Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stupid question on electrical goods

Stupid question on electrical goods

Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:17 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid question on electrical goods

Originally Posted by james.mc
Obvious in one sense, but the transformer can also be used for other items that may be 220 VAC. It's not limited to just one item only. The OP may have other 220VAC items. A new coffee machine running on 110 will still not help the other 220VAC items that may require power.
We have one transformer in the kitchen that stays there permanently. It runs quite a few UK kitchen gadgets which we would otherwise have had to replace. As the years go by we replace old worn out UK stuff with Canadian/American stuff and no doubt one day we won't need a transformer any more (although it will probably still run our Pure radio).
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
if you want coffee you can either have instant
Apart from not tasting anything much like coffee, fine for some people I guess.

Originally Posted by Shard
or make some on a Bialetti (stove top espresso). No need for fancy machines.
I tried with stove top espresso makers for years before buying a high end beans to cup machine and, whilst I managed to make some nice tasting coffee, I found it pretty much impossible to produce anything resembling a proper espresso with one. Just pressing a button on the chrome monster (as my wife likes to refer to it), is way less hassle too.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Look at this way. With a 1300 watt draw, your transformer is going to cost you 74.99 plus shipping for your T20. Since you can buy a T20 at Walmart for 78.77 http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tassimo-...m-t20/10073242. what do you think the better option is?
Ahhhh...............the voice of sense & reason! I just so wanted it now, but that makes sense. Will sell it & get one once we've arrived. I just got it so cheap here & will make a profit as got it for £30 & it's still in it's packaging with a guarantee.

Thank you.

I will still get a transformer for my straighteners & a few other bits.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:09 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Hair straighteners, electrical goods, transformers and such will be just the beginning of the real roller-coaster ride of the new immigrant.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:15 am
Just Joined

uknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the rough

Hi
To give another option we paid $250 and an electrician put in 220 sockets into the kitchen, laundry and one in the man land. I use all my kitchen stuff from UK and NZ my beloved dyson etc and for my hair dryer and straighteners etc i use an extension lead or use it in the laundry. All the tools can be used in the man land etc as it does cost so much to replace everything on top of the move etc. we are replacing things as and when but it does give us time.

Just another idea for you to consider. :-)
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a transformer for straighteners -travel adaptor will do
Old Dec 9th 2012, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

spud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond repute

On the question of Transformers. We ditched most of our electrical stuff before we came over, the exception my wifes Bodi-Tek Power Trainer. it runs 50Hz and 220v - 240 Vac voltage with max power of 200w, 1.5hp. Will a transformer do the trick, i am quite thick on electrical stuff, thanks.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

ruggedscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Why you buying a transformer ?

You do know that most canadian houses have 220v supplied to them ? they use this for the high power items like cookers and laundry and such - check your main box and see if you have a 220v supply. if you do bingo.

See about getting an electrician to install some 220v sockets this would run your 240v equipment ok - you would need to check that the equipment was properly protected with fuses and such as it would be two live wires instead of a live and a neutral.

Have a look into it as it might be workable and a lot cheaper than a transformer.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

On sale this week Canadian Tire. $68 not worth thinking about transformers same one tasimo