Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Substitute Teaching

Substitute Teaching

Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:49 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Substitute Teaching

Hope someone can help. I taught secondary school for almost 20 years in the UK and now after 5 years in Canada my PEI licence should be here next week so I can hopefully get out into the school system as a substitute in September.
I've been tutoring local kids since I arrived so the curriculum and different terminology isn't a problem (it's a trapezium not a trapezoid ) but I've never actually experienced a Canadian high school classroom....
Any hints and tips and things to avoid (or ignore) would be great. Feels like I'm just starting out as a NQT again
Thanks
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Substitute Teaching

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
Hope someone can help. I taught secondary school for almost 20 years in the UK and now after 5 years in Canada my PEI licence should be here next week so I can hopefully get out into the school system as a substitute in September.
I've been tutoring local kids since I arrived so the curriculum and different terminology isn't a problem (it's a trapezium not a trapezoid ) but I've never actually experienced a Canadian high school classroom....
Any hints and tips and things to avoid (or ignore) would be great. Feels like I'm just starting out as a NQT again
Thanks
How did it take you 5 years to get your licence?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:25 am
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
How did it take you 5 years to get your licence?
It didn't - I only applied in April Only decided then that I wanted to get back into the classroom!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

It didn't - I only applied in April Only decided then that I wanted to get back into the classroom!
Oh ok, I get it. Is it easy to get into the system there? Both my hubby and I are teachers. He has permanent position here in BC but it's quite tough to get back into the system when you have taken a couple of years out.
Best of luck. I hear it is beautiful there.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
At 20 YOX I assume you well versed in regular classroom and pedagogical drill re class management, comportment, housekeeping, etc. . BTW, are you interested in obtaining a contract/FT pos. ?

Most of PEI draws from a rural (Charlottetown=semi-rural) catchment. I'm guessing you'd get a fair deal of seasonal absence and disinterest within classes (I once taught in the rural UK . . .)?

From what I have come to experience/expect:
*Expect a class size of 28-38 kids (cramped rooms).
*Expect to have integrated kids (MD, LD, BD, Physical Disability, Asperger, Downs, etc.).
*Understand the school's code of student conduct - is really applied or just eye-candy.
*Technology changes (kids:cell, MP3, graphic cal. with games, etc.).
*Tech changes teaching [slow]- computerised attendance, digital student confidential files, mark reporting, HUD white board, LCD Projector, et al.).
*Overloaded teaching staff (=indifference).
*Overloaded administration (=ignorance).
*Lack of textbooks, supplies and on-site physical resources. You may have to be very resourceful . .
*Run-down schools (poor maintenance, filth, poor heating system . . .). Wear a boiler suit and a sweater .

Hints/tips:
(0) After working for a little bit, be very selective of what schools you cover when subbing - find out each school's rep and history, etc.
(1) Network with the staff - make friends and ask them for help.
(2) Take the first line of discipline into your own hands. Admin usually don't respect apron string teachers: apply conduct req's, give detentions seldomly & justly, call parents, fill in conduct reports for administration (paper trail), isolate and dissolve ringleaders, wheedle the class clown(s), and smile to the nice kids. When subbing get a full class list, and if possible, have staff flag/profile it for you.
(3) Suss out the admin - helpful or not, you may need to rely upon them for major discipline issues.
(4) Placate the mouthy, bothersome parents. Don't take any crap from misinformed yobs; don't deal with them.
(4) Enjoy the job; but leave it at work.
(5) If you end up in a hell-hole, change schools and don't ever look back . . .

Best of luck to you; I'm sure if you survived 20 years (hard time) you can manage the pastoral chosen of Anne's russet Isle.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Have some business cards made with the subject areas you are willing to sub in.

Until you have some schools you reguarly work in leave these in the letter/mail slots/boxes of the teachers you would like to sub for.

DON'T sub for crazy, disorganized or harassed teachers - their classrooms will be a zoo!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:20 pm
Going back....

