Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

Old Oct 11th 2016, 4:11 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful landing trip Nova Scotia

We brought our cat on the same AC flight as us. Checked him into the hold when we got to the checkin desk. Cost around $100 if I remember rightly.

Give them a call.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
We brought our cat on the same AC flight as us. Checked him into the hold when we got to the checkin desk. Cost around $100 if I remember rightly.

Give them a call.
Thanks for the info! I think my issue is my big dog being over their weight limit as check in luggage so I have to send him as cargo which they only allow a pet agent to arrange, hence the high cost! Got some quotes now and over £2k! Cost aside, I'm worry about how he'll take it...he's an escapee that jumped out from 2nd floor window and broken his leg before..major anxiety issues!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

NS is lovely ....... until you get 4-5' snow on Boxing Day

They're currently suffering from the tail end of Hurricane Matthew that went through on Monday .................. Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Still a lot of power outages 2 days later, and flood damage.

We visit there regularly because that's where daughter and her family live, but I wouldn't want to spend all the winter months there. It can be brutal!

Mind you, we're about to get the tail end of Typhoon Songda in Vancovuer!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Hanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond reputeHanzo has a reputation beyond repute

Guess we got back just in time before hurricane Matthew got there, we had 10 days of sunshine but understand is not normal. Don't mind so much about snow as used to live in Switzerland and quite like it..but it's the rain and grey I hate but is the same in the UK.

In an ideal world, spending winter months in Florida would be perfect but just need to take one step at a time, got to move over first and try to settle first.

Originally Posted by scilly
NS is lovely ....... until you get 4-5' snow on Boxing Day

They're currently suffering from the tail end of Hurricane Matthew that went through on Monday .................. Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Still a lot of power outages 2 days later, and flood damage.

We visit there regularly because that's where daughter and her family live, but I wouldn't want to spend all the winter months there. It can be brutal!

Mind you, we're about to get the tail end of Typhoon Songda in Vancovuer!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:51 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanzo
Guess we got back just in time before hurricane Matthew got there, we had 10 days of sunshine but understand is not normal. Don't mind so much about snow as used to live in Switzerland and quite like it..but it's the rain and grey I hate but is the same in the UK.

In an ideal world, spending winter months in Florida would be perfect but just need to take one step at a time, got to move over first and try to settle first.

I have been here for 5 and a half years and that sunshine is absolutely normal. The high temps not so much. Usually temps are in low teens in the day at this time of year not in the twenties like they have been. The Fall here is gorgeous - blue skies, sun, warm days, cool nights. That's normal.

Winters are not typically brutal, two years ago yes but last winter and all the winters we have experienced before that have been ok. Its the freeze, thaw, freeze trend that takes some getting used to. I wouldn't use the term brutal though.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Howefamily! Glad to hear the climate info, it's really helpful! Yes, we all dislike the slush, don't we?

I guess nothing is perfect and certainly from what I've experienced, just the friendliness of everyone I've come across, amazing spaces with no crowds, no traffic to get stuck on, the affordable housing, it ticked a lot of boxes! Oh, an the seafood of course!

It'll be lovely to keep in touch, does any of you arrange meet ups in the past? Are there many of us Brits in the area? I know most probably have their own things to do but just a thought!

I have been here for 5 and a half years and that sunshine is absolutely normal. The high temps not so much. Usually temps are in low teens in the day at this time of year not in the twenties like they have been. The Fall here is gorgeous - blue skies, sun, warm days, cool nights. That's normal.

Winters are not typically brutal, two years ago yes but last winter and all the winters we have experienced before that have been ok. Its the freeze, thaw, freeze trend that takes some getting used to. I wouldn't use the term brutal though.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:18 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Hanzo
Thanks Howefamily! Glad to hear the climate info, it's really helpful! Yes, we all dislike the slush, don't we?

I guess nothing is perfect and certainly from what I've experienced, just the friendliness of everyone I've come across, amazing spaces with no crowds, no traffic to get stuck on, the affordable housing, it ticked a lot of boxes! Oh, an the seafood of course!

It'll be lovely to keep in touch, does any of you arrange meet ups in the past? Are there many of us Brits in the area? I know most probably have their own things to do but just a thought!
Lots of us know each other, let me know when you come back this way and we can arrange a coffee with some others, happy to help!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lots of us know each other, let me know when you come back this way and we can arrange a coffee with some others, happy to help!
That'll be lovely! It'll be good to get to know someone especially in a new country!! I'll be in touch!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 4:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Winters are not typically brutal....
Although if you live in Vancouver you might think so.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

think we've been through this before ..........

you're talking 5½ years experience.

I'm talking 17 years of experience

Now .................. it could be the climate change, or an anomaly.

But I can assure you that winter 2011 was not brilliant, and several before that were brutal.

Hurricane Juan and White Juan are also always likely to be repeated any year ...............

NS is on the North Atlantic after all, and there was a reason why sailors have always hated the NA route

I think what I am trying to say is, don't get too complacent after only 5½ years!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

But I can assure you that winter 2011 was not brilliant, and several before that were brutal.

Hurricane Juan and White Juan are also always likely to be repeated any year ...............

NS is on the North Atlantic after all, and there was a reason why sailors have always hated the NA route

I think what I am trying to say is, don't get too complacent after only 5½ years!
I think there are pros and cons in all cities! Let's be honest, no one move over to Canada for the nicer weather?!

Weather in the West coast is less harsh in comparison which I'd prefer but I can't afford to have the space I like so I'll just put on my layers and wrap up warm! A sauna and jacuzzi is on my wish list already, I can just hibernate when it gets bad!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You're not equating years of visiting with actual day to day living there surely?

My wife and her family lived through the ice storms in Montreal. That's brutal. Maybe dismiss Montreal too?
Old Oct 14th 2016, 12:19 am
Happy

OH for goodness sake, here we go again. I live here, you visit.
I don't have an issue with the weather at all.. Tomorrow Calgary have snow, we have decent Fall sunshine and warm temps... Nothing to complain about.
We have different views. You don't need to be so patronizing.

Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:47 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Although if you live in Vancouver you might think so.
Watch out for the earthquakes though.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to the subject of dogs.
We flew out golden retriever to NS in 2011 with Thomas Cook. Do they still exist because we did it directly with them. No messing around with third parties. I even saw the poor girl lifted on to a pallet and taken away on a fork lift 😢

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.