it up at a parcel receiver.

Order something from Montreal, takes 7-10 days to get to BC, order from eastern US to Washington state, 2-3 days and usually free shipping.

Originally Posted by confused_uk
One thing to keep in mind is that internet shopping is not as big as it is in the UK, I think because shipping costs & an unreliable post service make it not worth doing for most. I wanted to buy something from the other side of the country last month, the item was $5 & they wanted $40 for the shipping , needless to say I chose not to make a purchase. Even the big chain stores tend to have lousy websites, presumably because not a lot of people use them.

Old Oct 15th 2016, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The shipping charges in Canada can be insane, I live near the border and find most of the time even with the poor exchange rate with the USD, that its cheaper and faster to just order from the US and cross and pick it up at a parcel receiver.

Order something from Montreal, takes 7-10 days to get to BC, order from eastern US to Washington state, 2-3 days and usually free shipping.
You're lucky you're near the border
Old Oct 16th 2016, 1:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The shipping charges in Canada can be insane
On the other hand shipping charges can be less from all the way over in BC to here than for just over the border in Maine and not be anything to do with customs.

Likewise it might be quicker to get something from BC than closer in the US.

In the main, though, stuff in the USA is cheaper. I've come across a ton of things that quote a US price and then quote a higher price for a Canadian address and it's not because of delivery because those charges are then added.

I guess it's the price we pay up here for having a more civilised country
Old Oct 16th 2016, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I think, at a push and if I could be bothered, given the long rundowns that you give us all, that we could actually fairly accurately document your life since the post war period, including at least first degree relatives. We all know that your family members have moved out east and virtually know your timetable of visiting them , both too and from.

You clearly disregard the Howefamily comments despite them PERSONALLY living there. That is I feel a tad ill-advised and rude. I have previously had this "discussion " with you on more than one occasion. Age on this earth does not mean that you automatically know better/ more than everyone else.
Jeez.... This is just like an episode of Groundhog Day but there again I find Bill Murray quite amusing. Please consider that other people on this forum actually sometimes know more than you. You live in Vancouver, a long long long way away from the place which is being discussed.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've heard your region does have better weather but not been yet! I think as Brits we just get on with it regardless! Weather isn't my main concern, hopefully I'll get to work in travel again (currently work for tour operator in the U.K.) so I can fly to more exotic places for holidays.

Anyone here work from home? I'm looking into baking as a part time hobby/business but unsure what regulations require when using home kitchen. I know it differs from provinces but can't seem to get much clear info yet.
I don't think anyone's answered this yet: here's a link with contacts for further info:
https://novascotia.ca/sns/paal/nse/paal006.asp

Depending on what you intend to bake, & where/how you intend to sell the baked products, permit & facilities standards & requirements may vary.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I don't think anyone's answered this yet: here's a link with contacts for further info:
https://novascotia.ca/sns/paal/nse/paal006.asp

Depending on what you intend to bake, & where/how you intend to sell the baked products, permit & facilities standards & requirements may vary.
Thanks! I did check this link out but difficult to get full details as it is never black and white! I'm intending to make celebration cakes so will involve milk products etc which I believe will have stricter rules requiring separate kitchen and inspection etc. I think many come across this issue which makes renting commercial kitchen an easier option.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm intending to make celebration cakes so will involve milk products etc which I believe will have stricter rules requiring separate kitchen and inspection etc.
I'm intrigued, as somebody that owns a cake related business, why does celebration cakes = milk products, what is it you put in them?
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm intrigued, as somebody that owns a cake related business, why does celebration cakes = milk products, what is it you put in them?
Sorry, I mean it is cakes in general..as it involves use of dairy products such as eggs and milk/ cream etc. I think because of this, I need to have separate kitchen.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I mean it is cakes in general..as it involves use of dairy products such as eggs and milk/ cream etc. I think because of this, I need to have separate kitchen.
Ah, eggs and cream I get - it was the milk related bit that threw me, couldn't think why celebration cakes would mean putting milk in them.

Didn't realise you had to have a separate kitchen in Canada, that's a really tough rule, thank goodness it's not the same in the UK or I'd be scuppered!
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I did check this link out but difficult to get full details as it is never black and white! I'm intending to make celebration cakes so will involve milk products etc which I believe will have stricter rules requiring separate kitchen and inspection etc. I think many come across this issue which makes renting commercial kitchen an easier option.
You'll probably only get full details via a face-to-face meeting, with a business plan & detailled info about your proposed set-up, with the ptb, although you *might* get some hints via email.

I'm not familiar with NS regulations, but a couple of provinces over, you'd need at the very least a permit, food handling safety certification & inspection of the kitchen etc etc etc.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Shame the recent posts got deleted, I'll have to PM poster instead...
Yes it is 3 months old thread but just a quick update!

We've received out PR card now, hubby will be moving out in Jun first while I carry on working till Aug. Hopefully he'll get most things sorted then.

Dogs still an issue in terms of moving due to their breed and nature...still no solution as yet.

The latest is we're thinking to open a dog kennel business but cannot find any regulations or permits required for this..we're looking at properties with lots of land (isn't hard in NS!) but unsure regulations on building permission for this kind of business...does anyone know where to start checking? Would policy be different by each county?

We're excited and a little worry about the uncertainty but sure is the right time to leave..things just don't seem to get better here!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shame the recent posts got deleted, I'll have to PM poster instead...
Yes it is 3 months old thread but just a quick update!

We've received out PR card now, hubby will be moving out in Jun first while I carry on working till Aug. Hopefully he'll get most things sorted then.

Dogs still an issue in terms of moving due to their breed and nature...still no solution as yet.

The latest is we're thinking to open a dog kennel business but cannot find any regulations or permits required for this..we're looking at properties with lots of land (isn't hard in NS!) but unsure regulations on building permission for this kind of business...does anyone know where to start checking? Would policy be different by each county?

We're excited and a little worry about the uncertainty but sure is the right time to leave..things just don't seem to get better here!
Zoning laws, licensing laws... For zoning/building/permits talk to city/municipality/county where you are looking at buying/building. They should/will also be able to tell you who to talk to about permits & lisences needed (if required) for a kennel/dog boarding business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.