Thanks for the info and encouragement so far - most helpful.

Full time teaching is virtually impossible to get into on PEI (as in many other places) but I'm lucky to be able to tutor a lot and since my daughter is still only three it'll be a few years before I'm ready for that sort of commitment to be honest - a bit of time to work my way in hopefully!

I also teach high school math up to Calculus and IB courses so I'm hoping there might be a bit more opportunity for me, especially if I ever actually get round to building on my rusty French O level and could teach in both languages

Any more input would be welcome.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:53 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

DON'T sub for crazy, disorganized or harassed teachers - their classrooms will be a zoo!

These would be the grossly incompetent ones who have a job for life, as nobody in education management has the guts to fire them.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

These would be the grossly incompetent ones who have a job for life, as nobody in education management has the guts to fire them.
No - they aren't necessarily "grossly incompetent," and may have many other equally valuable gifts to bring to their classroom and to the kids! For instance they may be deeply compassionate, and may be the only teacher to understand some of the misfits. They may be artistic or have a flair for the unusual.

However, since society seems to want to turn out social conformers who avoid risks, and who accept McJobs, the organized teacher is the best one to sub for. They may actually be giving less of "value" to the kids than the "crazies!"
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
However, since society seems to want to turn out social conformers who avoid risks, and who accept McJobs, the organized teacher is the best one to sub for. They may actually be giving less of "value" to the kids than the "crazies!"
I agree wholeheartedly.

Ruby(a teacher in BC)
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No - they aren't necessarily "grossly incompetent," and may have many other equally valuable gifts to bring to their classroom and to the kids! For instance they may be deeply compassionate, and may be the only teacher to understand some of the misfits. They may be artistic or have a flair for the unusual.

Originally Posted by RubyRose
I agree wholeheartedly.

Ruby(a teacher in BC)
Teachers that lack the ability to be organized are incompetent. They are not zany, they are not like robin williams in dead poets society - being incompetent cannot be defended by saying 'yeah man I don't subscribe to societal norms of "competence" because you know, that's conformist'

It's also funny how advocates of non-conformism always seem to be the most judgemental. Yeah, look at the us we are the creative free thinkers looking down on ordinary people with their mcjobs. Hypocrites
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Teachers that lack the ability to be organized are incompetent. They are not zany, they are not like robin williams in dead poets society - being incompetent cannot be defended by saying 'yeah man I don't subscribe to societal norms of "competence" because you know, that's conformist'

It's also funny how advocates of non-conformism always seem to be the most judgemental. Yeah, look at the us we are the creative free thinkers looking down on ordinary people with their mcjobs. Hypocrites
Have you managed 35 teachers?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you managed 35 teachers?
How is that relevant to what I said.

Presumably to manage 35 teachers you need organizational ability. Not an expert on teaching, but I would guess you have to make lesson plans, homework plans, provide some kind of structure in the class room. If a teacher is unable to do this that makes them incompetent I would say.

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 7th 2010 at 9:59 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have. And from my years of experience in admin organizational skills are not always any one teacher's forte. The admin does have to work with those teachers. However, organizational skills are not the only tools the teacher uses to teach.

While I would not choose to sub in a classroom of some teachers (as I mentioned above) because I would have to rely on their organization for the success or failure of my work day, I wouldn't refuse to employ a teacher just because their day planner as not up to scratch.

I'm just irritated by people who take a cursory look at either teachers or the work they do (or they see them do) and judge whether or not they could survive in the "real" world of employment.

Bottom line - you don't have to be a classroom nazi to be a great teacher. There - I've just succumbed to Godwin's Law!

Last edited by triumphguy; Aug 7th 2010 at 11:10 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
some kind of structure in the class room.
BTW I was the most unorganized teacher I have ever met.... much to the despair of my admin. However, in working with street kids, kids just out of jail and gangbangers my freewheeling, flexible approach meant more success for these kids than the school board had seen in years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.