Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling with NS, another province or UK?

Struggling with NS, another province or UK?

Old Nov 20th 2018, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Snowtime is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Struggling with NS, another province or UK?

Hi

I could really do with some advice.

I’m a Brit with PR living in Nova Scotia. I’ve been here for two years and knew it would take time to adjust but didn’t think I would still be struggling now. I suspect I’ve been unlucky with some of my experiences but even off-setting for that, it’s hard to see much hope here.

My challenges are:
- The bias against those from away (Canada and overseas)
- The importance of connections for career opportunities (I am networking like crazy but can’t compete with school/uni alumni/family/right surname)
- I am middle management career wise but the advertised jobs here are entry or senior
- I am struggling with the pace and lack of fulfilment of working below my abilities but am not able to access anything higher
- I’m a shy introvert and I’m getting trampled by those more comfortable with pushing themselves forward (at others’ expense if necessary)

At this point I’m thinking Nova Scotia just isn’t open to someone like me. It’s hard to face but if that’s what it is then the sooner I face it the sooner I can try and recover somewhere else.

Does anyone have any perspective that could help with this? Have you experience of NS and other provinces? How do they compare? I’m at the stage where I am trying to decide between giving a different province a go or returning to the UK. Alternatively, if someone has ​​​​​managed to break through this in NS then I would welcome any tips.

I am not anti NS, it is a beautiful place with much going for it. I think it would be great for families but I am single with no kids so tend to find that keeps doors closed too. It’s just about fit and so far I can’t find something that works here.

Is there a place in Canada which is genuinely welcoming to people from away, is more nature than concrete yet has career opportunities?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

-
Old Nov 20th 2018, 6:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling with NS, another province or UK?

Originally Posted by Snowtime
...- I’m a shy introvert and I’m getting trampled by those more comfortable with pushing themselves forward (at others’ expense if necessary)...
Ontario, specifically around Toronto would seem the most obvious alternative, purely from the jobs side of things (putting aside the concrete issue for Toronto) but over the years I've read many comments on BE from people complaining about the lack of ambition and drive in the workplace.

NS threads usually bring out interesting views. Unfortunately one who would have something useful to say (DandNHill) having moved NS to Ontario no longer posts, but maybe she can be paged by someone (Howefamily?) behind the scenes.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I don't think you will find much difference elsewhere- it was the same in Ontario when we moved here in 2002- you have to prove yourself- no one knows you from Adam, it has taken me 16 years to get somewhere. You do have to accept that any job field, you will start lower than when you left the UK- unless you are really lucky. BUT you will succeed if you have the mindset.

Are you working at the moment? Have you tried looking on workopolis and other websites to see if there are any openings in other provinces? What is your line of work?
Kingston is a nice area, there is plenty of greenery around and its a younger growing hip town....we live in between it and Brockville, the Thousand islands is a lovely area.

Let me know if you think I can be of any help. Good Luck
Old Nov 20th 2018, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that you are struggling in NS. The job market is small here, that's correct, and it's a small population, so everyone is trying to keep what they have, not much movement, once people have a job that they can 'sit out until retirement'. I have been here most of 15 years and never had a problem jobwise fortunately. I've had 2 people ask me during that time 'how did YOU (of all people) get this job? Which was a bit insulting, but that was it. I assume immigrants in UK or other places have to deal with worse.
But I am pretty self-confident and never had doubts about not making it, so what I am saying it could also have to do with personality? What age bracket are you? NS is an 'older' province... young people usually move westwards..
Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses Bristol, Shelley and Woodworm.

Toronto seems to be the most recommended place for multi-culturism and job opportunities. The downsides are reported as concrete, commute and housing costs. Perhaps these things are inevitable with one leading to the other? The comment about opinions on drive and ambition is useful as I don’t have work context for Canada beyond NS at this point.

