Student Considering an IEC Working Visa

Wikiposts

Student Considering an IEC Working Visa

Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Andy_1990 is on a distinguished road
Default Student Considering an IEC Working Visa

Hi guys,

I'm graduating uni (hopefully) in a few months time and have decided i want to move out of England and experience life abroad.

We had a guy from BUNAC come to uni and discuss working visas in the USA, but it is only a 6 month (i believe) visa and wanted a longer trip.
Canada was my next choice, So this week my Visa applications begins.

I'm going through BUNAC as they can assist me in getting a job and accommodation (as well as a visa).

Does anyone on here have past experience with BUNAC (or the SWAP partnership they use)?

I would be also be moving with no support network, so all i was wondering is Canada that much of a culture shock in comparison to England?

I moved away from home for uni and i found it pretty easy.

Any advice and help would be helpful.

Thanks Guys/Gals

Andy
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Wigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud of
Default Re: Student Considering an IEC Working Visa

Hey, just thought I'd say thanks for mentioning SWAP/BUNAC.

I'm in a similar position to you, though I'm just starting uni! Good luck finding the information you need!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:38 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Having never done it I probably am not the best to comment, but I would say that BUNAC is unnecessary. All the application can be done directly with the Canadian High Commission in London for only $150. But if you feel you need BUNAC then fine.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nu_id=7&view=d

The High Commission also have plenty of info about social insurance numbers, resumes, banking so I don't understand the need for BUNAC. And for anything else you could use all those research skills you've learned through your degree.

Last edited by BTJ; Mar 19th 2012 at 12:40 am.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Andy_1990 is on a distinguished road

Thanks BTJ

BUNAC, as far as im aware, are there to assist people like me (and Wigglebury) with all the difficulties that come with moving abroad (assist in visa, SIN, bank acocunt etc), they also have a network of basic jobs and accommodation to help get you started up, so you can theoretically get employed whilst in England, fly over, get your SIN and Bank account and have a support network of people in case of emergencies.

Which is why i posted this, their program is only £250ish which doesnt seem too much to me.
If anyone has used them, they would be able to tell me if it is worth it or not.
I don't mind doing it all myself, if it is easier/worth it to use BUNAC i will.

The only thing that worries me if i do it alone is finding accommodation that will be affordable on a minimum wage and that isnt in a bad area.
I would imagine finiding work wouldn't be too hard (i have worked for 5 years in retail).
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Felixfinch is on a distinguished road

I can't comment on whether it is worth it or not to use BUNAC. I have been in Canada for about 10 days now - staying in White Rock (Surrey, BC) with family friends to find my feet, and currently on Vancouver Island as I wanted a bit of a break (to be honest very homesick and missing my lady).

Anyway - applying for the work permit directly is easy as long as you pay very careful attention to everything that you need to do. As long as you don't leave out any signatures, boxes unticked etc then you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of people are rejected because they messed up their forms which is an easily avoided mistake.

Getting a SIN was easy - I went to a service Canada centre and had it sorted within about 20 minutes. Same with the bank account, walked into HSBC and was sorted with a temporary card and online banking etc in about half an hour. Free account for 13 months normally costing $25 a month. Unlimited transactions etc.

Accommodation - I am lucky in that I have a free homestay. However a lot of people go down the youth hostel route for the first few weeks or a month or even longer. Hostels usually do discounted rates for long stays and you might be able to work for them a little bit to pay towards your accommodation while you look for something more permanent.

I haven't done much serious job searching yet but apparently it is very much a case of getting out there and asking in person or at least over the phone. Big hidden job market.

I am not saying don't do BUNAC - but this has been my experience of doing it solo, just for your info.

Oh also some seasonal places e.g. hotels in ski resorts will hire you before you go out based on a video interview. A friend of mine did this and went to work in Whistler doing breakfast in a hotel every day from 6am... early start but then got lots of the day to go skiing and of course evenings off.

Lastly there is a big community on Facebook of people applying for IEC, if you search IEC 2012 you'll find the group.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'm not convinced that BUNAC is worth the fee. I have had a Work Canada visa from them, and I have another IEC that I did myself.

Setting up SIN etc is not difficult at all. The forms are not tricky either. You are paying for a support network that I never even used.

probably depends on your personality too, how outgoing you are and how easy you find making new friends. But hostels are great places to meet people anyway.

Then again if you don't care about the money then why not