Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

study fees - international or resident?

study fees - international or resident?

Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough
Default study fees - international or resident?

Hi

We were initially looking to move over (providing visa application ok !) after I had completed my post grad in Primary Education.
However, We think we may be in the position to move sooner, so I am going to apply to uni both here and in Toronto for teaching and see what happens.

The question I have is: If I were to be accepted at Toronto Uni and If we have recieved our visa's (via skilled worker) before I start. What fees would I pay? Would they be residents fees?? Because international fees are HUGE !!

Thanks in advance

the blairs
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:34 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: study fees - international or resident?

Originally Posted by the blairs
Hi

We were initially looking to move over (providing visa application ok !) after I had completed my post grad in Primary Education.
However, We think we may be in the position to move sooner, so I am going to apply to uni both here and in Toronto for teaching and see what happens.

The question I have is: If I were to be accepted at Toronto Uni and If we have recieved our visa's (via skilled worker) before I start. What fees would I pay? Would they be residents fees?? Because international fees are HUGE !!

Thanks in advance

the blairs
If you are PR's and can prove you are resident in the province you get residents fees I think. That's how it works in BC at any rate.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all
Default Re: study fees - international or resident?

The Universities in Canada usually have clearly written policies on just this point. So have a good look around on their international student section or even drop them an email.

You would have thought it would be based on your 'status' on the date that the course/programme officially commenced. But it might be from the date you are formally offered a place. The Universities just love international students coz of the extra money it brings in for them so they're quite particular about when you can switch from being an international to a domestic student. They're not keen to lose that extra money!

Also the application deadlines/interview scheduling for domestic and international students is often very different so you need to research it all properly.

Huge difference in fees though I know.

We kept very quiet when the university originally billed my OH as a domestic, but a month or so later they realised their mistake and billed us for the rest - drat and double drat!