Shelley, the need to prove myself is understandable. Your feedback of sixteen years is helpful ​​​​​​as I had not realised it could be that long. I was lucky enough to get a job quickly here because knowing that I had to prove myself, I took a near entry level job about ten years behind where I was on leaving the UK. It was supposed to be strategic in that it was for a good company with career prospects thinking that I could prove myself and work my way back up. I didn’t realise that I would alienate my manager by doing my best. I wasn’t intending to be a threat but I think that’s how it landed with her and she orchestrated my departure. I’m currently in my next job but it’s still lower and this time has no scope for growth. It’s also fixed term. I do look on job boards beyond NS but my skill set and experience is broad (business management) so I am overwhelmed with possibilities. This is part of the reason for seeking input on trying to narrow down the geographical part based on fit.

Good to hear about your success here, Woodworm. I think the self-confidence could be an issue. Historically I work somewhere and then get promoted quite rapidly rather than selling myself well at the higher level to begin with. I prefer to show what I can do than sell myself but I suspect that is a mismatch for me with the culture here. Unfortunately my confidence took quite a hit with the bullying boss in my first job here. I’m also concerned that she is well connected and during my time there I saw her relish the opportunity to give a bad reference to someone she didn’t like. If a potential employer goes to her rather than the HR department then I don’t think that would go well. Anyway, I’m late thirties, young enough to make another fresh start but wary of starting from scratch again if the new place isn’t any better.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ontario, specifically around Toronto would seem the most obvious alternative, purely from the jobs side of things
Well, yes. I am right now working on a technical problem with half a dozen people of whom I'm the most Canadian. It's not literally true to say that everyone I work with is from somewhere else but, of the 10% or so who were born here, about half rush to tell you where their parents were born. Being from away is not an issue at all.

That said, there are distinct advantages to hiring people from southern India as there's already a network of Telugu speakers in the building so a new person wanting, say, to know how to configure the VPN can find out much more quickly than say, a francophone. It's not a level playing field, just tilted differently.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:21 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Snowtime, I live in NS too and am fortunate to be in an area that welcome immigrants and there is no mention of "come from away" BS but I know it exists. Whereabouts are you and what do you do career wise? I am wondering if I can help at all.
I will page Nicky and see if she will come and give her thoughts too, as Bristol mentioned, she moved from NS to ON.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

You called? HOWEfamily found me 😊

We moved for the kind of reason you mentioned. We were in Yarmouth, NS and although I was doing fine my hubby lost his job and couldn’t get a new one. We definitely were “come from always” although in some cases we were loved. I was on the radio three times during our 2 years there.
So we moved to Halifax. Better lifestyle except that hubby still couldn’t get a job.

Hubby found a job in ON in 2014 so we packed up once again and moved to New Tecumseth, about an hour or so north of Toronto. I liked the town and people but couldn’t see myself living there forever and we moved to Brampton. That didnt work either!
18 months ago we moved to Hamilton and we love it. I’m building a business in real estate as well as expanding my other business and life is looking good!!

Just be careful you don’t suffer from wanderlust. I truly believe that we’re in Hamilton forever but the thrill of wanting to discover somewhere new is always there.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 5:55 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

UK
Old Nov 21st 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hi Snowtime, I live in NS too and am fortunate to be in an area that welcome immigrants and there is no mention of "come from away" BS but I know it exists. Whereabouts are you and what do you do career wise? I am wondering if I can help at all.
Thanks for the friendly reply, it’s very welcome. I am in HRM and definitely luckier than others I know. My background is in business management so my skill set is pretty varied - finance, strategy, marketing, data analysis, performance management, HR, reporting, etc. I do both operational roles and consultancy.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DandNHill
You called? HOWEfamily found me 😊

We moved for the kind of reason you mentioned. We were in Yarmouth, NS and although I was doing fine my hubby lost his job and couldn’t get a new one. We definitely were “come from always” although in some cases we were loved. I was on the radio three times during our 2 years there.
So we moved to Halifax. Better lifestyle except that hubby still couldn’t get a job.

