Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stuck Between Driving licenses

Stuck Between Driving licenses

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 9:08 pm
  #16  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,505
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Pretty much. The only legal way to do it would be to go back to the UK, apply to renew at the licence at an address where the OP was resident and then go travelling afterwards. Unless he's going somewhere where a rental car is essential then relying on public transport shouldn't be a problem.

THIS.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-r...riving-licence
To replace your licence you’ll need to:
  • be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
  • not be disqualified from driving for any reason
  • pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
  • provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
Provide your driving licence number, National Insurance number and passport number if you know them.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 3rd 2018 at 9:17 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:46 am
  #17  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,751
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike View Post
If his next resident address would be, say, his parents place, why couldn't he use that address for mailing purposes? Presumably once he leaves Canada, that (or similar address) would be the one he'd use for bank statements etc...?
Because it’s not his current residential address. Once he leaves Canada then he won’t be resident anywhere until he decides to stay put.
BritInParis is online now  
Old Sep 4th 2018, 1:45 am
  #18  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Because it’s not his current residential address. Once he leaves Canada then he won’t be resident anywhere until he decides to stay put.
For which there will be inconveniences. Not any government agencies fault.

If he activates a new TWP, which I believe he mentioned he can maintain continuity of residence and get a BC licence renewed for the term of the TWP.

If one is not permanently resident anywhere, there is nowhere to get a license from.
Aviator is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2018, 12:31 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Location: priced out of Waterloo
Posts: 103
rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

UK Driving licences have a photo and a signature...when I renewed mine I had to use the booth at the post office. If you are not resident how are you going to get your photo and signature recorded?
rawsalad is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2018, 1:48 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
 
neilcumming's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Merida Mexico and Calgary Canada
Posts: 1,042
neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by rawsalad View Post
UK Driving licences have a photo and a signature...when I renewed mine I had to use the booth at the post office. If you are not resident how are you going to get your photo and signature recorded?
I remember sending my forms for 3 licenses car,HGV2 and HGV1 and my persoanl driver card for digital tacho to DVLC Swansea, i never went to a post office. You can do it online ,
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
neilcumming is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2018, 2:39 pm
  #21  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,751
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by rawsalad View Post
UK Driving licences have a photo and a signature...when I renewed mine I had to use the booth at the post office. If you are not resident how are you going to get your photo and signature recorded?
You can do it by post or online. They can pull your photo off your passport.
BritInParis is online now  
Old Sep 10th 2018, 2:55 pm
  #22  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
You can do it by post or online. They can pull your photo off your passport.
However you still have to be resident in the UK to get and hold a UK drivers license.
Aviator is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2018, 2:56 pm
  #23  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,751
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
However you still have to be resident in the UK to get and hold a UK drivers license.
Indeed.
BritInParis is online now  
Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:53 pm
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 73
Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

If you know anyone living in another province you could briefly move to that province and exchange your temporary BC licence for one there, for example, Manitoba issue photocards regardless of how long you have left on your work permit. So you have a friend in MB, move there before you leave on your travels and get a MB driving licence valid for the last 6 months then leave with that. The only time it might not work is if your work permit is province specific.

I also disagree that it's illegal to reapply for your UK driving license without visiting the UK to re-establish residence, this is residence for a licence not for tax purposes. If he has left Canada and intends to return to the UK the amount of time or the fact he has a work permit still is irrelevant, if he left Canada with the intention of travelling then returning to the UK he would not be a Canadian resident by defintion to obtain a Canadian licence either. There is no deception going on or attempt to gain something by dishonesty or to gain an advantage or commit fraud, he has a genuine intention to reside in UK after he leaves Canada so is entitled to get his UK licence back and physically landing, collecting the licence then leaving again is not a requirement for that intention to become 'fact'. Take when you move to Canada, you are immediately resident in Canada but you can still legally use your UK licence until Canadian law requires you change it, or when you land would you immediately throw away your UK licence and get the bus because you're not longer a UK resident so aren't entitled to it? Same with all your UK bank cards. I'd say either option is perfectly valid.

Last edited by Kiowan; Sep 14th 2018 at 8:55 pm.
Kiowan is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2018, 9:25 pm
  #25  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,505
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Originally Posted by Kiowan View Post
If you know anyone living in another province you could briefly move to that province and exchange your temporary BC licence for one there, for example, Manitoba issue photocards regardless of how long you have left on your work permit. So you have a friend in MB, move there before you leave on your travels and get a MB driving licence valid for the last 6 months then leave with that. The only time it might not work is if your work permit is province specific.

I also disagree that it's illegal to reapply for your UK driving license without visiting the UK to re-establish residence, this is residence for a licence not for tax purposes. If he has left Canada and intends to return to the UK the amount of time or the fact he has a work permit still is irrelevant, if he left Canada with the intention of travelling then returning to the UK he would not be a Canadian resident by defintion to obtain a Canadian licence either. There is no deception going on or attempt to gain something by dishonesty or to gain an advantage or commit fraud, he has a genuine intention to reside in UK after he leaves Canada so is entitled to get his UK licence back and physically landing, collecting the licence then leaving again is not a requirement for that intention to become 'fact'. Take when you move to Canada, you are immediately resident in Canada but you can still legally use your UK licence until Canadian law requires you change it, or when you land would you immediately throw away your UK licence and get the bus because you're not longer a UK resident so aren't entitled to it? Same with all your UK bank cards. I'd say either option is perfectly valid.

Then you would be wrong, sorry.


You can USE a UK license abroad (subject to that country's laws) if it has been issued WHILE you were a resident of the UK. You cannot renew it or replace it UNLESS and UNTIL you are resident in the UK. The OP could RETURN to the UK, apply for a replacement drivers license and then leave on their travels again... they just can't apply to replace it until then.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 14th 2018 at 9:29 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 6:42 am
  #26  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
cosmoBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stuck Between Driving licenses

Thanks all for the lively debate. I will probably end up returning to Ireland over Christmas and applying for my license there from my Parents address.
I looked into extending my TWP in September but the processing time took it to the end of the year, anyhow.

I could return to Canada in January, get my TWP at the border, then apply for my License at the ICBC, and begin my travels in February from here.
But it's a toss up as to whether the extra expense of returning, paying rent, etc would be offset by a months wages.

It is going to end up costing me a few grand on flights to get a new license, which is unfortunate, but I haven't been able to find a way around it.

We are planning on travelling in the US and South America, and while I have nothing against public transport in Theory, I have tried it in the US before, and never again.
cosmoBrown is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.