Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Studying in Canada

Studying in Canada

Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:17 pm
...christiano19

Post Studying in Canada

Can anyone help me ?

I am 19yrs old and have GCSE qualifications, i started my A Levels but never finished them.

However, i am going to continue my studies in Canada, what level do i need to start at, theres so many certificate, diplomas etc ?

My overall aim is to meet the enterance requirements for Law Studies at University.

Thanks

Christiano

Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in Canada

You would need to find out the admissions requirements of each university at which you were considering studying.

The University of Calgary, to use only one example, accepts GCE Advanced and GCSE/IGCSE/GCE Ordinary level Examining Board Certificates from the United Kingdom in order to enroll for studies leading to an undergraduate (bachelor's) degree. At least that is what it states on this page of its web site:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/international.html

At the University of Calgary, and I think at other Canadian universities too, a law degree is, to all intents and purposes, a post-graduate degree. Although it's not strictly speaking necessary in theory, in practice you have to have earned an undergraduate degree (which normally takes four years to acquire) before you'll be admitted to law school.

If you are contemplating a law degree, I imagine it would be helpful to take an undergraduate degree that includes several courses in law. The University of Calgary offers an undergraduate degree, Bachelor of Arts in Law and Society, which is a useful stepping stone towards a law degree. However, I have two friends, one an engineer in Edmonton and the other a microbiologist in Calgary, who entered Law School without previously having taken courses in law.

As I said before, you would need to do further research with respect to the specific universities you were contemplating.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Studying in Canada

You will need A-levels to go to university. Because you don't have them, you can go to a local college to do whatever the entrance requirements are for the universities you are interested in. Many of these local colleges are very highly regarded in their own right.

I'm not sure that you are talking about going through law school itself. If you are, you should know that it is highly competitive and regarded as graduate level. I know one person who was accepted to the University of Calgary's law school after only two years of undergraduate work. He was truly remarkable. Most people do an undergraduate degree in something like politics or philosophy or history...well, anything really, and then apply to law school. Good luck!