Hubby found a job in ON in 2014 so we packed up once again and moved to New Tecumseth, about an hour or so north of Toronto. I liked the town and people but couldn’t see myself living there forever and we moved to Brampton. That didnt work either!
18 months ago we moved to Hamilton and we love it. I’m building a business in real estate as well as expanding my other business and life is looking good!!

Just be careful you don’t suffer from wanderlust. I truly believe that we’re in Hamilton forever but the thrill of wanting to discover somewhere new is always there.
Thanks for coming to help! I’m glad to hear you have found a place where you’re happy.

What ways do you find Hamilton different to Yarmouth? Has your husband had better luck with the job market?
Old Nov 21st 2018, 7:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowtime

Thanks for the friendly reply, it’s very welcome. I am in HRM and definitely luckier than others I know. My background is in business management so my skill set is pretty varied - finance, strategy, marketing, data analysis, performance management, HR, reporting, etc. I do both operational roles and consultancy.
Ah, I can see your issue right now as you touch a number of very different streams- finance, marketing, HR...
whats your preference in these? Where is your experience the strongest and dare I ask (in this designation obsessed environment)- are you the holder of a designation?
Old Nov 21st 2018, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I feel some of your pain.

I also have been here just over two years and was ready to head back for most of that time. My deadline for making a change was two years as I could not for life of me seeing the point in wasting more time expecting it to magically improve. My wife wanted to try to stay in Canada so our next move was going to be Ontario, again for two years, before we would pack it in and head back to Blighty.

It took me a while to work out that one needed to "network" in order to find the decent jobs. I thought if I could just get to a point where I could see me recovering to my level in the UK within a few years, certainly no more than 5 overall, then I would be happy. Fortunately, I have met people (talent acquisition managers) who think outside the Nova Scotia box but, I agree, they seem to be thin on the ground.

I have also had experience of a manager getting testy because I was vastly more experienced and knowledgeable than her. Happily, she got pregnant and left on maternity leave. A few months later, I decided to leave that organisation as well to pursue a better opportunity.

Is it possible that you do not have the list of credentials for a given field, or that potential employers are not seeing you as focused on a given area as they would like?
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Ah, I can see your issue right now as you touch a number of very different streams- finance, marketing, HR...
whats your preference in these? Where is your experience the strongest and dare I ask (in this designation obsessed environment)- are you the holder of a designation?
The designation could certainly be an issue as I don’t have one, just my degee in Business Management. Historically I’ve been a generalist, running start ups and small businesses in a venture capital environment and more recently delivering business consultancy as well as training and coaching entrepreneurs. The broad skill set means I am flexible and can bring a lot to the table but it does also mean I haven’t specialised in just one discipline. This makes it harder to market myself to employers who pigeonhole.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I feel some of your pain.

I also have been here just over two years and was ready to head back for most of that time. My deadline for making a change was two years as I could not for life of me seeing the point in wasting more time expecting it to magically improve. My wife wanted to try to stay in Canada so our next move was going to be Ontario, again for two years, before we would pack it in and head back to Blighty.

It took me a while to work out that one needed to "network" in order to find the decent jobs. I thought if I could just get to a point where I could see me recovering to my level in the UK within a few years, certainly no more than 5 overall, then I would be happy. Fortunately, I have met people (talent acquisition managers) who think outside the Nova Scotia box but, I agree, they seem to be thin on the ground.

I have also had experience of a manager getting testy because I was vastly more experienced and knowledgeable than her. Happily, she got pregnant and left on maternity leave. A few months later, I decided to leave that organisation as well to pursue a better opportunity.

Is it possible that you do not have the list of credentials for a given field, or that potential employers are not seeing you as focused on a given area as they would like?
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Are there any talent acquisition managers you could recommend?

Yes, reading this feedback is making it look like NS may need me to specialise if I want to open up more opportunities. I enjoy a multi-disciplinary working environment and have been leery of closing the door on skills and experience that I worked hard for. That said, the doors aren’t exactly open to begin with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.